Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Pegleg

IronEagle Competition 36: Dystopia 3

Welcome to a new month of the IronEagle competition, the ironman challenge that accepts everyone who likes to play Doom. You're always welcome here, whether you enjoy playing Chillax solo with your feet or you have difficulty making it through Hangar. Really, the only requirements are that you enjoy Doom and you are willing to challenge yourself.

This month, participants will challenge themselves against Dystopia 3: Rebirth of Anarchy, the 11-map vanilla set created by the legends Anthony "Adelusion" Czerwonka and Iikka "Fingers" Keränen and the add-on level by Czerwonka, Dystopia 301. Both were made in 1996 and tell the story of your return to the realm of Dystopia and your eventual triumph over Anarchy; they also include a number of tricks, such as vanilla 3D bridges.

Participants must play these maps on complevel 2 or Doom(strict).

Dystopia 3 starts at Map 01. Survival is completion of Map 11. There is no secret map. Dystopia 301 starts at Map 01 and is a single map. It is not mandatory to play Dystopia 301, but surviving it will be a bonus.

Download Dystopia 3 and Dystopia 301.

Congratulations to this month's winners (further details are in the post below).

UV: @dt_ (Runner-up: @NoisyVelvet)

HMP: @Lol 6

HNTR: @Major Arlene (Runner-up: Pegleg)

Spoiler

• Template for Chocolate Doom:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file dyst3lev.wad dyst3tex.wad -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEdyst3>
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file dyst301.wad dyst3tex.wad -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEdyst301>

• Template for PRBoom+:
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file dyst3lev.wad dyst3tex.wad -complevel 2 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEdyst3>
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file dyst301.wad dyst3tex.wad -complevel 2 -skill <x> -warp 01 -record <IEdyst301>

• Template for ZDoom
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file dyst3.wad dyst3tex.wad  +compatmode 2 -skill <x> +map map01 -record <IEdyst3>
    • -iwad doom2.wad -file dyst301.wad dyst3tex.wad  +compatmode 2 -skill <x> +map map01 -record <IEdyst301>
      • it is possible you may have to use +set skill <x> for GZDoom

• <x> must be replaced by the skill level. 2 = HNTR, 3 = HMP, 4 = UV
  • <IEdyst3/301> would be replaced with whatever you decide to call your demo, if you're submitting a demo

EDIT: Details About the Mapset (I suggest you read about Map 03, at least)
Map 03 contains a race course at the start of the level. It is imperative that you complete the course within a set amount of time (less time for higher difficulties). After completing the race course, you can explore the rest of the map more leisurely.

Spoiler

This means that you will have to leave monsters alive (unless you can kill them as you race by). Strafe-running is not required, but it would certainly help if you could controllably do it.

Map 06 contains two switches that may not appear to activate, but they are fully operative. Luckily, they are next to what they are operating, so it is obvious that something is happening.

Map 09 has a megasphere in a pit of slime. It is possible to get the megasphere, but you will take damage getting it and getting back out.

Spoiler

If you are not quick, you will be trapped in the slime and you will die.

SOFTLOCK:

Spoiler

If you got into the slime on the wrong side, there is no way to get out and you will die. You can not walk under the 3D bridge.

Rules:

The rules are basically the same as they have been. Either demos or streams are permissible. If you are creating a demo, post the demo. If you are streaming, post a video of the stream. Even if streaming, you can still submit a demo, if you want to.

The basic rule is that you submit a demo/stream played at a particular difficulty level (HNTR, HMP, or UV) and you play without saving and reloading, ending your run when you die (or survive).

The following are allowed (but not required):

• Freelook
  • Crosshair
  • Mods that are COSMETIC ONLY

The following are NOT allowed:

• Crouching
  • Jumping
  • Mods that change ANY aspect of base gameplay, including (but not limited to) enemy behavior, enemy speed, player abilities, player speed, weapon damage, ammo, and enemy drops.

Further, more specific, rules are listed below:

Spoiler

• Submissions (except for streams, as described below) must include a demo from one of the listed acceptable ports. The first actual attempt must be submitted, there are no do-overs (with very few possible exceptions, which I will address as they arise).
    • You may practice a mapset if you want, but these practice runs should not be submitted as your official entry, and your run would be Category 2, unless there are exceptional circumstances (such as described below).
  • A run must be done in a singular sitting with no saves. (With room for breaks. This will be addressed below.)
  • Streams and video runs are accepted provided you post a video of the stream/run or a link to the video.
    • If you post a video of the stream, you may post a demo if you want, but it is not mandatory. You may also post a demo if you, for some reason, do not want to post the video or a link.
  • Secret levels, if present, do not have to be completed for a survival run. If they are completed, they are extra credit.

