Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ViolentBeetle

[Ultimate Doom Community Project] Solar Struggle - Making maps where names are pre-selected (Development thread) [Looking for artists] [WE HAVE ALL THE MAPS]

14 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

E1M8: Huygens Spaceport

Now in releasable state.

Compared to previous version:

Made some rooms more spaceous per @PinkFlamingo suggestion

Revised some encounters

Moved decorations around

Changed some textures

Added a whole another medikit

Highlighted a hatch @Clippy fell in by accident, making it more visible

The useless switch that confused Clippy is now molten and obviously non-functioning. Don't ask me how it melted.

Made it possible to backtrack from the final room once barons are dead (You'll need to step on the elevation to raise the platform)

Wow, much better! Everything felt more realistic now and I had fun navigating the level. Funny how only a little bit of extra space can make such a difference.

I played on Hurt Me Plenty and managed to beat the map without dying. Also found the secret. Difficulty was perfect for me. Ammo balance seemed alright as well. Final fight is clever: the lost souls make you hesitate using the rocket launcher, and the cacodemons help you kill/distract the barons.

One final suggestion. To make the shootable wall in the beginning a bit more obvious, you could try making a small crack or a gap in it; or have it split in several segments maybe?

Also, what is the Midi you used? It's a fantastic song.

11 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Also, what is the Midi you used? It's a fantastic song.

End is Nigh by Jamie Robertson (From Plutonia 2, I believe)

I'll see what kind of cracks I could make.

E2M6: Transport Nexus

Author: Jark

Music: "Archvile on Line 2" by @Bucket

PAR: 12:00 (minutes)

Format: Vanilla (Limit-Removing)

IWAD: The Ultimate Doom

Build Time: Two months on and off

Difficulty Settings: Yes

Co-op Support: Yes

Screenshot:

Spoiler

TransportNexus.png.1cb3baa0195948f0c7abbc970ba4efa3.png

Contained below is the download for a .zip file which contains the RAW map file (for compiling) and a version with the resources included (for ease of testing). Please note that while Mediafire might look like an ad site, the download is there on the page.

Download: https://www.mediafire.com/file/68w0kyykujnywyz/TransportNexus.V002.zip/file

A little progress report, as of today every episode has a first and a last map, which is something worth celebrating. I am planning another map pack release in early next year which means if you want to get in, you have about 2 weeks to finish your submission. If you don't, well, you'll probably be in release candidate.

I am also planning to finally post description for intermission screen and title art we need, once I articulate it well enough, so if you are artistically inclined be on a lookout.

Quick progress report: I'm still slowly and steadily making my map. Here's an unfinished automap preview:

Storage_comp.PNG

The areas on the right are brand new, and it's also where Hells influence starts to take form.

10 hours ago, Wavy said:

Quick progress report: I'm still slowly and steadily making my map. Here's an unfinished automap preview:

Storage_comp.PNG

The areas on the right are brand new, and it's also where Hells influence starts to take form.

You have a chance to bring episode 2 to winning the race to completion.

4 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

You have a chance to bring episode 2 to winning the race to completion.

Hopefully! My map still isn't anywhere close to done though. But judging how episode 4 is the only episode that's missing a singular map, it's still possible for episode 2 to be the first completed one.

Happy New Year, fellow strugglers. The new map pack has been released for testing. It contains 28 maps that's been currently submitted in finished state.

UMAPINFO was used to skip missing levels, if your port of choice doesn't support it, you'll have to use good old IDCLEV.

Episode 1 and 3 have no secret level, so secret exit works as regular exit.

Episode 4 doesn't have a level with secret exit yet, so secret level replaced it in progression.

LINK TO THE MAP PACK

Also opening post has been updated

Not all maps have difficulty implemented fully.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

7 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Happy New Year, fellow strugglers. The new map pack has been released for testing. It contains 28 maps that's been currently submitted in finished state.

UMAPINFO was used to skip missing levels, if your port of choice doesn't support it, you'll have to use good old IDCLEV.

Episode 1 and 3 have no secret level, so secret exit works as regular exit.

Episode 4 doesn't have a level with secret exit yet, so secret level replaced it in progression.

LINK TO THE MAP PACK

Also opening post has been updated

Not all maps have difficulty implemented fully.

What a surprise! Will definitely play this, can't wait.

Awesome! Tho I haven't managed to finish the first one, /o\

Real life has been putting the boots to gaming time lately.

(I already posted this on the discord, just posting here since there are a few people who I think aren't on there)

I recorded a playthrough of Episode 1 last night. My first recorded playthrough used Crispy Doom but for some reason bandicam didn't like Crispy and the resulting file was messed up so I switched to prboom. I went for 100% kills on all of the maps to make sure that the monster closets and stuff worked, but I didn't get 100% secrets on a few because I am dumb and can't find secrets sometimes.

E1M3 by @Doomlust
An overall fun map. I noticed a very minor texture misalignment early on (I shoot at it in the video). I also found a way to get into the secret exit very early in the map, which would allow a player to skip maybe 75% of the map and go straight into E1M9.

