Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Dweller Dark

Any tips to beat Icon of Sin?

Finally got around to playing Doom 2 and I'm at the Icon of Sin, but I'm having trouble killing the damn thing, so I need tips (I already know that I need to get rockets into that thing on his skull). 

Unfortunately, once you know what you should be doing and where you should be aiming, there's really no advice or strategies that'll help at that point: it's all down to making attempts at it until you get the hang of the timing and dial it in. It's often said that you should fire when your weapon sprite touches the bottom of the Icon's chin - maybe start from there and experiment with earlier or later shots.

Also, it helps if you can efficiently switch back & forth from the BFG (to clear monsters while the elevator's lowering) to the Rocket Launcher (while centering yourself in the middle of the elevator and preparing to take a shot at the boss). Time is of the essence during this battle, and efficiently clearing the bottom of the stage gives you a bit more breathing room to line up a shot. That said, it's often worth it to drop what you're doing and go after any Pain Elementals or Arch-Viles if you're unlucky enough to get one of those rare spawns - they interfere with you way more than the other rabble does.

18 minutes ago, head_cannon said:

Unfortunately, once you know what you should be doing and where you should be aiming, there's really no advice or strategies that'll help at that point: it's all down to making attempts at it until you get the hang of the timing and dial it in. It's often said that you should fire when your weapon sprite touches the bottom of the Icon's chin - maybe start from there and experiment with earlier or later shots.

Also, it helps if you can efficiently switch back & forth from the BFG (to clear monsters while the elevator's lowering) to the Rocket Launcher (while centering yourself in the middle of the elevator and preparing to take a shot at the boss). Time is of the essence during this battle, and efficiently clearing the bottom of the stage gives you a bit more breathing room to line up a shot. That said, it's often worth it to drop what you're doing and go after any Pain Elementals or Arch-Viles if you're unlucky enough to get one of those rare spawns - they interfere with you way more than the other rabble does.

I'll need to remember that next time I play Doom 2, then. I admit that I took the easy way out and BFG'd Romero's head, but I would have burned out taking it down the normal way since timing is the one thing I'm extremely bad at. 

Mouselook makes it very, very easy. When doing it normally, just pray to god you don't get an archvile.

16 minutes ago, Coopersville said:

Turn on mouselook. 

Woof apparently doesn't have mouselook, but I no-clipped to where Romero's head was and put a BFG to it.

7 hours ago, Eddie 2077 said:

Woof apparently doesn't have mouselook, but I no-clipped to where Romero's head was and put a BFG to it.

This is for the best TBH.

Right before the top of the rocket launcher reaches his chin, let a rocket out.  I found this out somewhere online on a text.  Think it was classicdoom.com or somewhere else. 

I do it this way and works everytime.  Yeah I did the idclip too to go where romero is, im shure alot of people did.  One day I just wanted to finish the last level the other way and I finally did.

Just practice. Easiest way is to save on the elevator and keep reloading until you get a shot in. Repeat 3 times, you can be done very quickly. Or even better, keep reloading, until you manage to get a shot in on the way up AND while dropping from the elevator. Then you can be done in only 2 trips.

The key setup part is getting on the elevator at the right moment. Lower it and get on the moment it starts going up. That way, you will avoid every projectile coming your way. The only enemies that you should really concern yourself with are Arch-Viles (which make shooting the Icon pretty much impossible) and Pain Elementals (the Lost Souls have a tendency to annoy you/ruin your aim at the worst time).

Ways to defeat the icon of sin.

• Shoot it until it dies (DUH...)
  • Usual lift activation and time the right height to shoot to the small hole with that "exposed" brain. (Recommended and intended way)
  • Use mouselook to make things easier (crosshair is optional and helps a lot).
  • NOCLIP the bastard and do whatever you want to torture his stick
  • Use some monsters to damage him. Cyberdemons are the best choice.
  • Use the blast done by the archviles' flames to deal damage (TAS only, so far)
  • Use the command "summon bossbrain" to get a free icon of sin and kill it. Easy...right?
  • Use an archvile and time it right to make a jump at the top center of the wall (there's a ledge to be able to stand). Shoot the bastard quick while you can...

That's for map 30 of Doom 2....at least.

With the first version of Doom2 from the 90's, I beat the Icon by shooting rockets in the brains window just before the lift ended its upwards movement or just at the beginning of the long fall from the platform. Now, its easier with the possibility of aiming, but you still have to do this as fast as you can before too many monsters get summoned. If your cheating, IDCLIP can take you inside the chamber. I always wondered who's head this was. Another more elegant way of cheating is by using the console to FLY. You can also make it easier by making a PWAD copy of Doom2.wad, adjust the platform's height to match the brainhole's height...

CACOA2A8blue2.png

Copy / paste Map30 into a new map, move the player start next to the elevator switch, and then remove all other things in the map. Practice timing your rockets as much as you need without worrying about anything getting in the way.

Once you're ready for the real deal, BFG the living piss out of pain elementals before it becomes a lost soul orgy, then make sure nothing is below the elevator because autoaim will screw you into next week.

!oremoR nhoJ ,em llik tsum uoy ,emag eht niw oT

Here's the fastest way to beat the Icon of Sin in simple steps:

Step 1: Turn on freelook

Step 2: Move your cursor at the right spot

Step 3: Fire 3 rockets

Step 4: ???

Step 5: Profit

14 hours ago, Maes said:

!oremoR nhoJ ,em llik tsum uoy ,emag eht niw oT

I misread that at first and thought it said you needed to like John Romero to win the game.

Is that how SIGIL 2 will end?

6 hours ago, PsychEyeball said:

I misread that at first and thought it said you needed to like John Romero to win the game.

Is that how SIGIL 2 will end?

It's Romero, ofc SIGIL 2 will end like this