Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scotty

The DWIronman League dies to: Glaive & Glaive 2

October 2021

ogiHKRt.png

Leaderboard

What is the Doomworld Ironman League?

The DWIronman League is a monthly competition in which participants aim to survive for as many levels as possible in the given map set, preferably in one sitting. Click the spoiler tag at the bottom of the post for a detailed list of rules. Players of all levels of ability are welcome. It could change the way you play Doom!

This month the DWIronman League dies to EANB's Glaive series, both -complevel 2 (Doom (strict)). To refresh the leaderboard mechanics for dual sets, you are permitted to play both of these sets independently as though they were separate challenges, with the aggregate number of completed maps - as well as the time taken - being used to determine your position. You will only be listed as 'survived' if you survive both sets. You may play them in either order. Please zip both of your files together for convenience!

Essential Info:

Doom 2: Hell on Earth as the iwad (doom2.wad)

Compatibility level 2 for PrBoom+, or "Doom(strict)" for GZDoom.

Time estimate: 2 hours

Number of maps: 16 (9+7)

Deadline: October 31th 2021

> Download Glaive

> Download Glaive 2

prboom-plus -file glaive -complevel 2 -skill 4 -record my_demo

Rules:

Hide contents

• There are two competitions: Standard and Prepared:
    • To compete successfully in the Standard competition: your first play of the selected WAD(s) constitutes your one and only attempt for the month.
    • To compete successfully in the Prepared competition: your one and only attempt for the month is determined BY YOU immediately before play and may follow any prior number of active (playing the set) preparation that is strictly for practice/inspection purposes only. You cannot compete in the Standard competition after submitting a run to the Prepared competition. You may submit the first of your practice attempts to the Standard competition.
  • UV only (excepting 1CC format), continuous recording. No pistol-starting each level.
  • Demos (PrBoom+, GLBoom, Eternity or Chocolate), stream highlights and video recordings are the only accepted proofs. You must link to these runs in the thread. 
  • No additional WADs may be loaded.
  • No inspection of the WAD(s)'s content in an editor if you are submitting a Standard run.
  • No cheat codes and no features that result in behavior beyond what is possible in the intended source port (e.g. freelook, jumping and crouching in a boom set). This includes dynamic lights and brightmaps. If streaming or recording videos using an advanced source port with compatibility options, you must display these settings on-screen before your run. In ZDoom derivative ports, "Doom/Boom(strict)" will suffice.
  • If you choose to stream/record your run for video rather than provide a demo and you die before completing a single level, either on the first map of a set OR because a single level was selected for the month, you must display the number of monsters killed/remaining in the level before you quit.
  • You do not have to play the secret levels in order to register a complete run. However, a player who finishes the game having completed more secret levels than his/her competitors will rank higher than them.
  • You cannot load a game having progressed past the save point.
  • You cannot consult Doom Builder during your run to check for map details.
  • If the recording of your official run is interrupted due to technical difficulties, you are not permitted a second attempt. Any surviving recording may be used to register a DNF result.
  • Accidentally restarting a level before a death exit takes you to the tally screen will disqualify your run.
  • If you are competing in the Standard competition, you are required to affix one of three numbers to your run informing the League of your degree of familiarity with the map/set played. Note that your evaluation should only take into consideration the content covered in your run (e.g. if you remember only one part of a level in a set you haven't played before but never reach that level, you should list your run as a [1] instead of [2]):

1. This is a blind run. If I have played or watched any of the level/set being played before, I cannot remember any details that would offer a reasonable advantage over truly blind players. *
  2. This is not a blind run. I have familiarity with the set - played the level/set before, or watched it being played, and can remember some details that would offer a reasonable advantage over blind players.
  3. This is not a blind run. I have passively prepared for the competition - watched the level/set being played via stream, demo or video after it was announced as this month's challenge.

* "Reasonable" in this instance asks you to consider whether the details in question are worth committing to memory. As in, you would thank the person who gave you this information with a straight face and not expect to be laughed at for being an utter berk.

