Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
beezee88

really dumb... i'm new to editing

I'm building a level right now, and I was wondering how I put my own music in...
(I was reading all that complex stuff about snow, I must be the only person who doesn't know how to do this... please help :)

hang on, that didn't make sense, I missed out half the sentence... *SLAP*

I was reading all that complex stuff about snow, and I was impressed and confused at the same time. Nice effect though. I must be the only person who doesn't know how to put music in a wad though.

PLEASE HELP!!!

Go play wintex... I think it is the most newbie friendly there is... :)
Check the editors liste here at dw.

edit: damn, I think i was tired, I mean go find wintex... :)

It's not too hard. Is it just for one map? Map01? if so, then just rename the midi D_RUNNIN.mid then just insert into your wad

Torn said:

Go play wintex... I think it is the most newbie friendly there is... :)
Check the editors liste here at dw.

I've been editing since '94, and haven't got the hang of Wintex yet. There's something about it that simply doesn't make sense to my way of thinking. The program is quirky, unconventional, poorly laid out and impenetrable. It lacks features and the names of the various functions simply don't make sense to me, nor do the way it refers to the various files being processed. Even the newest version is outmoded and outdated if you want my opinion, which you probably don't. :-)

Heh my version of Wintex (4.3) kinda sucks in the textures department. You can never find exactly what you're looking for. Everything is wall this and APOI90 or whatever that. It's confusing.

DooMBoy said:

Heh my version of Wintex (4.3) kinda sucks in the textures department. You can never find exactly what you're looking for. Everything is wall this and APOI90 or whatever that. It's confusing.

Uh, the names of textures have absolutely zero to do with Wintex.

Enjay said:

I've been editing since '94, and haven't got the hang of Wintex yet. There's something about it... ...Even the newest version is outmoded and outdated if you want my opinion, which you probably don't. :-)

beezee88 said:

well, wintex it is then...
thanks all!

Heh, I guess you really didn't want my opinion then :-)

Uh, well you can use Deepsea, it's got all that stuff.

I use nwtpro, although it's STILL at beta 14, it's got great texture editing within limits. (no hi-res, max tex you can make is 256x128) Lump managemend is easier than most other progs (IMO). I'm not sure if you can find it anymore though. It's for DOS (win98'll run it tho)

I've played with wintex a bit. I like 3.4, the old one, when i got 4.3, lots of things seemed different and even more difficult to commprehend. I have actually emailed Olivier Montanuy a while back looking for assistance, as he described it, he's french, and most of the tuorials were re-written by some guy in Australia (Andrew Avery I believe)

I've figured out how to replace sprites, and even wrote a step by step tutorial for myself because i was sick of forgetting how it's done! Unfortunately it's tough to decupher because they refer to the button reffered as "NEW"... and there is no "NEW" button, just add and import. A small obstacle, until you're actually trying
to edit a sprite and that small hurdle becaomes a brick wall.

.... but i do have the sprites part down lol

beezee88 said:

Well, if you do not like Wintex, then what would you recommend as an alternative?

XWE and DeepSea are excellent alternatives to WinTex. I learned the basics of lump editing on WinTex, then discovered DeepSea and then XWE. Of the three I would say that XWE is the most intuitive and easy to learn, but it lacks documentation. DeepSea is the most versatile & powerful, has great documentation and support, but has a steep learning curve. It is also shareware, meaning that you have to pay to get the full version. (For lump management, however, the shareware version gives you all the features of the registered version.) WinTex also has a fairly steep learning curve, and is not as versatile as XWE or DeepSea.

DooMBoy said:

SCBC