Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lubba127

is it possible to make a mod for GZDoom that allows for a fixed kill counter?

Hey everybody!

For awhile I've been wondering if it's possible to make a modification to GZDoom's monster counter that lets it function under a fixed enemy count (only counting placed monsters, excludes PE lost souls and revived demons). Something reminiscent of classic Doom's kill counter instead of the one that ZDoom currently uses.

And I'm not asking for this to be a built in feature, because I'm well aware of Graph Zhal's wishes to keep the kill counter the way it is. it's his choice and I'm fine with that.

What I am asking is if it's possible to modify GZDoom to have an optional "classic" kill counter. if anyone has any ideas they can bounce off of me, please feel free to reply!

also, this is a thread I was looking through today. perhaps there's something useful to be gained from it?  EDIT: before you say the obvious, yes I'm aware that you can add -COUNTKILL to lost souls in the GZDoom.pk3 file, I'm more curious about whether or not you can add a static kill count to the game. 

Edited by lubba127

Yes, you can.

What you need to do is rather simple: replace the relevant monsters (pain elemental and arch-vile) and override their monster-spawning/resurrecting functions to include one crucial change: in both, add a line removing the bCountKill flag from the spawned/resurrected monster.

You could do the same thing for the BossEye class.

Note that this will not affect monsters spawned by scripts, but that shouldn't be a problem, especially if you play maps that don't have scripts.

56 minutes ago, Gez said:

Yes, you can.

What you need to do is rather simple: replace the relevant monsters (pain elemental and arch-vile) and override their monster-spawning/resurrecting functions to include one crucial change: in both, add a line removing the bCountKill flag from the spawned/resurrected monster.

Note that this will not affect monsters spawned by scripts, but that shouldn't be a problem, especially if you play maps that don't have scripts.

thank you! where do I do this though? GZDoom.pk3? 

6 hours ago, lubba127 said:

thank you! where do I do this though? GZDoom.pk3? 

In your mod. Never edit the PK3s that come with GZDoom, or you will screw things up in all sorts of ways.

On 10/9/2021 at 2:45 PM, Gez said:

Yes, you can.

sorry for bumping after so long, but could you go into further detail on where and how I implement this? is it something in zscript, decorate, or something else? again, sorry for my unusually delayed reply. hope you see this, and I hope you have a great day :D

On 11/4/2021 at 10:39 PM, lubba127 said:

sorry for bumping after so long, but could you go into further detail on where and how I implement this? is it something in zscript, decorate, or something else? again, sorry for my unusually delayed reply. hope you see this, and I hope you have a great day :D

ACTOR NewLostSoul : LostSoul // make a special lost soul for the replacement painelemental to shoot with
{
  -COUNTKILL //This lost soul should not be counted towards the kill total
}

ACTOR NewPainElemental : PainElemental replaces PainElemental
{

States
  {
    Missile:
      PAIN D 5 A_FaceTarget
      PAIN E 5 A_FaceTarget
      PAIN F 5 Bright A_FaceTarget
      PAIN F 0 Bright A_PainAttack("NewLostSoul")
      Goto See
   }

}

I dont know about the archvile but something similar to the above decorate code may work for the pain elemental... not tested though... notice how the new actors inherits everything from the original monster actors but changes only the things they need to change... the new lost soul doesnt replace the lost soul because we only need the new lost soul monster as something the new pain elemental can shoot with while the new pain elemental is replacing the existing pain elemental