Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomguykiller69

Rubber Duck Debugging

Does anyone use Rubber Duck Debugging when they have a programming error?

I have a rubber duck with a helmet, I bought it recently, I have it next to the pc ... I'm not crazy ... I guess

if you don't know what I'm talking about:

The rubber duck debugging method is as follows:

Beg, borrow, steal, buy, fabricate or otherwise obtain a rubber duck (bathtub variety).

Place rubber duck on desk and inform it you are just going to go over some code with it, if that’s all right.

Explain to the duck what your code is supposed to do, and then go into detail and explain your code line by line.

At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way.

13 minutes ago, doomguykiller69 said:

Does anyone use Rubber Duck Debugging when they have a programming error?

I prefer the shaved teddy bear debugging method but hey to each their own.

42 minutes ago, doomguykiller69 said:

The rubber duck debugging method is as follows:

Beg, borrow, steal, buy, fabricate or otherwise obtain a rubber duck (bathtub variety).

Place rubber duck on desk and inform it you are just going to go over some code with it, if that’s all right.

Explain to the duck what your code is supposed to do, and then go into detail and explain your code line by line.

At some point you will tell the duck what you are doing next and then realise that that is not in fact what you are actually doing. The duck will sit there serenely, happy in the knowledge that it has helped you on your way.

That was quite the journey.

34 minutes ago, Murdoch said:

I prefer the shaved teddy bear debugging method but hey to each their own.

What the hell does a shaved teddy bear look like? LOL

That actually sounds like a good idea...

if I ever get back to work as a developer, then I might just use this method.

This is actually a great idea. Although It'll be awkward trying to explain to anyone walking by why I'm talking to a rubber duck.

You could probably use this method with any old object lying around your desk, but then again using a rubber duck would be a lot funnier so it's clearly the superior method.

f3ZfIGv.jpg

1 hour ago, Doominator2 said:

This is actually a great idea. Although It'll be awkward trying to explain to anyone walking by why I'm talking to a rubber duck.

They are fantastic conversationalists.

If the duck talks back, should I be worried?

This thread reminds me of the pink companion cube( for some reason) from portal and how Glados warns you not to engage in conversation with it, should it talk back(or become sentient, which it probably was). I quickly got emotionally attached to that cube…. And then I had to incinerate it….

Edited by Silent Wolf

21 minutes ago, Silent Wolf said:

the duck talks back, should I be worried?

Nah