Previous threads:

Hide contents

• 01 - Sawdust (winner: Daerik - prep winner: an_mutt)
  • 02 - Alien Vendetta (winner: Demonologist)
  • 03 - Criticality & Miasma (winner: Daerik - prep winner: Crusader No Regret)
  • 04 - World Orifice (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: Killer5)
  • 05 - Violence (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: ScrappyMcDoogerton)
  • 06 - Firebox (winner: Bdubzzz - prep winner: 4shockblast)
  • 07 - Scythe 2 (winner: Arbys550)
  • 08 - Resurgence (winner: Beginner)
  • 09 - The Eye (winner: galileo31dos01)

Category 1, survived Glaive in 46:52, and survived Glaive 2 in 1:02:12

glaironman-pseudonaut.zip

Spoiler

On Glaive map08, the BFG trap almost got me good, but the closest call was on map09, where my health was reduced to 3% at the start. There's no doubt I was very lucky to make it after that, as there are a lot of ways RNG could have finished me off (contact with damaging floor, exposure to hitscan).

I don't think my health was ever reduced that low in Glaive 2, but there were some very dangerous moments in the last couple of maps, and I can see why the author says it's harder than the first.

Category 1.

Survived Glaive in 35:37

Spoiler

Pretty fun maps, nice BFG trap meme. I got some nerves in map09 and did some stupid shit but scraped through. I couldn't remember if it was actually the last map, so sorry for the 1 second of Refuelling Base at the end.

Died to map04 of Glaive 2 with 77/79 at 27:21

Spoiler

This death was pure stupidity, I could have just chilled for 5 seconds and been fine, but I was kinda tired of the maps at this point, so dying didn't really break my heart.

Looking forward to seeing some really fast completions.

dwim-bx-gl-gl2.zip

I haven't been participating much in past, so sorry if I misunderstood rules. Here are 2 submissions, one for Standard cat 1:
Glaive 1 Map 1 3:45 45/45 kills

Spoiler

(amasing level design)

Glaive 2 Map 1 2:10 17/37 kills

Spoiler

(kind of panic death)

And Prepared (technically just second run for every wad, wanted to keep as blind as I can). Not sure if I can submit to both, but I wanted to do another run attempt after my true blind run (seems to be okay by the rules).
Glaive 1 Map 8 32:40 67/83 kills

Spoiler

this wad had insane scythe vibes
(nice bfg trap btw, nearly survived it aswell)

Glaive 2 Map 1 2:30 22/37 kills

Spoiler

this map sucks
(shit trap)

tez-glaive-prepared.rar

tez-glaive-standard.zip

category 2

Survived Glaive in 25:09

Survived Glaive 2 in 42:51

I've played both wads once before and did remember quite a bit of Glaive 2. Glaive was practically blind though, I'm sure I've played it since I had it in my doom folder but I didn't recognize any of the maps at all.

DWIronman_Glaive1-2.zip

Glaive:

Category 3 (This is my 2nd demo attempt, during the first one I screwed up the recording at the beginning of map02 by hitting the rewind key by accident, I guess I deserve it for not using strict mode. Every map other than 01 is blind)

Died in MAP05, 59/68 kills

Glaive 2:

Category 1

Survived in 39:38

nightterror_ironman_glaive.zip

Glaive

Category 2

Died in MAP02 at 4:13 with 34 kills (entered the level at 2:39)

I really should have done better on this, but got careless with berserk punching.

Glaive 2:

Category 1 (I played MAP01 before but about all I remembered was that it's very red...)

Died in MAP04 at 20:54 with 22 kills (entered the level at 19:53)

This went better, managed to survive some nasty surprises.

Recorded in dsda-doom v0.21.3

ironman_glaive_Shepardus.zip

Glaive:

Cat 1, died at MAP09 (the last one, breh) at 35:38 as I wasn't ready for the spider party.

