Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Widosm

Worst looking texture

30 minutes ago, Roofi said:

Haha , it's actually one of my favourite textures from Udoom. I always loved the red line.

I think the red line is nice, but it could of been applied nicer instead of just being slapped on to it IMO. I recall Gothics Patched Up Texures having a 64x128 texture which was grey but had the red lines on each side which I thought looked nice.

Would post a photo of said texture, but I'm not at my computer right now =p

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

SHAWN2

Probably my most hated one as well. All textures have their uses (in theory) but I remember a period of the early zDoom days when many mappers used SHAWN2 liberally on every surface because "lol teh future" or something. Maybe it wasn't as bad as I remember it but it's still lodged in my brain like a railroad spike.

I used to hate GSTONE as well because it was the default texture in DCK but it's actually a fine texture, despite Tim Willits' abuse of it. 

Y'all are hating on the ZZZFACE textures when portions of them are excellent "computer stuff" textures!

Edited by Koko Ricky

SW*DIRT.

Does not tile vertically. Does not tile nicely horizontally with other textures. Bottom 64 pixels look like a clone tool artifact.

Ugh.

3 hours ago, EANB said:

STONEGARG (the gargoyle face on grey brick used in E2M4). It's the kind of texture that feels like it was made with 2D game sensibilities, like you can imagine something like that in the background of Commander Keen levels. But a tiling face plastered across walls in a 3D space just looks strange.

This is my least favorite as well. There are plenty of textures that are ugly or have bad tiling/obvious patch lines, but they can all be used somewhere and with a little creativity might actually look pretty good. But STONEGARG is just total trash. It's amazing to look at all the cool textures that were omitted, and think "but they kept this one." Why?!

Just now, magicsofa said:

It's amazing to look at all the cool textures that were omitted, and think "but they kept this one." Why?!

Is there a comprehensive place to view these omitted textures? I assume they are either from the Doom Alpha or stuff that John Romero released a few years back. Perhaps other sources too I don't know.

38 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

It's interesting that FIREBLU and GRAYTALL are considered hideous, they're two of my favourite textures honestly (DOORTRAK on the other hand... ugh).

Yeah, this is all about point of view :)

I actually liked the "limited use of texture" design of 50ShadesOfGrayTall, it was really unique

Hard to hate any of these textures as none of them are particularly crude or tasteless, but a few come to mind when I think of textures I usually avoid using, or use sparingly:

BIGDOOR1 feels lazy. At 128x96 it's a somewhat awkward size, and it feels too much like it's just a slight reworking of one of the silver textures. It seems very flat and incomplete.

STEP6 is kind of ugly. Like I get that there are places where a step might look like that, but somehow it just doesn't feel right. I think it has a vagueness to it that rubs me the wrong way.

Don't care much for the ASHWALL series. They can be used creatively, but they also don't feel like they're any specific material. I guess they kind of have a bit of an early Photoshop look to them that turns me off a bit.

COMP01 is kind of odd. The computer flats leave a bit to be desired and this one in particular feels like it should have been more refined with a touch of depth (such as slight bevel/emboss effect) and maybe centering the panel.

The DEM1_ series seems to have reduced colors compared to the texture version. I don't know why id didn't just literally reuse the original as is rather than reduce the detail.

The FIREMAG series would look so much better with a black background. Having the vague wood texture behind it is a strange choice.

GRAYTALL with that red stripe--what possible use does it have? Seems so out of place with the generally monochromatic paneling of techbase walls. I'd like to see a tasteful example of this texture in use.

I love the SKIN2, SKINEDGE and SKINFACE textures quite a bit, but I don't like how they don't tile vertically well.

SKSNAKE1 and 2 don't tile vertically either, seems like a missed opportunity.

SP_ROCK1 isn't all that bad, but I almost never use it because it doesn't really have anything to compliment it with. It stands in stark contrast to the other rock textures.

The TANROCK series kind of has that early Photoshop look as well. 2 can be used for drywall and 8 is an interesting tree-like texture, but the rest are kind of dull.

I praised the techy parts of the ZZZFACE textures, but 1 and 2 are just the horns with a kind of nothing background behind them. I think there could have been a bit more detail in them.