E1M4 by @Death Bear
Good stuff as always, feels like sort of a spiritual sucessor to your skulltiverse map but more open. The rocket launcher fight was probably my favorite part, just a good clean knock-em-out slugfest with a hoarde of demons. 

E1M6 by @Shawny
This map is probably my favorite in the episode so far. I like the interconnectedness and the good balance between set pieces and incidental combat. Nice visuals, too.

E1M7 by @LoreCaco37
I like the design idea of throwing tons of monster at the player with E1M7, it fits the overall pacing of the episode quite nicely. The outdoor fights stand out to me due to the sheer spectacle of them. I do think the heavy symmetry does hurt the map a little.

E1M8 by @ViolentBeetle
This is a great episode closer. I very much like the concept of having an actual map in the lead up to the episode finale. Good pacing, good lighting, good final fight.

In Summary: I think the progression of what we have so far works really well. No major issues or bugs (except for the secret exit skip in E1M3). Will get to recording E2 and E3 at some point.

Wow. I'm impressed with the overall quality of the maps so far. I also like the strong themes of the episodes; how it feels like I am really traveling from one location to the next in a logical way (rather than just having a series of otherwise unrelated maps).

I have one comment on E1M3 by @Doomlust:

I thought the secret exit was a bit too easy to find. I found the hidden switch almost immediately on my first playthrough. In general, I believe a secret exit should be a bit harder to find than a regular secret area, and involve a bit more searching.

One idea to make the secret harder is to add multiple hidden switches throughout the map (you could keep the same shootable texture for all of them). Each switch could open up a segment of the secret exit door (or the doors could be "layered" behind one another). You could put some of these switches inside already existing secrets.

Just an idea I had.

18 minutes ago, PinkFlamingo said:

Wow. I'm impressed with the overall quality of the maps so far. I also like the strong themes of the episodes; how it feels like I am really traveling from one location to the next in a logical way (rather than just having a series of otherwise unrelated maps).

I have one comment on E1M3 by @Doomlust:

I thought the secret exit was a bit too easy to find. I found the hidden switch almost immediately on my first playthrough. In general, I believe a secret exit should be a bit harder to find than a regular secret area, and involve a bit more searching.

One idea to make the secret harder is to add multiple hidden switches throughout the map (you could keep the same shootable texture for all of them). Each switch could open up a segment of the secret exit door (or the doors could be "layered" behind one another). You could put some of these switches inside already existing secrets.

Just an idea I had.

seems like a cool idea, it might work fine, i'll work on it

1 hour ago, Doomlust said:

seems like a cool idea, it might work fine, i'll work on it

Try not to make it too obscure, lots of mappers take secrets a little too far.

3 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

Try not to make it too obscure, lots of mappers take secrets a little too far.

yes, it won't be anything so hidden.

@dac @Wavy @Anarkzie

Since we are fairly close to completion, and entering "waiting for a few mappers" period, I decided to impose a deadline for at least a playable prototype until the March 1st. 7 weeks should be enough for everyone who still working.

3 hours ago, ViolentBeetle said:

@dac @Wavy @Anarkzie

Since we are fairly close to completion, and entering "waiting for a few mappers" period, I decided to impose a deadline for at least a playable prototype until the March 1st. 7 weeks should be enough for everyone who still working.

I'll try my best. I haven't made much progress as of recent due to real life stuff, but I don't think it's impossible for me to get it done during that time.

All my messages to @fran seem to be stuck on unread, and they don't seem to post anything anywhere. So I assume they aren't available at the moment.

I have no choice but to open up E1M5 again.

Although interested in doing it myself, I am busy with two other projects right now, so come and take it.

Update: Slot given away on discord.

Edited by ViolentBeetle

On 1/10/2022 at 1:34 PM, ViolentBeetle said:

@dac @Wavy @Anarkzie

And that should be more than enough time to finish stuff.

Wow cool project! Following for updates and waiting for RC when all maps and difficulty is implemented :)

Today, at approximately 16:00 GMT I will attempt to stream the current released wad on twitch. Attempt, because I only today figured out how to do it. Stay tuned.

@Doomlust I posted some feedback thoughts about secret exit on discord, but I'm not sure you actually there, so I'll copy them.

A walk-over line blocks the the usage of door (Sector 117)

And there's probably more interesting way to hide the secret exit switch.

Until I opened the editor, I didn't realize this is where the secret switch is

Suggestion: Make the secret exit behind the yellow door in the outside area (Behind blue armor)

Mock-up of what I picture secret exit as:

Spoiler

unknown.png

And rocket launcher in dirty puddle is a little awkward, I think it would work better if puddle was more shallow.

How about we continue stream this Saturday (Which for some might be already today), 22.01.2022 at about 15:00 GMT? There will be a VOD, but I'm hoping to see you on my stream.

29 minutes ago, ViolentBeetle said:

How about we continue stream this Saturday (Which for some might be already today), 22.01.2022 at about 15:00 GMT? There will be a VOD, but I'm hoping to see you on my stream.

I should be able to appear, what map were you up to after the first stream?