Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zulk RS

I need a little help.

So I've been trying to improve at Doom in my own way for a while. My way of "Improving"? Learning Speedrun strats to cheese maps. However I have had no luck. Can someone give me pointers or direct me to an article or video on how to do some of the speedrunning stuff? I searched google but I can't find anything.

Also I'm playing with GZDoom so if the speedrun strats don't work there, also let me know so I'm not wasting my time.

The stuff I'm trying to learn is gliding through 32-unit wide gaps and performing linedef skips. Can someone give me pointers on how I can do it?

The thing is, GZDOOM fixes "bugs" that can be used as features, so if you want to do speedruns you got to play it in a more conservative Sourceport.

I don't want to do speedruns. I want to use speedrun techniques during normal play to make things easier on myself. Like skipping a linedef to make a very difficult encounter easier. Stuff like that.

Speedrun strategies usually aren't "easy" by their very nature and typically require a lot of repetitive practice, careful timing, very specific engine bugs that are probably fixed and/or replaced with different bugs in GZDoom, and the grace of a higher power of your choosing.

I know that. Still want to try though. I want to know if it's possible to do linedef skips and glides on GZDoom or if I'm wasting my time with it.

1 hour ago, Zulk RS said:

I know that. Still want to try though. I want to know if it's possible to do linedef skips and glides on GZDoom or if I'm wasting my time with it.

It basically isn't, linedef skips are fixed in gzdoom because the gzdoom collision check updates a lot faster than 35 times per second. Glides are still technically possible but it's much harder than it would be if you were playing in the old engine because there's no short tics mode to reduce the number of possible angles you can face, so you have to align yourself at a much more exact angle to get into a position where a glide is possible. I'd say if you wanted to find a setup to glide past a part of a map in gzdoom, you would probably end up putting in more effort than if you just practiced beating that section in the intended way.

9 hours ago, BoxY said:

It basically isn't, linedef skips are fixed in gzdoom because the gzdoom collision check updates a lot faster than 35 times per second. Glides are still technically possible but it's much harder than it would be if you were playing in the old engine because there's no short tics mode to reduce the number of possible angles you can face, so you have to align yourself at a much more exact angle to get into a position where a glide is possible. I'd say if you wanted to find a setup to glide past a part of a map in gzdoom, you would probably end up putting in more effort than if you just practiced beating that section in the intended way.

I know but It's not about having an easier time beating a section. It's about skipping a section for fun. Now that I know glides are possible in GZDoom but harder, do you know any videos I can watch where I can learn to do the glides?