Any port is accepted provided it will actually run the mapset. There is no preference.

Spoiler

Of course, if you want to try a limit-removing/Boom map in Chocolate Doom, be my guest. However, be aware that your run may be over rather quickly. Don't say you weren't warned. Granted, this warning is superfluous here, since these are vanilla maps.

Category System:

• Category 1: Blind run.
    • This explains itself. You have no knowledge of the wad and have not played/seen it before.I'm willing to be somewhat lenient with this Category.
      • For example, if you die early in Map 01, and then decide to play again for your run, you can still call it Category 1.
  • Category 2: Non-blind.
    • If you have played the wad before and/or possess significant foreknowledge, your run is non-blind. Basically, anything that is not Category 1 is Category 2.

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You just shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

Difficulty System:

You may submit a demo/stream for only one of HNTR, HMP, or UV. Choose only one, because subsequent submissions will be rejected (i.e., if you submit a HMP demo, the HNTR demo you then submit will be rejected). We're not using the 1CC rule set here. And your first submission is what counts.

Only runs from the same difficulty will be pitted against each other. Each difficulty will be graded separately.

Submission:

• When you submit your run, please the include the following information:
  • The category (1 or 2)
  • The difficulty
  • If you survived or what map you died on
  • The time elapsed when you survived/died (even if it's only approximate)
  • How many kills you had on the map where you died
  • The port you used (if you included a demo)
  • A link to the stream/video (if you did a stream)

You may include a commentary about the maps or details about them, if you want to. If you do include specific information about the map (e.g. "The demon trap in Map 08 is rough"), please put it in a spoiler, so that people that want a completely blind experience won't be tipped off. In you're just putting in a general comment (e.g., "Pro tip: don't get hit"), then no need for a spoiler.

Attempting to max the maps is not necessary to win.

Ranking for this mapset will be determined by:

• Survival +1 (Dystopia 3 and Dystopia 301)
  • Survival (Dystopia 3 only, surviving Dystopia 301 gets you a +1 as defined below)
  • Total time for survival
  • Map of death (in descending order: Map 11+1, Map 11, Map 10+1, Map 10, Map 09+1, Map 09, Map 08+1, Map 08, Map 07+1, Map 07, Map 06+1, Map 06, Map 05+1, Map 05, Map 04+1, Map 04, Map 03+1, Map 03, Map 02+1, Map 02, Map 01+1, Map 01)
  • Total time at death
  • Kill count at death

If you die, please wait a few seconds before quitting.

Breaks:

Everyone gets tired. Sometimes people survive longer than they expected. Nature calls. Every now and then, there are family emergencies. Needing to take a break shouldn't necessarily end a promising run. While you should try to complete the run in a single setting, this isn't always possible. If you have to take a break, try to make it quick.

Happy Dooming!

Previous IronEagle Competitions

Spoiler

• 1 (Oct.): Scientist 2 (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 2 (Nov.): Vanguard (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Liberation)
  • 3 (Dec.): Crumpets (Winners -- UV: NoisyVelvet   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)

• 4 (Feb.): Dark Covenant (Winners -- UV: kmc   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 5 (Mar.): Brood of Hatred (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 6 (Apr.): Riot Control (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Walter Confetti   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 7 (May): Scimitar (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 8 (Jun.): Bauhaus (Winners -- UV: vdgg   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 9 (Jul.): Bloody Steel (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 10 (Aug.): The Brotherhood of Ruin (Winners -- UV: leodoom85   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 11 (Sept.): Flashback to Hell (Winners -- UV: kmc/Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 12 (Oct.): A Taste for Blood (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: n/a   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 13 (Nov.): Back to Basics (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz   HMP: Horus   HNTR: Pegleg)
  • 14 (Dec.): Whitemare (Winners -- UV: Bdubzzz & NaZa   HMP: Crusader No Regret   HNTR: Pegleg)

Edited by Pegleg : EDIT 1: Added details about the maps. EDIT 2: Added monthly winners. EDIT 3: Add winners of IronEagle 34.

On 10/3/2021 at 6:11 PM, Pegleg said:

EDIT: Details About the Mapset (I suggest you read about Map 03, at least)
Map 03 contains a race course at the start of the level. It is imperative that you complete the course within a set amount of time (less time for higher difficulties). After completing the race course, you can explore the rest of the map more leisurely.

