Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AwesomeGuy05

How to change the name of my level in doom builder?

If your level is in UDMF format, open it in Slade3 and add a text file named MAPINFO and define it like shown in the link - there are examples at the bottom. If not, then create a DEHACKED text file the same way and use something like this:

[STRINGS]
HUSTR_1 = MAP01: My First Map

7 minutes ago, Rifleman said:

If your level is in UDMF format, open it in Slade3 and add a text file named MAPINFO and define it like shown in the link - there are examples at the bottom. If not, then create a DEHACKED text file the same way and use something like this:

[STRINGS]
HUSTR_1 = MAP01: My First Map

While you've given correct directions, the relevancy of these directions are wrong. They have nothing to do with the map format, but the source port instead.

UDMF doesn't play a part, instead if your mapset is explicitly for ZDoom (which remember has 3 different map formats, all of which are interchangeable and can be used along side any other assets) then you use ZMAPINFO. If it's for Eternity, then you'd use EMAPINFO. If it's for Vanilla Doom or Boom and any compatible port of those standards, that's when you'd use DEHACKED, though the format needed for true vanilla dehacked is different from Boom and other embedded formats which has BEX strings. If it's for the official port then you could use DMAPINFO.

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

While you've given correct directions, the relevancy of these directions are wrong. They have nothing to do with the map format, but the source port instead.

UDMF doesn't play a part, instead if your mapset is explicitly for ZDoom (which remember has 3 different map formats, all of which are interchangeable and can be used along side any other assets) then you use ZMAPINFO. If it's for Eternity, then you'd use EMAPINFO. If it's for Vanilla Doom or Boom and any compatible port of those standards, that's when you'd use DEHACKED, though the format needed for true vanilla dehacked is different from Boom and other embedded formats which has BEX strings. If it's for the official port then you could use DMAPINFO.

For Boom, unless you're targeting the DOS binary, ReBOOM supports UMAPINFO.  DeHacked would be the fallback option.

It wouldn't be my first pick given its not really a proper universal standard. Personally I'd only do that on top of a dehacked patch.

Edited by Edward850

1. Use DeHackEd: See @Rifleman post (it has nothing to do with UDMF)

2. (For vanilla doom, work in pretty much any source port) If you want the level name to be different than Entryway in the intermission screen, then replace Entryway title graphic with yours. (CWILV00 is Entryway title graphic)

3. (For ZDoom based port, at least this the updated one) Make a MAPINFO. Example of MAP01 MAPINFO:

map MAP01 "Name_Of_Your_Map"
{
    titlepatch = "CWILV00"
    next = "MAP02" (this can be replaced with any map, for example if you wanna make MAP01 exit goes to MAP29, you can do that)
    secretnext = "MAP02" (same as above, but only works with "secret exit" switch or line)
    sky1 = "SKY1" (the name of the sky graphic goes here)
    par = 30 (the par time)
    music = "$MUSIC_RUNNIN" (can be replace with something like "M_JOHNCENAMIDI")
}

On 10/2/2021 at 11:52 PM, AwesomeGuy05 said:

I finished my level but It's still named "Entryway" how do I change it?

I'm also a rookie. I would like to see what you finally did to resolve your issue.

BTW, a couple things when asking for help:

Post which builder you are using along with the format and IWAD used.

It helps narrow down the fix.

I have a similar question. I made a few maps in ultimate doom builder, using the doom2 format. I'd like to put them all together in a wad. change the map name when you look at the map, and change the music. I have slade, is there a tutorial I can check out to learn all this stuff?

On 12/28/2021 at 11:09 AM, donevan427 said:

I'd like to put them all together in a wad.

You can do this either by using the "Save Map Into" option in UDB (provided your maps have different numbers and aren't all "MAP01"), or you can open each WAD in SLADE and copy/paste all their contents into the same WAD (again, make sure they're not all replacing the same map number).

change the map name when you look at the map

For this, you will need to either use DeHackEd or a MAPINFO lump of some kind, depending on the sourceport you're targeting.

and change the music.

This one is pretty simple. If you look at your DOOM2 IWAD in SLADE, you can find a list of all the music tracks in game:

Spoiler

image.png.767eefb1686c31ed9fdc0100e9478997.png

Starting from D_RUNNIN to D_ULTIMA, each lump is the music for the respective map number between 1 to 32 - D_RUNNIN is the music track for MAP01, D_STALKS is the music track for MAP02, and so on. So what you'll do in your WAD with your levels is import your music files with SLADE (make sure to keep them separate from your map lumps, otherwise something could get messed up), and simply name your music files after the corresponding lump from the DOOM2 IWAD: the music for your Map 01 replacement will be named "D_RUNNIN" and so on. When your port loads your WAD with the levels and the music, it will automatically play your replacement music without further fuss.

***To be absolutely clear: DO NOT MODIFY ANY OF YOUR IWADs IN SLADE. PERIOD. NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES. It's fine to open them up and peek around, export lumps from it, etc., but it is a very, very bad idea to mess with any of the files inside of the IWAD.***

Hope this helps o7

5 minutes ago, SMG_Man said:

DO NOT MODIFY ANY OF YOUR IWADs IN SLADE. PERIOD. NO MATTER THE CIRCUMSTANCES.

Fortunately by default, Slade blocks this and doesn't make it obvious as to how to unblock it, deliberately so. So it's very difficult for someone new to make this mistake.

That's good to hear. I remember the old days of using XWE and just, colossally fucking up several of my IWADs because I was a total noob.