Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DooMer 4ever

The Devil in the movie Legend

Have you seen the movie? I have and I must say that the devil, or whatever it was, looks a lot like the Baron of Hell in Doom. Of course its face is too human-like and the horns are too big, but otherwise it looks nearly exactly like Baron.

Here's a picture. I couldn't find a screenshot taken from the movie that would show the devil's legs too so I had to link this crappy picture :)
http://www.lightsauce.com/legend/desktop/DarknessOverLily.jpg

What do you think? It could be a co-incidence but maybe not...

Heh, you're right, the devil from Legend does look strikingly like a Baron of Hell.

They released a director's cut DVD of that movie. I hear that version is a helluva lot closer to a serious movie. The original was frickin' bizarre, and apparently they cut out alot of stuff that would make the whole thing make sense.

Thanks to my man Rob Bottin for yet another truly amazing makeup effect. Him and Savini are my faves.

Anyway, it would be just coincidence because the movie came out well before Doom.

Judging by that pic, I'm inclined to disagree - yes, he has a reddish torso, and yes, he has black horns, but the horns are of a different shape, the face, as you said, too human and it has none of the muscles or the bull neck that the Baron has.

In case you didn't know, the Baron of Hell is a pretty typical picture of a demon as interpreted by Christians - I've seen plenty of demons that look "strikingly" like a Baron of Hell.

dsm said:

In case you didn't know, the Baron of Hell is a pretty typical picture of a demon as interpreted by Christians - I've seen plenty of demons that look "strikingly" like a Baron of Hell.

Yep the Baron is very much a stereotype, I've seen many demons that look similar, if not almost identical over the years. This is one of the reasons Doom is so popular imo, the wide appeal of certain stereotypical images which are primeval.

FirebrandX said:

Anyway, it would be just coincidence because the movie came out well before Doom.

Eh? Sorry, that makes no sense to me - are you saying that ID can only draw their inspiration from things that come from the future, or are you just in denial that ID can't possibly have *ahem* "borrowed" an idea? :)

If it's the latter, go take a look at the old D&D Manual of the Planes cover.

If it's the former, then, uh, I dunno what to say. Go visit a pyschiatrist, maybe? =P

No smartass, I'm referring to anyone who might think the movie copied Doom. Just pointing out it came out well before Doom. Obviously ID "could" have copied the movie, but I agree with the others that there are too many differences.

Now I ask, why the hell are you giving me a hard time about this? Is it something that important for you to bust my ass over? Do you think what you said above was a cool way to be a jerk to somebody?

If so, then yes, that was a cool way to be a jerk.

If not, then go visit a psychiatrist yourself.

Looks alot more along the lines of a typical movie demon to me. Doesn`t remind me at all of a Baron of Hell. Seen demons that looked like that in a zillion and one games + movies.

*wonders what game or movie came up with it in the very very first place*

icemann said:

*wonders what game or movie came up with it in the very very first place*

Like DSM said, stupid christianity came up with that, I just wonder what the first actual movie to use this idea was.

FirebrandX said:

Now I ask, why the hell are you giving me a hard time about this? Is it something that important for you to bust my ass over? Do you think what you said above was a cool way to be a jerk to somebody?

Oh dear oh dear. How exactly was that being a jerk? First there was :) and =P in there, second I would have thought it would be pretty obvious that I was only joking even without them. Hmmph, some of you people really need to relax a bit and learn how to take a joke.

I mean, it wasn't if I said "didn't it cross your pathetic little mind that maybe it was ID who copied them? No, I guess it didn't, because that simple concept is clearly far beyond your extremely limited reasoning capabilites." or "haha you ******* ****, you're so full of **** you little ******" or something like that now, is it? :)

Also, bear in mind that the "go see a psychiatrist" comment only applies to you if you actually DO think ID get inspiration from the future, in which case it clearly isn't a insult, but a fact ;)

And yes, there was a couple more smilies in this post ;) Heh, and if you don't know what it means, you really shouldn't be posting stuff on web forums ;)

(And yes, that was another one :) And a 'heh' too, for good measure. Heh :) )

I saw Legend over a decade ago and thus don't remember more than a few still images, but I purchased its soundtrack last year and the soundtrack rules (barring the tracks that have singers, that is).

There was a devil in the movie Legend? As being just turned 17 when Legend was released, I can only seem to remember Lily (Mia Sara). What a crush i had... Especially when was dressed in that evil black outfit.
On the other hand, I think I remember a unicorn or something too... yea, Lily was in that scene too I remember (*sigh*)

Oh, the topic however, The movie was pretty good, like, "you have to see it so you can say you saw it" kind of movie. I still think it was fairly good for what it was. The Devil almost struck me as 'original' in it's design despite the obvious stereotypical attributes.

Say, if it was'nt for the mechanical aspects, don't you think the Cyberdemon is a closer match? What with the big horns? I got it, The devil was the inspiration for the Baron of Hell's body, and the Cyberdemon's horns!

Neither here, nor there is how I see it...

It's a sweet movie, it made perfect sense, and Tim Curry played the creature of Darkness (he was also the fucking scary clown in the movie 'It'). His performance, and the excellent costumes/makeup in that movie are cooler than anything computer graphics have done.

Well Tim Curry's good in whatever he`s in usually. He did the voice for Doctor Sevarias in the cartoon Gargoyles, for anyone whos watched that before.

icemann said:

Well Tim Curry's good in whatever he`s in usually. He did the voice for Doctor Sevarias in the cartoon Gargoyles, for anyone whos watched that before.

He's done the voices for many cartoon villians.

Does Tim Curry play anything except villains? Not that he isn't very good at playing villains.

IMJack said:

Does Tim Curry play anything except villains? Not that he isn't very good at playing villains.

He was the voice of Gabriel Knight in the original Gabriel Knight (talkie version, obviously) and GK 3. Not GK 2 though, for some reason.

Oh, and he was Professor Oldman in Scary Movie 2, a character who isn't really a villian as such (he's just perverted ;) )