Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BBQgiraffe

the most important poll in human history

what flavour jelly do you put on your pb&j  

97 members have voted

1. 1. what flavour jelly do you put on your pb&j

18 minutes ago, Doomkid said:

It’s such a sweet item with 0 nutritional value..

What? Peanut butter has a decent amount of protein.

That said, I really dislike peanut butter. I have gained an arms-length appreciation for it since I became an Adult who Generally Appreciates Having Food To Eat. I like peanut sauce quite a bit... but butter is just so sticky and intense. When I was in kindergarten my parents sent me to school once with a classic white bread PB&J for lunch. The whole thing got stuck to my mouth and I nearly threw up from gagging. I honestly don't think I have eaten a real PB&J since then.

So yeah. I'll put any kind of jelly + normal butter on my toast, thankyouverymuch. You can have all the peanut butter...

I have never even tried peanut butter and jelly. Probably cuz I dislike peanut butter, cuz it has no flavour. I guess that's why people put jelly in there, but I'm not gonna ever try it.

No PB&J at all where I come from lol... just your typical good old bread with maybe the occasional spreadable cheese and only for Breakfast.

Brit here - mixing fruit and strong milk flavours is about as gross as it gets to many of us; jam on regular cows' milk butter or margarine is OK but on peanut or peanut butters? No thanks:( When I want to vomit, the Itanium architecture and instruction set manuals are sufficient :P

8 hours ago, Chezza said:

Phew mate, I'm flat out as a Lizard drinking being a blind Freddy out at the black stump. But I'll tell you what mate, I'll bend the elbow and scull a couple tinnies with me tucker and then she'll be right.

I'll hazard a non-Aussie guess.

"My woman kicked me out of the house, but if I have a few drinks with her she'll take me back."

*shrug*

I must be one of those weird Aussies who has had (and enjoyed,) pb&j over the years. Strawberry is of course the jam of choice, though Raspberry is great too. Lots of butter, though I dislike white bread.

On a side note, Peanut Butter and Honey is an amazing combination. Similar in spirit to pb&j, with sweet and savory mixed together. And now just to prove my weird cred: My personal favorite combination (though I don't do it often,) is Peanut butter, honey, with a sprinkling of crushed-up orange flavored Vitamin C tablets. It is just like a zesty dehydrated orange marmalade! mmmmmm! Don't try this at home kids!

Also, dafuq is grape jelly? Who does that? (I am sure it is great, but I have never even heard of grape jelly, much less tried it. Here in Australia, I would suggest that Blueberry, Strawberry, Raspberry and Apricot jams are the main types, as well as marmalades like lime or lemon or apricot, which tend to be more bitter.)

Also, why does the word 'Raspberry' have a 'p' in it? seems kind of redundant, now that I think about it.

3 hours ago, TwinBeast said:

Smooth peanut butter with no sugar and blueberry raspberry jam. This has kinda become my vegan cheese replacement.

Peanuts, blueberries and raspberries all come from plants. That virtually makes it a salad.

16 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

A common American sandwich of Peanut Butter and Jelly. The "Jelly" they're referring to is jam. I've never tried it myself because the flavour combination sounds gross to me lol.

And for a moment there I was thinking B&J, Ben & Jerry's ice cream, and what odd flavours you foreigners take with it :-D

But no, peanut butter and jelly sandwich. I think I'd have thin air for a jam and eat only the jam.

Jelly and jam are different things, at least to me. Jelly is, well, jelly, a gelatinous, flavored goo, and it's pretty disgusting. Jam is smoother and more spreadable, and more resembles the actual fruit that it's made of.

4 hours ago, sluggard said:

No PB&J at all where I come from lol... just your typical good old bread with maybe the occasional spreadable cheese and only for Breakfast.

Just throw some peanutes in a blender with some vegetable oil. I imagine thats all it would take

8 minutes ago, pWNsH4RK said:

Just throw some peanutes in a blender with some vegetable oil. I imagine thats all it would take

nah i'm good, it's not really common here anyways, only reason i know it exists is through movies and series

8 hours ago, Doomkid said:

Really, I haven’t eaten PB&J since I was about 12. It’s such a sweet item with 0 nutritional value.. For people not born in the US wondering about it, it’s pretty much always done on white bread and with smooth peanut butter.

Two tablespoons of peanut butter has 8 grams of protein and 2-3 grams of fiber. That's certainly not zero nutritional value. If you're eating jelly, that's probably also giving you some Vitamin C.

Also, I will point out I've always been in team Extra Crunchy.

30 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Won't you try my wheat?

I'd like to experiment with a mixture. Peanut butter goes well with a variety of ingredients. 

34 minutes ago, Dark Pulse said:

Two tablespoons of peanut butter has 8 grams of protein and 2-3 grams of fiber. That's certainly not zero nutritional value. If you're eating jelly, that's probably also giving you some Vitamin C.

Also, I will point out I've always been in team Extra Crunchy.

I’m sure you’re right. I’ve heard peanut butter is worse for you than most people are willing to admit, but the person saying that was possibly mistaken.

My brain perceives anything that sweet, smooth and sticky to be “a sweet” rather than actual food, especially on white bread, which is all empty carbs. Crunchy peanut butter probably does scoot it further into the realm of actual food!

7 hours ago, Megalyth said:

I'll hazard a non-Aussie guess.

"My woman kicked me out of the house, but if I have a few drinks with her she'll take me back."

*shrug*

Not quite but you gave it a fair shake of the sauce bottle, I like it.

I'll provide the translation below:

Spoiler

Phew mate, I'm flat out as a Lizard drinking being a blind Freddy out at the black stump. But I'll tell you what mate, I'll bend the elbow and scull a couple tinnies with me tucker and then she'll be right.

