Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Remilia Scarlet

[Release] Kill, a 25 year old megawad for Doom 1 (v1.2.1)

1 minute ago, Endless said:

A piece of history

This is how I see it, and how I hope others see it.  This thing is like a time capsule.  Aside from a demo I released two decades ago, and a few times I sent it to curious friends, it's never properly seen the light of day.  It's not Me from Today.  It's Me from The 90s.

Well, still better than what I could churn out at the time by torturing DEU :-p

Congrats on winning this year's Mordeth award!

In all seriousness I'm going to have to give this a try, always liked the classic stuff and those are some pretty good-looking screenshots. Congrats on the release!

pretty cool!

I also released levels I made in the 90s some years ago. Not everybody believed me when I told them they were from the 90s, despite the file dates though.

Personally I also kind of like the vibe that exists in all those older levels from the 90s...

They were pioneering in a way, since they were made when doing custom doom maps was a brand new concept.

I like that you did not remaster the levels so they can continue to accurately reflect the time where they were made.

However, you can always consider to select some levels from this release that you absolutely love above all other levels and then remaster those in a new release at some point...

Then you can have the same level back then and now and be able to compare. That might be interesting...

You would then be able to combine your creativity from the 90s with your current skills while also be able to see how much you have evolved since then.

I am still pretty green at mapping, despite having mapped in the 90s, but I did also take a very very long break from doom and doom mapping... I hope that I too will get there, some day... :-)

Atleast for me, it has been an interesting experience to remaster some of my 90s levels and update them to UDMF and with the things I can do in UDMF now, despite that I still have MUCH to learn about all the cool stuff that UDMF supports.

Still this release of yours, also makes a lot of sense as a time capsule, but remastered versions in another release at a later date in addition to this release

would also make sense I think.

Holy shit, this looks badass. Doomguy's fiancé? How does anyone come up with that, even? As an aspiring map maker, and one who hopes to give his maps some real corny story setups, I hope I can make it to the level of teenage you. I'll probably have to take notes on your visual design, because those screenshots are stunning.

I haven't played any of your other maps, but just by reading their titles, I know I gotta. I mean, come on:

Freaky Panties 2: Boxers or Briefs

That's fuckin' awesome!

... Also, obligatory "where's your profile pic from"?

5 hours ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

This is how I see it, and how I hope others see it.  This thing is like a time capsule.  Aside from a demo I released two decades ago, and a few times I sent it to curious friends, it's never properly seen the light of day.  It's not Me from Today.  It's Me from The 90s.

Where was the demo released? Back in usenet days?

Well, this is a pleasant surprise. Can always use more Doom1 mapsets - the more the merrier, I say.

Will be checking this out thoroughly when I have the time. :)

I'm havin' a blast with this wad. It stinks like 90's and E1M5 has a jank Barbie midi while you run through gore and guresomly kill imps with a shotgun while shotgunners guresomly kill you. Even when you play as Doomguys GF (Or fiancé were you forgot the 'é') and it should feel girly, but it does not fit at all and I love it.

I'm really curious how this mapset evolves to the further I play this, only at E1M6 right now...

4 hours ago, CBM said:

However, you can always consider to select some levels from this release that you absolutely love above all other levels and then remaster those in a new release at some point... 

I was considering this! Some of the levels feel like they could use a modern touch to really bring out what I was wanting to do with them back in my teenage years. Perhaps for Eschatology.

3 hours ago, Archfiend said:

.. Also, obligatory "where's your profile pic from"? 

It's Remilia Scarlet from Touhou Project. This picture in particular is by s_Vileblood on Twitter.

2 hours ago, princetontiger said:

Where was the demo released? Back in usenet days? 

On some Angelfire website I had that doesn't exist anymore.   I never uploaded it to idgames, so it's effectively gone forever.

So there I was with my Big Mac and Snickers bar ... playing like it was 1995! Damn.

This is cacoawards material. What fun.... just completed episode 1 (a few deaths), and I'm onto episode 2

It has a few brutal traps. I was thinking they were bugs, but nope. This wad was definitely meant to be unforgiving and force level restarts just purely off of timing and missteps.

This is great stuff, especially for 1996 standards. Ah, if only this was released back then. Avant-garde level design fans would've creamed our pants about stuff like this back in the 90s.

5 minutes ago, kalensar said:

It has a few brutal traps. I was thinking they were bugs, but nope. This wad was definitely meant to be unforgiving and force level restarts just purely off of timing and missteps.