Woops, I goofed :)

I wanted to bump this thread because it's gotten buried. I know it's been a busy month, but there's only been two participants so far. There's still one weekend (and the rest of this week) left in October for people to join the fun with Dystopia 3 (myself included).

D(ead)NF on MAP03

Category 2

UV, Crispy Doom 5.10.2.

Total time spent: 27 minutes, 24 seconds, 71 milliseconds

dyst3_IEbygal.zip

Spoiler

The curse followed me back and managed to softlock myself through what I'm 99% sure was a linedef skip somewhere, basically forbidding progression (and I was borderline dying to hitscan rng when it calmed down). I mean, line skip is already one of the curses of doom, but I've been goofing up my ironmans these last months in more or less similar ways, heh :p

Anyways, if my gestures aren't graphic enough, I wanted that blue armor before going to the next map, I just saw the exit line in the automap too late lol. Now that I think of it, I suspect I also skipped the crusher setup because I don't remember it giving that much margin of error....

EDIT:

Dead at 4:43 (:89 milliseconds)

Category 1

UV, Crispy Doom 5.10.2.

dyst301_IEbygal.zip

Spoiler

Hmm, I sensed the start had an easier way, though it's still one of those slightly unfriendly maps from a (UV) blind first time, which is totally fine of course and I go expecting to be challenged. Then with hitscan from several points the recipe becomes obvious - was just prolonging the inevitable by dipping in and out, and then blockmap, doom things basically, but yeah I guess the map would be alright with some experimentation another time. 

Edited by galileo31dos01

Lol, I forgot about this, by bad.

Here's my demo

IEdyst3Lol6.zip

Details:

Spoiler

Game: Dystopia 3

Iwad: DOOM2.WAD

Files: DYST3LEV.WAD & DYST3TEX.WAD

Maps: 01-03 (Died in Map 03)

Skill : 3 (HMP)

Category: 1

Exe: Crispy-Doom v.5.10.3

Monsters killed when dead: 11/52 kills

Died at: 7:31 min aprox.

Date: 10/26/2021  Author: :[Lol 6]:

And for Distophia 301

IEdyst301Lol6.zip

Details:

Spoiler

Game: Dystopia 301

Iwad: DOOM2.WAD

Files: DYST301.WAD & DYST3TEX.WAD

Maps: 01 (Survived)

Skill : 3 (HMP)

Category: 2

Exe: Crispy-Doom v.5.10.3

Monsters killed: 100%

Exit at: 7:12 min

Date: 10/26/2021 Author: :[Lol 6]:

It took me awhile to get to this, but I finally did.

Dystopia 3

Difficulty: HNTR

Dead on: Map 05

Kills: 42/45

Time: 36:14

I'm happy I ended up making it through Map 04, considering I was limping around with single-digit health for a time.

Dystopia 301

Dead on: Map 01

Kills: 2/44

Time: 0:50

It may seem surprising, but I'm mildly surprised I made it as far as I did in this map.

ie_pegleg_dyst3and301.zip

Thanks @Pegleg for the heads up - was going to do this from the start :)

Alas, i didn't read the warning at the start, so my run came to an embarassing end very quickly on map03..  Something always seems to go wrong for me in these, damn it! :D  But still, i really liked the design of the maps and the architecture - really good WAD otherwise it seems.  Next month i'll do better.

Cat1 run on Crispy, HNTR - ended on MAP03 with seven kills, after about two minutes.

ie36-dei.zip

Edited by dei_eldren

6 hours ago, dei_eldren said:

Alas, i didn't read the warning at the start, so my run came to an embarassing end very quickly on map03.

Remember, you can always do another run and just submit that instead. That's always an option if you're unhappy with a run, or it was going well and you were caught by something that was mentioned in the OP, or something else.

Next month won't have a timed death like that, so at least you (and the rest of us, too) won't have to worry about that.

6 minutes ago, Pegleg said:

Remember, you can always do another run and just submit that instead. That's always an option if you're unhappy with a run, or it was going well and you were caught by something that was mentioned in the OP, or something else.

Next month won't have a timed death like that, so at least you (and the rest of us, too) won't have to worry about that.

think i'll try that this month as there's still time.. new Cat2 run tomorrow!  you really dig up interesting WADs, btw, so thanks for that!

20 minutes ago, dei_eldren said:

think i'll try that this month as there's still time.. new Cat2 run tomorrow!  you really dig up interesting WADs, btw, so thanks for that!

I should clarify: you can do another run provided you don't post the first one. Please feel free to go back and play through it again, because it's a good mapset, but it just won't count for this particular competition. This is part of the rules for every month, so keep it in mind for next time.

