Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Disorder

Icon of Sin

Maybe no one knows this, but I'll give it a shot anyway. Other than being the boss of the game, what is the role of the Icon of Sin? And how the hell did he end up on a huge wall? To put it simple, what's the backgroundstory for the Icon of Sin? If there is one..

I think I overheard (overread?) someone on IRC telling someone else that he read on a forum quoting Sandy Petersen, or maybe it was Adrian Carmack, that he's distantly related to one of the Barons of Hell in e1m8, possibly a brother to one of his great great grandfathers...

I always just assumed that this was the one and only Satan and was hard at work creating demons to overrun teh everything. I didn't read it anywhere or anything, that's just what I figured.

A name that keeps popping up is Tchernobog.
I don`t know who came up with it (id Software or just some kid who thought it sounded cool), but I believe it is also the name of the end boss in Blood 2.
There are some stories about this Tchernobog floating around the web, but I don`t think it came from a myth or legend. It`s probably a being only used in fantasy books just like orcs and goblins.

I don't know what the last guy in Blood 2 was, but Tchernobog was the last boss in Blood.

Tchernobog!? Is that some kind of monster generated by the Chernobyl disaster? Kind of like Godzilla appearing after Hiroshima was bombed?

myk said:

Tchernobog!? Is that some kind of monster generated by the Chernobyl disaster?

Yes, it rose from the radioactive ceramic bowl of the Chernobyl gent's toilets. Trap number three of the executive bathroom if you need to know the specifics. :-)

A quick google for Tchernobog turns up loads of matches.

This one looks like it might be a still from Disneys Fantasia:

http://members.tripod.com/margoschreck/gallery/tchern.htm

Although most of the sites do seem to be ones related to "Blood".

Edit: Oh yeah, and on Goblins and Orcs, the way I heard it, Tolkein originally was going to call Orcs goblins, but decided that goblins were well established fictional/mythical characters and were quite different in people's minds to how he envisaged his goblins, so he made up the name Orc instead. Apparently he considered doing something similar for Elves. The traditional view of Elves being a more pixie-like, mischievous creature living with the faeries rather than Tolkein's tall, elegant Elvish people.

Heh. I remember seeing Fantasia in the cinema once when I was a kid and (in addition to the dinosaur part... since I was a dinosaur fan when I was small) I was facinated by the part with that demon. I remember my parents saying that they didn't like that part while I thought it was great. That was possibly my first encounter with demons in any form.

Tolkien does call orcs goblins in The Hobbit, and indeed he probably did as you say, since if I'm not mistaken he's changed names of races like that at least once before. In early works one of the races of elves were called gnomes. "Orc" is probably ultimately derived from the name of a roman god of the underworld called Orcus, but I think it's been used to describe some sort of ugly monster even before Tolkien used it (maybe in medieval mythology.)

Yeah, a sea monster, that's why the killer whale's name is "orca."

Heh, those guys at that page eventually noticed a possible connection with the underworld god. And Tolkien was quite familiar with Roman mythology. Not only was he a christian philologist, but also clearly read Latin literature. Recently reading some Virgil I found many parallels in the way they describe things, and how characters act. He must have known about the etymologies himself.

Tolkien was into a whole bunch of stuff. Languages, mythology, cultural studies... They just discovered and are about to publish Tolkien's translation and commentary on Beowulf, in fact. I'm willing to bet that's gonna be a neat read.

A little birdy told me that the Icon is called Baphomet. I think it's mounted on the walls because having a monster being that big would...

1.) be impossible in vanilla doom.
2.) give the gamers of the day a major heart-attack.

Argh, that stupid rumor spreading bird!

* myk blasts the gay little the bird with a double-barreled shotgun and then squishes the remaining shreds with his left shoe heel.