Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Archfiend

I'm gonna download either Windows XP or 95. Which would you guys recommend?

Ive switched my chromebook over to GalliumOS, The big problem is the drivers for the chromebook are pretty special as a few keys are missing from the keyboard, also alot of the chipsets are ARM not intel which I think will cause a problem with installing windows, It looks like it is possible from a google search... but how functional it will be is another issue, maybe try to use GalliumOS and use VMware for your windows boot? VirtualBox is free and runs well in Gallium, Use a flashdrive to hold your virtual HD and windows ISO because space on the chromebooks suck

And yes to above you have to flash a new bios which is a pain I don't like Mr. Chromebooks, I use a different one:
https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/rom-download/

Edited by Monry

7 hours ago, Nikku4211 said:

I've tried multiple old versions of DirectDraw DLLs, and the game either crashes in fullscreen or does this weird anaglyphic colour glitch I've already shown.

It sounds more like you're over thinking the problem and have just made it worse. Get rid of anything you've downloaded, especially DLLs, and then just change the compatibility options of the executable (right click->properties). You need to have 256 colour compatibility enabled.

2 hours ago, Edward850 said:

It sounds more like you're over thinking the problem and have just made it worse. Get rid of anything you've downloaded, especially DLLs, and then just change the compatibility options of the executable (right click->properties). You need to have 256 colour compatibility enabled.

I have tried that before I started putting DLLs in my ZDoom117c directory, and I still got the same problem.

Just tried again, with no DLLs in my ZDoom117c folder once again, and I still got the colour problem even with 256 colour compatibility enabled.

It didn't seem to matter whether I chose Windows 98 compatibility mode or Windows XP compatibility mode, either.

I have even tried disabling fullscreen optimisations with 256 colour compatibility and running as administrator and I still got the colour problem.

It might just be your graphics drivers then. They may be exposing a colour or resolution profile that ZDoom thinks it can use but is actually incompatible with the GDI in 8bit mode.

9 hours ago, Monry said:

Ive switched my chromebook over to GalliumOS, The big problem is the drivers for the chromebook are pretty special as a few keys are missing from the keyboard, also alot of the chipsets are ARM not intel which I think will cause a problem with installing windows, It looks like it is possible from a google search... but how functional it will be is another issue, maybe try to use GalliumOS and use VMware for your windows boot? VirtualBox is free and runs well in Gallium, Use a flashdrive to hold your virtual HD and windows ISO because space on the chromebooks suck

And yes to above you have to flash a new bios which is a pain I don't like Mr. Chromebooks, I use a different one:
https://johnlewis.ie/custom-chromebook-firmware/rom-download/

GalliumOS doesn't support ARM chipsets which makes no sense when you are targeting Chromebooks.  Shame, it looks nice.

On 10/7/2021 at 10:20 AM, Archfiend said:

So I'm gonna download either Windows XP or 95 (or maybe Vista). They all have their own appeal, visually.

Why not Windows 11?

I think your laptop can afford it

9 hours ago, The Doommer said:

Why not Windows 11?

I think your laptop can afford it

hate the look of it. Even Windows 10 is better than it, in my opinion.

On 10/7/2021 at 11:17 PM, Colusio said:

Xp has support for full screen in dos. Windows 7 and it's predecessor Vista lost that.

Windows NT and all OSs based on NT does not contain DOS. Every DOS executable runs in the NTVDM (virtual dos machine), which was designed for running DOS business applications. If you want to play games, prepare for many problems, i.e. missing sound.

Very early Windows XP versions (like pre-SP1 early) still had the ability to sorta-kinda run DOS games with direct hardware access for sound cards and even some crude Sound Blaster emulation (DSP only, not FM sound). But even back then DOSBOX was preferable if you wanted any sort of consistent frame rate. SP1 notoriously removed even that limited compatibility (or rather, "tolerance").

5 hours ago, Maes said:

But even back then DOSBOX was preferable

DOSBox didn't exist "back then" and didn't have any kind of decent performance in things as complex as Doom until 2010 or so.

16 hours ago, chungy said:

DOSBox didn't exist "back then" and didn't have any kind of decent performance in things as complex as Doom until 2010 or so.

Weird, I remember using it in 2003...

Initial release: January 31, 2002; 19 years ago

In fact, I got my first XP computer in early 2003, so DOSBOX was already out and about for some time. I don't remember how good the CPU emulation speed was, but I remember it being quite OK for the time. In fact, I think the CPU emulator/cycle settings was something they got as good as it got right from the start. Then again I only tried it with titles such as Larry 2 or Dune II at the time...

Windows XP SP1 was out in September 2002, but adoption was not immediate, so I and most users got quite a bit of "SP0" hours logged, even in 2003. That explains why you often get contradictory reports on XP's compatibility with DOS games. Then again, there was a faster alternative called VDMSound, which allowed for some quite impressive stunts, like running CyberBykes (or Shadow Racer VR) directly and at absurdly high resolutions,l like 1600 x 1200, at full speed, on an Athlon XP3200+, straight from Windows XP SP3 O_o

On 10/9/2021 at 7:25 PM, Archfiend said:

Even Windows 10

Windows 10 is pretty solid imo

When you get the hang of annoying stuff, that is

Dear @Archfiend,

instead of Windows, I'm always recommending to give ReactOS a first try, independent of its stage of development. If you prefer, install it within VirtualBox fist.

Based upon your post and question, I've installed ReactOS and playing the latest LZDoom within half-an hour and out-of-the-box.

Spoiler

VirtualBox_ReactOS_07_10_2021_22_34_04.png.8f22344ef9bf6d2c6c33bc569a9c486b.png

Best regards