Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DCasali

Playing through Punish2.wad 28 years after making it

Recommended Posts

On 10/18/2021 at 11:30 AM, Dusty_Rhodes said:

 TNT, as much as I enjoy it, had some real stinkers near the end. Nowadays, that secret map from TNT is considered the start of the adventure mapping style, who knows if we'd have Epic 1 and 2, Eternal Doom, Phocas Island, Earth, Grove, or the many other great adventure wads without it.

Eternal Doom was in development before TNT was released though, not to mention the man that was probably one of the primary founders of the former project (Paul Schmitz) had released what arguably was one of the first true adventure maps (Artifact, though there are lesser known examples such as Castle of Evil made by other mappers). Good call on Epic though. That's like an "Egypt: The Wad."

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Eternal Doom was in development before TNT was released though, not to mention the man that was probably one of the primary founders of the former project (Paul Schmitz) had released what arguably was one of the first true adventure maps (Artifact, though there are lesser known examples such as Castle of Evil made by other mappers). Good call on Epic though. That's like an "Egypt: The Wad."

Thanks for the correction, I was unaware. I still think the point stands, just less so :D

 

I'll have to check out his other wads, as I've never seen them before. Very cool.

Share this post


Link to post
On 10/18/2021 at 12:36 PM, xdude_gamer said:

Speaking of Valve games, which parts/levels of HL1 did you make? Just wondering.

I didn't make Xen, hah! I worked on Power Up, Residue Processing, Questionable Ethics and Surface Tension. I also made some multiplayer maps - Crossfire, Boot Camp, Snarkpit, Subtransit and Undertow

Share this post


Link to post

Questionable Ethics and Surface Tension are the best parts IMO, intense and exciting. Also, a lot of people give Xen crap, but I think it's really good, but then I also found platforming in Half-Life to be really intuitive and easy, which apparently a lot of people don't.

Share this post


Link to post
44 minutes ago, DCasali said:

I also made some multiplayer maps - Crossfire, Boot Camp ...

:O

 

My most played multiplayer maps, together with my mother. Several good hours were wasted on both . . .

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, DCasali said:

I didn't make Xen, hah! I worked on Power Up, Residue Processing, Questionable Ethics and Surface Tension. I also made some multiplayer maps - Crossfire, Boot Camp, Snarkpit, Subtransit and Undertow

Questionable Ethics and Surface Tension are the most fun to be had in Half Life. I love that game.

Share this post


Link to post
12 minutes ago, Dusty_Rhodes said:

Questionable Ethics and Surface Tension are the most fun to be had in Half Life. I love that game.

Surface Tension, boy that was the best darn chapter in Half Life.  That had 13 year old me in '99 on the edge of my seat.  Still remember it like it was yesterday, good times indeed.

Share this post


Link to post
15 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Surface Tension, boy that was the best darn chapter in Half Life.  That had 13 year old me in '99 on the edge of my seat.  Still remember it like it was yesterday, good times indeed.

Man the tanks and helicopters, blasting through marines with the rocket launcher and shotgun, some of the best music made for a game pumping through your speakers . . . . It's so good. The cool thing about Half Life is that any time you bring it up, someone goes and plays it. I'll probably be playing through this weekend!

Share this post


Link to post

I still have my original box set :) guess there's no time like the present 

Share this post


Link to post

Surface Tension is by far and away the best level in Half Life. Traveling through a canyon above the desert floor 1000 feet below. Calling in a airstrike to destroy some of the aliens near the end. Diving below the dam to avoid a helicopter which wants to cut you to pieces. I space on the music because it wasn't really catchy like Doom's, but that might have made things better. Actually, I think Dario was involved in nearly all of my favorite levels ("We Got Hostiles" and "Lambda Core" being perhaps the excpetions").

t

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×