Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

Which is better?

Which is better?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. What official Doom game is the best?

• The Ultimate Doom
    • Doom II: Hell on Earth
    • TNT: Evilution
    • The Plutonia Experiment
    • Doom 64
    • Doom 3
    • Doom (2016)
    • Doom Eternal

Doom II in my opinion was the best Doom game, because it was the refined version of regular doom; And regular doom kicks ass

What's your answer, xdude_gamer? Could you explain the hows and whys of where you're coming from by making that choice? I'm not asking for, like, a double-spaced dissertation with references in the Chicago Style, but more than literally one word would be nice.

1 hour ago, xdude_gamer said:

Poll.

Ahwwww, you don't even mention the shareware version . . .

Best ever !!  :D

Wadsmoosh :p

I feel we already had that thread a few days ago...

1 hour ago, Gez said:

Wadsmoosh :p

It feels like there is a thread like this once a week.

This is the official best Doom game.

2 hours ago, Gez said:

People like asking questions that have been answered already.

Maybe by asking it enough times by enough individuals, a new hack in the Doom source code reveals itself. I mean, who knows.

3 hours ago, Kinsie said:

What's your answer, xdude_gamer? Could you explain the hows and whys of where you're coming from by making that choice? I'm not asking for, like, a double-spaced dissertation with references in the Chicago Style, but more than literally one word would be nice.

Noted.

3 hours ago, Apprentice said:

Ahwwww, you don't even mention the shareware version . . .

Best ever !!  :D

Well, that could be considered Ultimate Doom (basically just Doom 1)

Doom 64

The Ultimate Doom

Doom II: Hell on Earth

Doom Eternal

Doom (2016)

TNT: Evilution

The Plutonia Experiment

Doom 3

Those are my rankings.

The one you enjoy the most.  Doom 2 for me because well a lot of mods use it and need it to run.  

The best one in the series is ULTIMATE DOOM.  Come on.. E1M1, E1M3, E2M4, E2M6,E2M2 and many more.  Award winning pieces of music.

Personally I think levels make the game, and as such I can’t believe Doom 2 is held in so high regard. Personally I’m leaning towards a tie between Ultimate Doom and Plutonia which have the superior levels regardless of armory and enemy roster.

The rest of the titles compete in different leagues. I enjoyed Doom 3 when the BFG edition came out, and it’s really unfair for Doom 3 to compare it to the other titles.

Doom 2016 and Doom Eternal are comparable. I thoroughly enjoyed Doom 2016 once I got used to it, and Doom Eternal frustrates the hell out of me. I bought it when it first was released, and my first playthrough is still ongoing, I think I’m on the level after the first encounter with Marauder, and I have little desire to get back to it. (It should be noted that I was playing the Xbox One version of both modern Dooms).

Edited by RHhe82 : Typo

2 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

Personally I think levels make the game, and as such I can’t believe Doom 2 is held in so high regard. Personally I’m leaning towards a tie between Ultimate Doom and Plutonia which have the superior levels regardless of armory and enemy roster.

Basically if you look at it as "which game will let me play the best third-party levels", then Doom II is the best of the three classic games (Ult. Doom, Doom II, Final Doom). Though technically you could use either TNT or Plutonia to play any Doom II map at all, but you'd run the risk of having some textures look weird due to the many texture conflicts between Doom II and Final Doom.

34 minutes ago, Gez said:

Basically if you look at it as "which game will let me play the best third-party levels", then Doom II is the best of the three classic games (Ult. Doom, Doom II, Final Doom). Though technically you could use either TNT or Plutonia to play any Doom II map at all, but you'd run the risk of having some textures look weird due to the many texture conflicts between Doom II and Final Doom.

That's true - from a modding and PWAD perspective Doom II is the only game you absolutely need. It gives most value for your money, there is no question about it.

The Ultimate Doom is a better game itself. But Doom 2 is better for wads and megawads such as community projects and one man/woman megawads (like Zone 400). Most custom wads (with maps) are made for Doom 2 due to the large enemy selection.

On 10/5/2021 at 2:22 PM, leodoom85 said:

The best game is Ultimate Doom: The Eternal Evilution Experiment 64.

No, The Ultimate TNT II: 3 Eternal Hell on The Plutonia Experiment 64: Absolution of Evil RPG Edition (2016).

On 10/3/2021 at 10:35 PM, Redneckerz said:

This is the official best Doom game.

But these doesn't seem singular to me, I think there are multiple "Best Doom Game?", if they are multiple, which one should I believe that it's the best?

Edited by Hitboi

35 minutes ago, Hitboi said:

But these doesn't seem singular to me, I think there are multiple "Best Doom Game?", if they are multiple, which one should I believe that it's the best?

They are singular, the fact that you think multiple Doom games are considered the best and then ask which one of those "thr best" is the actual best is needlessly confusing.

It certainly would confuse the barely participating OP around his own often-asked question.

10 hours ago, RetroAkaMe said:

TNT's one of my fav. doom wads. Tho ultimate doom gives me a nostalgia I can't forget.

I like all the games but I like Doom II the best because of its modding capabilities. TNT is great. Plutonia's a bit too much of revenant hell for me to enjoy properly as casual gameplay.

Jeez how has Doom II more votes than Plutonia? Recently played through Plutonia for the first time (lol yeah ...) and it plays so much better than Doom II imho.