Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

What are your favorite MAP01/E1M1 MIDIs?

Icarus Map 01 - Cool spacey vibe that sort of goes with the general theme and makes an EXCELLENT opening track. The 'Demon's Dead' reprise at the end just makes it all the sweeter.

After that is the insanely unbeatable 'Hidden Anger' from Memento Mori (I could say so much more!)and the original Last Ninja midi used in AV Map 01 (the replacement is a bit shit, to be quite honest; I just prefer the adventurous feel of the TLN track).

Sigil's map01. It has such a badass midi, awesome visuals and a map name that comes straight from a metal album.."Baphomet's Demesne"

Some of my personal favorites:

• Sigil E5M1 - "Hate Machine" by James Paddock (even though it's been said a trillion times already)
  • Back to Saturn X MAP01 - "Entering" by Sarah Mancuso
  • Freedoom Phase 2 MAP01 - untitled track by Blueworrior
  • Dragonfly - "Detonation" from the TNT: Evilution MIDI Pack (seriously, I was on that project and I still have no idea how the whole thing is so consistently good)
  • Mark Klem - "Midnight Call", as used in MAP01 of Eviternity (it is actually a Memento Mori 2 track, but fits quite well there)
  • MegaSphere - "Are We Really Doing This" from the Master Levels MIDI Pack (although I prefer to stay as far away from ML as possible, so I see this more as a good opening to an album)
  • The untitled Carmageddon MIDI used in Alien Vendetta's original MAP01.
Edited by northivanastan

There's so many I like:

D5M1

Doom 1 E1M1

Sin City (2001) MAP01

Void MAP01

SOS Doom v0.3 MAP01

Sailor Moon Doom v3 MAP01

I can't think of any more.

I just made an account to say that the music in map 1 of Mutiny is my favorite. I wish I knew how to rip midis, because Id convert it to a cd and jam out to it in my car.

9 hours ago, vajrabolt said:

I just made an account to say that the music in map 1 of Mutiny is my favorite. I wish I knew how to rip midis, because Id convert it to a cd and jam out to it in my car.

Usually you'd use a program like SLADE 3 to take the MIDI from the WAD, which is often named 'D_RUNNIN' when it's on map 1.

On 10/15/2021 at 11:25 AM, vajrabolt said:

Ah, I'll give you my tips!

1. Find the files!

2. Find a burnable CD!

3. Go into Windows Media Player.

4. Drag them into there.
5. Burn them onto the CD with the option.

6. Magic...

Scythe 2 - "Temple of Love" by Sisters of Mercy - great opener that gets you in the mood and creates anticipation for what lies ahead.

Valiant - "Air" by @stewboy - my personal favourite; spacy, ethereal & rhythmic yet calming - needs a good SC-55 soundfont to really shine, though

Alien Vendetta (2001 release) - Track 1 of Last Ninja 2 - one of the coolest video game themes ever, a classic from the C64 era and the perfect sound to get you pumped for the rest of the wad; the melody is the very definition of "epic video game cool". For the 2002 re-release they unfortunately decided to move the track to Map24 but IMO it is a much better fit for Map01 than the "new" one from Carmageddon, which always felt rather misplaced to me as an opener with its wonky percussive sounds at the start though it does get better as the track continues. But the Last Ninja track just pumps you up from the word "go". I recommend editing the 2002 re-release to feature the original opener.

Bauhaus - "Electric Blue" by The Cranberries - serene and lonesome - a great fit for the pristine, rough-hewn, modernist beauty seen in the Bauhaus architecture that is showcased in this first map. Very underrated set overall.

Edited by Gregor

Auger Zenith's map 01 glass messiah (dont know midi's name) - Whole track is just pure butter smooth sax perfectly fitting and opening great cyberpunk megawad

On 10/9/2021 at 4:55 PM, xdude_gamer said:

Mine are probably:

MAP01 from DWANGO5
MAP01 from Ode to the Odonata
MAP01 from TNT: Evilution
MAP01 from Eternal Doom 

Extradimensional Beings from D64D2. I cannot stress enough how blown away I was when I first heard this song. It’s rocking, it’s atmospheric, and it’s incredibly nostalgic somehow. It perfectly sets the tone for that megawad and is one of the best Doom tracks out there in my opinion.

I love Eviternity map01 music. It's honestly one of my favorite songs in the whole WAD.