On 10/3/2021 at 6:11 PM, Pegleg said:

If you're unhappy with your blind run, feel free to record a new run, and submit that run instead. If you want to submit your first run, no matter how you perform, by all means, go ahead and do it. You just shouldn't feel that you HAVE to submit a run you're dissatisfied with, just to preserve a "Category 1" status. If you want to go back and submit a second run, you're welcome to do so, but, at this time, it won't be counted.

14 hours ago, Pegleg said:

@Andromeda
More HNTR runners are always welcome.

To be fair, more runners of ALL varieties are always welcome.

Cheers for the reminder, completely forgot about this. I'll do my run later today if I have time, otherwise definitely tommorow!

As requested!

Category 1
Dystopia3: Died MAP07, 3:10, 22/67 kills, total time 35:44
Dystopia301: survived 5:34 97% kills
HNTR
Freelook enabled (not reflected by input captures)

Dystopia 3

Dead on: MAP03

Kills: 10/31

Time: 7:26

Yes, I read the warning and I still died lol. I blame my completionist vein. I had knowledge of MAP04 from playing STRAIN, where another version of it appears as MAP09 but obviously I didn't get that far :P 

Dystopia 301

Survived

Time: 5:43

Thought I was gonna choke it and die right at the start, then had another low health moment later on but after that the level is easy as pie.

ie_andromeda_dyst3and301.zip

UV, category 1. I read about the race in map03 and still died. The timing is ridiculously tight for a blind run.

In 301, I died with 34 kills. It's a completely bullshit start where a blind runner has little choice but to try and snipe hitscanners in the dark where you can't see them while at very low health. Didn't enjoy either of these wads.

dyst3ie-pseudonaut.zip

IEdyst3HC.zip

Category 1, UV, PrBoom+

Dystopia 3:
Dead in MAP02 with 5 kills.

Spoiler

I had low HP, but decided to take the risk and chainsaw the Pinkies anyway, just to avoid spending all my ammo. It was the wrong choice. That was a nice sector-car you climb out of at the beginning of the 2nd map - reminded me of UAC_DEAD.

Dystopia 301:
Dead in MAP01 with 3 kills.

Spoiler

That's one heck of a level-start.

https://youtu.be/XsDo6E1EbvY

Category 1 run on UV, starts at about the 2 hour mark.

Accidentally loaded the expansion first and died to a Revenant without killing anything.

Made it to map 2 of the main mapset after loading the correct file but died to an Arachnotron.

On 10/30/2021 at 1:48 AM, Pegleg said:

@NoisyVelvet and @Breezeep
Don't forget that you can try your hand at Dystopia 301, too.

@Major Arlene, @kalaeth@Andromeda, @dei_eldren
More HNTR runners are always welcome.

To be fair, more runners of ALL varieties are always welcome.

ah, damn, only saw this today so I'm too late :| 

Still, have a cat 1 HNTR run ending on map 3 due to distraction.

Command line  

gzdoom.exe -iwad doom2.wad -file dyst301.wad dyst3.zip  +compatmode 2 -skill 2 +set skill 2 +map map01 -record k_dyst3

k_dyst3.zip

On 11/3/2021 at 2:46 PM, kalaeth said:

Still, have a cat 1 HNTR run ending on map 3 due to distraction.

Thanks for the submission. I can't include it in the month because it was submitted after the end of October, but I hope you still had fun with it.

IronEagle 37 will be coming out soon, so there's always the new one to do.

2 hours ago, Pegleg said:

Thanks for the submission. I can't include it in the month because it was submitted after the end of October, but I hope you still had fun with it.

IronEagle 37 will be coming out soon, so there's always the new one to do.

I wasn't expecting to be included, did it just for warm up for this months run :D

Thank you to everyone who participated in the competition this month. Hopefully, everyone returns next month, along with a few new faces.

Without further ado, here are the results for IronEagle 36.

UV

1. dt_ (Map 03 + 1)
  2. NoisyVelvet (Map 03)
  3. Pseudonaut (Map 03)
  4. galileo31dos01 (Map 03)
  5. Breezeep (Map 02)
  6. head_cannon (Map 02)
  7. mtthew (Map 02)
  8. Suitepee (Map 02)

HMP

1. Lol 6 (Map 03 + 1)

HNTR

1. Major Arlene (Map 07 + 1)
  2. Pegleg (Map 05)
  3. Andromeda (Map 03 + 1)
  4. dei_eldren (Map 03)
Edited by Pegleg : Corrected order of UV participants.