Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Biodegradable

Twitch has been hacked!

Sorry this is kind of late, but I only just came across this now as the story is starting to catch fire on Twitter, so I figured it was relevant. Big news regarding everyone's favourite incompetent streaming platform: Twitch has been compromised. Someone hacked and leaked everything. Not only a shit-ton of information including the earnings for all of its top percent of streamers from the last two financial years, but even its own source code! A 125GB torrent link was dropped on 4chan earlier today.

Since a lot of us stream Doom or watch Doom streamers, I thought it was important. I recommend everyone who has a Twitch account change your passwords.

Edited by Biodegradable

Well shit. Thanks for the heads up!

I haven't agreed with how Twitch has been running things either but that was uncalled for to literally affect everyone on the platform. However I'm disappointed that Twitch didn't seem to get the message. A snippet from Twitch:

“No one should have to experience malicious and hateful attacks based on who they are or what they stand for,”

They seem to think it's a targeted hate attack when it kinda nukes everyone.

Edit: Seems like a lot of people are doubting this. Twitch sent me a notification to change my password a few minutes ago at the time of this edit, saying it's vulnerable to attackers. I assume it's related to what happened today. Twitch didn't respond instantly because there's probably no one awake at the office right now.

Edited by UndeadRyker

Password changed, not that I use Twitch much since TB passed away.

Interesting how the leaks made reference to a potential Steam competitor. Fantastic, ANOTHER bloody PC client, only this time you run the risk of losing access to all of your purchases if you say something too "gamer". No thanks.

Twitch does what Twitch can do the best, being a laughing stock and have IT I feel consists of one guy pushing one button every so often.

12 hours ago, scalliano said:

Password changed, not that I use Twitch much since TB passed away.

Interesting how the leaks made reference to a potential Steam competitor. Fantastic, ANOTHER bloody PC client, only this time you run the risk of losing access to all of your purchases if you say something too "gamer". No thanks.

What exactly is "too gamer" ? So if I talk about skyboxes or hexediting HoMaM saves, then I get banned?

Interesting how big companies/services have been catching fire consecutively lately. First Facebook and Instagram crashed, then Twitter, now this. Somebody said maybe centralization isn't the greatest idea for major technologies, and I'm inclined to agree with them.

1 hour ago, Coopersville said:

I see my girl Kaceytron is making just shy of 200k. Not bad for someone dodging the IRS and ripping bongs in an RV.

What? I checked the channel and I have hard time finding some games, only some card and dating and IRL garbage. Where are the games?

I’m glad I don’t use twitch and even more glad I never wasted my money tipping any of these streamers that are making near millions before ad revenue and tipping donations are accounted for, but this comes as no surprise to me that they’re making as much as they are. Not everyone who’s info was included has addressed the leak but there’s been a mixed response about how accurate the figures were. Some are saying they make way less and others are saying it’s an accurate representation of what they make before tax. Either way, if they’re smart they will ensure their finances are secure because they could now be targets for criminals. 

Damn! Do these websites require to be such big in memory?

Also, I hate twitch, I don't like the people at it at all, I just like how you can interact better with viewers. I'll use Altair when it drops out.

3 hours ago, RetroAkaMe said:

Damn! Do these websites require to be such big in memory?

165 GB is nothing in a business-class server, much less distributed servers like Twitch uses. Corporations can afford 20+ TB HDs with ease.

21 hours ago, TheNoob_Gamer said:

Interesting how big companies/services have been catching fire consecutively lately. First Facebook and Instagram crashed, then Twitter, now this. Somebody said maybe centralization isn't the greatest idea for major technologies

it is more about incompetence. do you believe that competent engineers will a) stay working there, and b) be in control of things? big corps are driven by managers, and those managers are morons, no exceptions. there's only so much room inside your stomach for that, and then you leave. being competent, you don't have big problems to find another work (or just do nothing at all). as the time passes, the more and more competent egineers are replaced by average, then below average, then below below average, and so on. (don't forget crunch times, and the whole "pay less, work more" politic of any big company out there.)

so next time when you'll think: "'cmon, they can't be SO stupid!", just say to yourself: "oh, yeah, they can." the longer the company on the market, the worser it is there. it just lowered enough for script kiddies to "hack" them (or sometimes they can do it with themselves even without any external help, lol).

From what I found out elsewhere is that only the source code was leaked not actual password and login data, but in any case it's always good to change your passwords.

Changing your passwords prior to twitch confirming closure of any holes and exploits within the site is arguably pointless - doubly so if the source code to the site is actually leaked; "hackers", for want of a better word, now have the best tools available to look for further exploits. That said I still would do so for added safety / peace of mind.

Most important thing you can do is enable 2FA if you want to protect your account, that way even if your password is exposed they still cannot access your account... Not that any of us are going to be targets anyway - not a single one of us are earning those exorbitant payouts that have supposedly been leaked, after all.

53 minutes ago, Dragonfly said:

enable 2FA if you want to protect your account

I have that enabled on arguably my most important accounts, but I swear it's busted on both Twitter and Twitch. The former I've used twice before and had to keep turning it off because it'll just stop SMSing me a code to get in. Had I not the mobile app, I would've been locked out of my account completely. The latter, for whatever reason, breaks the Twitch screen. I swear, the past few days I've been trying to get it to cooperate and without fail, each time I've enabled it the screen gives me the "Network Error 2000" even though whatever stream I'm looking at is actually working perfectly fine, so I have to turn it off to be able to see anything.

I love how I try to do the right thing, but these stupid websites that make more money than I'll ever see in my life are seemingly held together with duct tape and clown jizz.

On 10/7/2021 at 7:25 AM, Sokoro said:

What? I checked the channel and I have hard time finding some games, only some card and dating and IRL garbage. Where are the games?

Check her YouTube channel. She makes tons of content, but I mostly just wait to see what makes it to YT.