Glaive 2:

Cat 1, died at MAP04 at 26:40 as I wasn't ready for the Revenant party.

I enjoyed both WADs, esp. the sequel. They're relatively mean for blind play, but damn I like it! You should pay for every step or it stops being Doom :D

Scythe inspiration is rather visible and I adore Scythe series, what can I say. Give it a whirl!

dwiglaiv.zip

Here are my Category 1 runs.

Glaive
Dead on: Map 02

Kills: 16/63

Time: 8:36

I don't like revenants, and this is one of the reasons why (aside from being terrible at handling them). That revenant was rude.

Glaive 2

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 5/37

Time: 0:58

That was a fun way to start a map. No, I'm not being sarcastic, I mean it. I really did like how Map 01 starts. I don't like revenants, but that's old news now. My wireless keyboard actually decided to disconnect right in the middle of fighting that revenant, but I'm not going to blame that for my death at the hands of another revenant. I still had the mouse, and I was still able to attack (and did), and my keyboard reestablished a connection quickly enough that it wasn't a serious detriment. I just tend to perform poorly against revenants.

dwi_pegleg_glaive1and2_cat1.zip

And now, as we draw to the close of the month of October, I finally find the time to submit my Category 1 run. I know you may be thinking, "Why would you need a lot of time? You could probably fit your runs in anywhere." Well, you never know. Some of my performances have been much better than I was expected.

These maps seemed pretty good. It looked like they were going to ramp up the difficulty, instead of just going balls-to-the-wall from the beginning. The texturing looked nice. I didn't see much of the maps, but from what I saw, the layouts were easy to understand, the encounters were fairly straightforward (although still dangerous), the ammo was fairly tight (not starvation tight, but not "I'm bristling with ammo all the time"), and there was adequate health (you still had to play decently well to not be limping along, but the early maps aren't punishing). It's a good mapset. I'd like to go back and play these mapsets some time.

don't look at me
Category 1

Glaive 1: Died MAP02, 4/63 kills, :33, 4:31 total time

Glaive 2: Died MAP01, 15/39 kills, 2:15

Blind on both.  -cl 9 by mistake though I don't think it's much of an advantage unless there's intentional ghost monsters.

Choked on map 8 of Glaive.  A long demo with some highlights (escaping alive from the map 2 lottery and a nasty ambush on 6) and lowlights (down to below 30 health on map 1 and taking damage while studying the automap on 7)  Completely misguessed where to retreat to at the end there.

Good at Doom on map 2 of Glaive 2.  Haven't had that happen in while and on a recording.  At least I took down that archvile I was gunning for before exploding.  First map saw me running out of ammo and trying to punch out an archvile non-berserk until I stumbled into salvation.

dwiron_glaive_cnr.zip

Didn't have time to do a stream or practice or anything, so I speedran the maps this evening. Completely blind runs, had never played either of these 2 mapsets before. Thankfully they're short!

mutt-glaive-Demos.zip

Spoiler

Glaive 1 completed in 44:16, and I died in Glaive 2 map 04 having finished map 03 in 25:02. I really wasn't a fan of the sequel, too many cheap traps. I assume I'll enjoy it a little more if I replay it in a less time-strained mentality, lol. *shrug*

IronmanGlaive1+2HC.zip

Glaive 1:
Category 1, Survived in 1:06:41

Spoiler

This mapset was a blast! Dangerous, too. I only managed to scrape through the early obstacle courses due to a few lucky breaks, and even after I'd had the opportunity to start stockpiling resources, these levels still delivered a thrill a minute. Glaive 1 had a steady, enjoyable curve as it gradually increased the scale of the encounters, and its techbases looked really nice.

Glaive 2:
Category 1, Dead in MAP01 with 15 kills

Spoiler

Nope. Immediately squished. I was badly mauled by the sudden wall of Revenants that teleports in, and stumbled back outside right into the surprise Arch-Vile waiting there.