=

Oh my, I've been rather busy attempting to cluelessly navigate my way through this rural location. I'm going to take a break, drink a couple beverages with my meal and then all is well.

Edited by Chezza

23 minutes ago, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Why did the jelly roll?

Because it saw the apple turnover!

You have made the perfect dad joke.. I shall weaponize it.

1 hour ago, Doomkid said:

I’m sure you’re right. I’ve heard peanut butter is worse for you than most people are willing to admit, but the person saying that was possibly mistaken.

My brain perceives anything that sweet, smooth and sticky to be “a sweet” rather than actual food, especially on white bread, which is all empty carbs. Crunchy peanut butter probably does scoot it further into the realm of actual food!

Sweet peanut butter is pretty much only an American thing. The rest of the world simply makes peanut butter by, well, grinding down peanuts.

All righty, I'm a man of my word and I went ahead and made myself a PB&J for breakfast this morning. Unfortunately, I'm running low of "Jelly" as my American compadres like to call it, so the distribution of spreads was a tad uneven. My verdict is it was okay. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting, but the flavour combination wasn't nearly as contrasting as I thought it was going to be. It didn't blow my mind, but it didn't disgust me either. I can safely say that I like it and I'm definitely going to have to make another one when I have more jam. As for what flavour "jelly", I'm on Team Strawberry. ;^P

g3AFSwm.pngigiVHDT.png

I'm a Brit who moved to the US a few years ago, and I still don't "get" PB&J sandwiches. I have a theory that they're only popular because peanuts are cheap here. Peanuts are one of the foods that the US government subsidizes, so peanut products are somewhat cheaper than they "should" be. 

For example, a quick search at my local supermarket's website reveals you can buy a 16oz (~450g) tub of peanut butter for $2.49. At my old supermarket in the UK, I found the exact same brand of peanut butter going for the equivalent of $3.50 for 340g (~12oz). In other words, ~$0.15 per oz in the US vs. ~$0.30 in the UK. Literally double the cost.

A quick flick through the rest of the peanut butter inventories in both supermarkets reveal a similar story: in the UK, tubs are generally smaller and more expensive, while the US they're the other way around. I even found a 1.8Kg (~64oz) tub going for like $4.99 here, alongside a 15oz (~425g) homebrand tub going for $1.79. It's crazy cheap.

Have only had strawberry jam, honey, marshmallow fluff, and grape jelly.  Out of those I probably like strawberry jam the most, with the fluff coming in close second.

Curious to try raspberry, since a lot of people seem to like it.

Oh and peanut butter sandwiches are better on toast imo. 

Peanut butter is savory to me (like all the best foods). My current peanut butter has smoked paprika and dried chili in it and it is called, without a word of a lie ...

Smoking Hot Nut Butter.

So my answer to the poll is "none of your heathenous jelly".

If it weren't for PB&J, most of the touring Drum & Bugle Corps of the Drum Corps International membership wouldn't make it through a summer road tour. I ate many a PB&J sandwich while en route on a bus from one venue to the next during my 1984 tour with the Houston Night Hawks. Most of the time I had grape jelly, but sometimes I had strawberry preserves. That's all that was usually offered.

Gimme dat grape.

Strawberry and raspberry are both fine, but grape any day of the week.

Also, if you don't have any jelly/jam available, I urge you to try substituting with maple syrup---just a *light* drizzling, mind you, we're making a sandwich, not waffles. Seriously. Try it sometime, it ain't half bad. I would only do it on toasted bread, though.

8 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

All righty, I'm a man of my word and I went ahead and made myself a PB&J for breakfast this morning. Unfortunately, I'm running low of "Jelly" as my American compadres like to call it, so the distribution of spreads was a tad uneven. My verdict is it was okay. I'm not entirely sure what I was expecting, but the flavour combination wasn't nearly as contrasting as I thought it was going to be. It didn't blow my mind, but it didn't disgust me either. I can safely say that I like it and I'm definitely going to have to make another one when I have more jam. As for what flavour "jelly", I'm on Team Strawberry. ;^P

g3AFSwm.pngigiVHDT.png

See, you made some fundamental errors here. First, white bread sucks, use whole wheat bread. Second, creamy peanut butter instead of crunchy (and no, it doesn't have any actual "butter" in it, it's a spread made of peanuts) is better because it, well, spreads. Thirdly, liberally apply peanut butter to the bottom half of the sandwich bread, and a small coating on the upper half. This is important because the jam/jelly will tend to soak through the top half without it. Then apply two to three teaspoons of jam to the bottom half, spread it around on top of the peanut butter. Put the two halves together and enjoy with a tall glass of milk.

But yeah, I meant to clarify earlier, I prefer strawberry jam, not jelly. It's more spreadable, tastes more like strawberries, and it's got dem seeds in them. I have to have those seeds in my PBJ. 

The one in your pictures look like the sad PBJ's I had in elementary school, like the lunch lady's just didn't care that day. Mine don't look amazing, I mean it's bread, peanut butter, and jam, but they sure look better than that, and you deserve better.

11 minutes ago, Jello said:

creamy peanut butter instead of crunchy (and no, it doesn't have any actual "butter" in it, it's a spread made of peanuts) is better because it, well, spreads

I got that motherfucker spread all the way to the edges. I can spread crunchy like a champ. Git gud, mate.

kjDL7IV.png

12 minutes ago, Jello said:

white bread sucks

The picture doesn't show it, but that's not just any old white bread. What do you take me for, Jello?! It's high-fibre with sesame seeds on the crust and it's bloody fantastic. Best fucking white bread I've ever had. ;^) Regardless, I'll make sure to follow your directions when I make another one tomorrow.