Yeah, depending on your skill level and the difficulty setting, it can be pretty brutal in places.  Just with testing it for release, I noticed myself thinking "wow, I must have been a lot better at Doom in my youth than I am nowadays."  There were a few places, mainly in E2 and E3, where I smoothed it out just a tiny bit because it was just absurd or plain unfair.  Like E3M1 originally had three teleporters next to each other, and one of them led to a death trap that you couldn't escape.  I removed the death trap, a change I had planned for many many years :-P 

1 minute ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Yeah, depending on your skill level and the difficulty setting, it can be pretty brutal in places.  Just with testing it for release, I noticed myself thinking "wow, I must have been a lot better at Doom in my youth than I am nowadays."  There were a few places, mainly in E2 and E3, where I smoothed it out just a tiny bit because it was just absurd or plain unfair.  Like E3M1 originally had three teleporters next to each other, and one of them led to a death trap that you couldn't escape.  I removed the death trap, a change I had planned for many many years :-P 

E1m2. I got soft locked in the tiny little room where the Rocketlauncher was. lmfao

Just now, kalensar said:

E1m2. I got soft locked in the tiny little room where the Rocketlauncher was. lmfao

LOL I must have missed a softlock.  I'll add that to my list of things for v1.1, thank you!

Hopefully v1.1 won't take another 25 years to be released.

5 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

LOL I must have missed a softlock.  I'll add that to my list of things for v1.1, thank you!

Hopefully v1.1 won't take another 25 years to be released.

Oh so it was a bug! =) 

The maps are small enough I  thought that it was intentional, especially given its geriatric Doom age. Even Romero had unintentional/intentional soft locks and death pits.

40 minutes ago, Plank_Guy_89 said:

For a wad mostly developed in a pre-doombuilder world, it's alright.

Damn, I didn't even consider that Doom Builder didn't exist at the time. It'd be hard enough to create anything this good-looking with Doom Builder, haha.

1 minute ago, Archfiend said:

Damn, I didn't even consider that Doom Builder didn't exist at the time. It'd be hard enough to create anything this good-looking with Doom Builder, haha.

Especially by 90s standards! Stuff like WadEditor was fricking hard to deal with, especially harder now that we have grown up with good old DB2, DBX, and UDB, but that stuff might've been ridiculous. Imagine the dudes over at TeamTNT making Evilution, and the Casalis making Plutonia. Just as hard, probably harder!

10 minutes ago, Archfiend said:

Yep, almost all pre-Doom Builder.  Imagine using Eureka (which is based on Yadex, which was a Unix port of DEU back in the day, so it's DEU's descendent), but in DOS and without a 3D mode.  And your workflow is: insert vertices, select them in proper order (clockwise usually), hit insert to create linedefs, select linedefs, hit insert to create sector, adjust.  And sometimes you gotta edit the sector references on sidedefs manually because you had to split something or messed up.  That's basically what DEU felt like.

E3M4 is around where I started using the original Doom Builder, which was used for E3M4-E3M6.  I also started E3M7 with it, but never finished it until this week.  So E3M7 is a mix of DB1 and UDB, so that one likely feels the most modern both due to the editor, and because I built about 1/3rd of it new in the past few days.

But the rest... all DEU.  Well, a slightly customized build of DEU that I wrote to practice programming, but it behaved the same.

20 minutes ago, Remilia Scarlet said:

Imagine using Eureka (which is based on Yadex, which was a Unix port of DEU back in the day, so it's DEU's descendent), but in DOS and without a 3D mode.  And your workflow is: insert vertices, select them in proper order (clockwise usually), hit insert to create linedefs, select linedefs, hit insert to create sector, adjust.  And sometimes you gotta edit the sector references on sidedefs manually because you had to split something or messed up.

So basically, if mapmaking had a NM difficulty.

42 minutes ago, Widosm said:

Looks like we found the Mordeth award recipient.

lol, if I'm not mistaken, this is about one year older than Mordeth.  So if I can get this out after 25 years, hopefully Mordeth will follow :-P

KHhKrCE.png

Love that chess. I had a good time playing through e1. I played pistol start with no problems. Thanks to that secret berserker pack. :)
Some things:

Spoiler

Gj3YvcKm.pngjeadbiPm.pngi8wPXsom.pngGfbwxJ7m.png

I wall grabbed that red keycard in the room with the imp pillars and then feel weird the progression.
I fell over the yellow key. (wall grab accidentally).
There's some invisible blocking geometry there in that corridor.
The portal ending looks strange.

Also got stuck in that closet with the rocket launcher.
I played in EE.