1 hour ago, Archfiend said:

Also, this dumbass sky texture because DBX won't let me pick anything else and all my open levels look like shit.

The sky texture isn't exactly chosen from the map editor. (Unless using MBF sky transfers, obviously. Or using ACS or FraggleScript to change the sky.) It's part of the map metadata so you have to use MAPINFO for that -- or just replace the existing sky texture.

1 hour ago, Andromeda said:

(DOORTRAK on the other hand... ugh).

Just for interests sake, the reason I think that people think it looks bad is because of limited palette, and because of the moire effect that it creates.

I like doortrak. I actually used it in a level I did for TNT Revilution, as an inset for walls running along a couple of narrow corridors. (So y'know, as something other than a doortrak.) I thought it looked good. But those who came after me and finished the project: they removed it. True story.

32 minutes ago, Gez said:

The sky texture isn't exactly chosen from the map editor. (Unless using MBF sky transfers, obviously. Or using ACS or FraggleScript to change the sky.) It's part of the map metadata so you have to use MAPINFO for that -- or just replace the existing sky texture.

Oh, thanks for the tip.

29 minutes ago, Kyka said:

I like doortrak. I actually used it in a level I did for TNT Revilution, as an inset for walls running along a couple of narrow corridors. (So y'know, as something other than a doortrak.) I thought it looked good. But those who came after me and finished the project: they removed it. True story.

I suppose it'd work. The trick is in not having a large surface covered with them. Something like an 8-unit wide strip (be it vertical, like intended, or horizontal, as you describe) should be inoffensive. A big 256x128 wall plastered in the stuff, yuck!

On 10/6/2021 at 2:20 PM, Koko Ricky said:

GRAYTALL with that red stripe--what possible use does it have? Seems so out of place with the generally monochromatic paneling of techbase walls. I'd like to see a tasteful example of this texture in use.

Have a look on Estranged Map01 - the monster closets after the yellow key. There's nothing special about it (it's just a bunch of simple and square-ish alcoves) but I think it looks nice thanks to the allignment and the sector brightness. There's also 50 Shades of Graytall for something more complex.

Edited by Noiser

23 minutes ago, Gez said:

I suppose it'd work. The trick is in not having a large surface covered with them. Something like an 8-unit wide strip (be it vertical, like intended, or horizontal, as you describe) should be inoffensive. A big 256x128 wall plastered in the stuff, yuck!

I was actually curious as to whether my memory was romanticising doortrak looking good or not, when on the corridor I mentioned. And I think it does, in the end, look good. HOWEVER: (And this is a big however,) the wall in question is flashing to black, and so the doortrak cannot be seen for half its duration on the wall. As well as that, it is scrolling along the wall, giving it a conveyor-belt feeling, which breaks up that ugly moire pattern effect.. And in addition, the corridor is quite dark. Aaaaand, in addition, there are yellow lights above and below to give it some color and contrast. So, I had to pull out all the stops to make it functional. Aaaaaaaand, in addition. playing in vanilla doom resolution also helps, I feel. I had forgotten all these things I had to do, mostly intuitively, to make it look good. 

So in short, doortrak doesn't look good, unless you really work to make it so.

To wit:

Spoiler

LUBcM7h.png

OjALftN.png

1 hour ago, Koko Ricky said:

The red stripe is good at simulating dry blood, like in this very recent map:

44MDMCN.png

1 hour ago, Gez said:

A big 256x128 wall plastered in the stuff, yuck!

what about this?

none they all look great

They're all memorable with tons of uses. The weirder they are, the more interesting it is to see them used creatively.

4 hours ago, Kyka said:

Is there a comprehensive place to view these omitted textures? I assume they are either from the Doom Alpha or stuff that John Romero released a few years back. Perhaps other sources too I don't know.

I have no time for ROCK4 or ROCK5.  They simply don't look good on Doom's smooth walls, particularly at modern resolutions.

3Tt9h5c.png

The fact that I have yet to see a mention of this texture is baffling on so many levels.

2 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

3Tt9h5c.png

The fact that I have yet to see a mention of this texture is baffling on so many levels.

It doesn't split well, but it's hardly bad.

3 minutes ago, AD_79 said:

3Tt9h5c.png

This is the only stock texture I dislike.