Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
IMJack

It's a Secret!

What's the silliest, strangest, or just plain most bloody useless secret you've ever come across in a game?

I'm playing through Castlevania: SotN again, and just got the Secret Boots. They add about 2 pixels to your character's height. That's it.

MAP31-32.

Also, there's this puzzle game, Enigma. In one level, you can get to a scroll by moving away various blocks. Once you do that, you can't finish the level. The scroll reads "You lost".

That secret in the secret map of episode 2 in Quake (Underearth). You had to shoot all of those demon faces on the walls throughout the map. When you do, a door in a dark hallway near the end of the map will open, and inside is.....a big red icon on the wall, and nothing more.

Another useless secret is in Hexen 2 Portal of Praevus. In the Ice Caverns, there's a room directly below a small room where you pick up a puzzle piece. Apparently, there is no way to get to the room without using noclip, but when you do get there, the room is completely empty except for a message saying "You've finally found the musical bar-b-que!" It might have been a little better if they had made a way to get to it, and maybe put an item or two in there.

Ichor: There's another one - in the first map, one of the wind tunnels has a hidden alcove, that's found by blowing a hole in the pipe, only accessible with noclip on (you're getting blown along pretty fast) and it contains the Tien's key. A message says 'You got the Tien's key a little early' but when you actually get to the relevant frozen map, you no longer have the key!

There's also a secret in Quake 2 - the dopefish returns in the pumping station 2 - you have to noclip to it, and all you get is a message saying 'study hard' or something like that. (and it doesn't count as secret either)

Really annoying, as they can put that useless area in, yet they put in a proper secret that doesn't register (the one where you shoot the metal plaque next to the blue key door) - meaning you can't get all secrets in that map! (the only one like that in original Quake 2)

In E1M2, on the stairs leading up to the chainsaw, theres a secret room containing four armor helmets. How pointless is that?

in doom2 map25 there is a completely empty secret room in the marble area.

In Limbo, there aren't any useless secrets, but there is a useless red key. All of those teleporters are blocked by red key doors. You have to go through that blood maze to get the red key, and once you do, there's a red key door right behind it. Open it, hit the switch, and all the red key doors open up, making the red key utterly worthless.

I wonder... If you got the red key, but didn't hit the switch, would the key open up all those doors anyway?

It's not tagged as a secret, but there is something weird in DSV4 map12. Just before exiting the map, you trigger a small area to open that contains a few dead marines and a graphic of a drunken fish on the wall. Funny, but pointless, as far as I can tell.

Darkstalker said:

I'M FREE !! (ROTT)

Heh, yeah. Although that's more of a curiousity than an actual secret of the game.

The 240 secret stair sectors in E4M3 :P

in doom2 map25 there is a completely empty secret room in the marble area.

There's a BFG on the lower difficulty levels.

This god damn little spot on the wall inside of a fuckin hole in silent hill 2! grrrrr I hate that fuckin hole!

That one stupid secret in Legends of Zelda. When you go inside, an old man starts bitching about you blowing a hole in the wall and you have to pay him 200 or something Rupees.

In map 7 of the first episode of Blood, there is a spot in the temple that is really high. There is a very helpful secret there, but that's not the one I'm talking about. If you fall off the edge to the ground below, you'll die obviously, but at the bottom is a message saying "Whoa this is like a totally deep hole."

Tyockell said:

This god damn little spot on the wall inside of a fuckin hole in silent hill 2! grrrrr I hate that fuckin hole!

Where?

In Silent Hill 1 there's are tons and tons of stuff on the walls (on posters or just in writing) that dont actually serve a purpose. They just give you clues about where the developers got their ideas. I dont think stuff like this (or some of the other joke style secrets listed here) are stupid though. They add a little fun to the game, even if they dont make your life any easier.

In Quake mission pack 1 (Armagon) in the map with the cable car thing in it - you can climb up the mountainside without cheating, all the way to the top and you get.....a message saying 'You're not supposed to be here!' and a load of spike mines come along and find out if you've got god mode on or not. Oh, and there's nothing else up there either.

Ultimate DooMer said:

In Quake mission pack 1 (Armagon) in the map with the cable car thing in it - you can climb up the mountainside without cheating, all the way to the top and you get.....a message saying 'You're not supposed to be here!' and a load of spike mines come along and find out if you've got god mode on or not. Oh, and there's nothing else up there either.

Umm, that path is supposed to lead you to the top of the tower (where Thor's hammer, Mjolnir, is located); taking the secret path enables you to skip walking up the towers staircase and to evade some enemies.

As for the coolest secrets...

-In the Scourge Of Armagon, in the 'Black Cathedral' there's a secret mage's room behind a bookcase, with a pentagram in it. Always thought it was a rather nice touch (the whole level is awesome).
-Masturbating Elexis in Sin
-Duke3D's secrets (most of them)
-Blood's 'Dead Duke' room

Oh yeah, theres an easter egg in Jedi Knight 2.

In the level with the town by the river there is a house with a locked door. If you follow one of the townsfolk (a woman) she will open the door momentarily and enter her home. If you follow her you will meet the psychopathic rabbit from Sam and Max. He carries an (undoubtly modified) bryar pistol. He will follow you around a bit, but at a point he will attack you and then it's game over for that pistol of his is powerful shit (do I have to mention he is deadly accurate).

HateFactor said:

As for the coolest secrets...

The wolfenstein levels in Doom 2.

darknation said:

duke nukem has about a million little bits of graffiti on the walls, stuff like "How did you get up here?"

There's three or four messages like this in the entire game, mostly in places where you can't normally get without cheating. Like in E1L5, with Levelord's famous "You're not supposed to be here" message near the Shrinker shooter. I think they're pretty goddamn cool.

There's also a pretty weird secret in Raptor.

If you fidget with some buttons in the corner of the selection meny (they look like they were only meant for decoration) a horde of angry apes throwing coconuts will appear on some levels.

Some of the secrets in Shadow Warrior. In one map, you come across the Killer Rabbit from Monty Python and the Holy Grail, complete with bits of knight strewn everywhere and big, sharp, poin'y teeth. >:=

In the very last map, in an exceedingly out-of-the-way secret area, you find two more Killer Rabbits and the bodies of the Ninja Turtles.

Plus any number of cute anime babes with Uzis. :)

Little Faith said:

There's also a pretty weird secret in Raptor.

If you fidget with some buttons in the corner of the selection meny (they look like they were only meant for decoration) a horde of angry apes throwing coconuts will appear on some levels.

I alway thought that was cool. Ever get the battle cows on wave 7?

Oh, and it doesn't work with the upgrade patch. :(

the dead doom marine in duke 64 (I don't know duke 3d much) was odd. but I could only find it on multi-player.

secrets that kill you are fun.

...a secret in Quake 2 - the dopefish returns in the pumping station 2 - you have to noclip to it...

There's a way to the dopefish room in Q2 without using noclip.
After you destroy the reactor, a secret door is opened (can't remember which level, but it requires some backtracking). There are two pools of water somewhere. Under the water in one of them, there's an open panel.

I'm sure there are hints about this on the net somewhere, I don't feel like looking though.