Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
The Doommer

Castle Totenkopf

It's a mod that was released for Wolf 3D, but is there like any project ongoing or in plans to make a TC for it?

It's a cool mod, pretty well made

Not to act out of prejudice,

but wer are talking about Wolfenstein 3D, right?

How can any amount of modding on this engine do anything interesting, besides moving it to stronger engines...

2 minutes ago, ChestedArmor said:

How can any amount of modding on this engine do anything interesting, besides moving it to stronger engines...

I mean. The level design is pretty solid imo

And it has done some stuff that is only seen in later games (Doors being opened upon a death trigger, Resurrecting enemies, doors inaccessible from one side)

I'd say pretty interesting stuff for an otherwise uninteresting engine

40 minutes ago, ChestedArmor said:

you would be surprised, how far you can take Wolfenstein 3d's visuals and level design.
Mods like Spear: End of Destiny and Castle Totenkopf SDL are some of the best mods I've played and i go back to them.

5 hours ago, ChestedArmor said:

Well, I never liked how the Doom engine (talking of stronger engines) executes Wolfenstein-like gameplay. Maybe the reasons are the following (mainly subjective):

1. The light fading in Doom makes everything look drab in comparison to Wolf3D
  2. The Doom monster AI sucks. It was made for completely barbaric beasts of hell. Now I'm not going to evaluate the morality or intelligence of virtual Nazi game enemies, but tactically they were a bit more powerful in Wolf3D, even if by pure mechanics. Basically, the Wolf3D enemies were stronger in groups. The Doom monsters are NOT. Infighting, but also blocking their own attacks plays a role in making Doom monsters dumber. It's also the equally primitive pursuit AI, which in Doom suffers a lot more due to the more advanced layout.

I don't know how far did Blade of Agony (the latest Wolfenstein Doom TC) advance to solve these problems, probably a lot. But until here, we have had a lot of Wolf3D Doom TCs with these flaws.

Of course, Wolf3D is just 2D, orthogonal and really plain in features: just doors, secret doors and combat. No complex machinery like in Doom or especially later games. What may make Wolf3D compelling to play anyway is the atmosphere created by the music, the textures, the difficulty and the unknown. There's also the feeling of place and purpose, often with lots of back story filled with historical and science-fiction motifs, unlike most Doom mods which just throw demons at you in a nondescript world with you as a nondescript tough guy who just wants to survive, rip and tear until it's done. And when you play any of the source code Wolf3D mods, you're right to be spooked, because literally anything can appear behind the corner (technically even something that may harm your computer, but let's trust the popular mods that they're safe to run :) ).

14 hours ago, jazzmaster9 said:

Mods like Spear: End of Destiny and Castle Totenkopf SDL are some of the best mods I've played and i go back to them.

The only reason I ask for a Doom version is that Wolf3D mods suck in terms of graphic quality compared to Doom tbh

For example everything looking like pixels from a distance