Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Yandere_Doomer

Abaddon's Grasp: My First Megawad!

Recommended Posts

I finally have the opportuinity to upload my megawad now! the internet issue has been permanantly fixed, everything goes uphill from here!

My megawad is a 15 map wad with relatively short, action packed maps. I recommend using GZdoom to run this, or lzdoom.. or zdoom.. or zandronum.

now a few of the maps may be amateur, but i was either burnt out or sleepy when i made them.. haha!

Screenshot-Doom-20211012-002021.png

Screenshot-Doom-20211012-002055.png

Screenshot-Doom-20211012-002124.png

Role call!

@Clippy for his epic reviews. @Biodegradable for reviews and advice. @TheMagicMushroomMan @Lol 6  for being awesome. and for some reason i cant tag anyone else.. weird.. so ill mention Dunn and Dunn, Haruko Huruhara, Wavy, and all of my friends.

 https://www.mediafire.com/file/yoym0d1o0hfxog8/Abaddons+Grasp.wad/file

Share this post


Link to post

I played up until map 13. Map 10 and onward seem to be buggy unless it's something on my end? For example, the switch behind the spiderdemon on map 10 doesn't work.

 

As for the those 13 maps though, I absolutely adored them. Aesthetics and set pieces are super varied and keeps the levels engaging. Some of the haunted areas have some of the coolest surrealism I've seen in a WAD. I'm such a huge fan of all of it. Ammo placement feels pretty balanced too.

If I had to give any criticism, I think some of the crypt levels are a lil too reliant on shotgunners? The escape level was more difficult than I feel it needed to be.

Otherwise, keep it up! I'd love to see more!!

Share this post


Link to post

Nice, congrats on the release, I'll let you know my opinion of the wad ;)

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, Paf said:

Mind listing the format of the maps?

ah, its Zdoom in Hexen format. maybe thats why @niteliteghosts wasnt working properly..

what were you playing it on?

Share this post


Link to post
8 hours ago, niteliteghost said:

I played up until map 13. Map 10 and onward seem to be buggy unless it's something on my end? For example, the switch behind the spiderdemon on map 10 doesn't work.

 

As for the those 13 maps though, I absolutely adored them. Aesthetics and set pieces are super varied and keeps the levels engaging. Some of the haunted areas have some of the coolest surrealism I've seen in a WAD. I'm such a huge fan of all of it. Ammo placement feels pretty balanced too.

If I had to give any criticism, I think some of the crypt levels are a lil too reliant on shotgunners? The escape level was more difficult than I feel it needed to be.

Otherwise, keep it up! I'd love to see more!!

thanks a lot and thank you for playing!

i didnt have any bugs on my end, what were you playing it on?

also when i was making the crypt levels i made sure to ONLY use undead for the three levels (ie zombies, lost souls, revenants.. but i did have the baron.. but it was an undead baron, hehe)

maybe i should have thrown a few zombiemen in there...

Share this post


Link to post
3 minutes ago, RetroAkaMe said:

Ah yes, finally a good use of these stinky black squares with a white border

ive noticed they only seem to work as skyscraper windows 

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Yandere_Doomer said:

ive noticed they only seem to work as skyscraper windows 

Yeah, other uses just fraggin' suck

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

Screenshot-Doom-20211012-002021.png

Screenshot-Doom-20211012-002055.png

Screenshot-Doom-20211012-002124.png

Heh, I didn't notice the pills on the medkits

Spoiler

Until I wrote this comment

 

Share this post


Link to post

 

I've played the first 6 maps, I liked them although there are some spots where you can softlock and have to restart (I think Map 05)

Killer soundtrack though. Absolutely fantastic

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

thanks a lot and thank you for playing!

i didnt have any bugs on my end, what were you playing it on?

also when i was making the crypt levels i made sure to ONLY use undead for the three levels (ie zombies, lost souls, revenants.. but i did have the baron.. but it was an undead baron, hehe)

maybe i should have thrown a few zombiemen in there...

I was using gzdoom, maybe I’ll take a look again tonight

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

 

I've played the first 6 maps, I liked them although there are some spots where you can softlock and have to restart (I think Map 05)

Killer soundtrack though. Absolutely fantastic

i used quite a dew songs from Chainworm. and i Remastered them using a different soundfont via LMMS.

i used a few more songs from Convoluted Doom (they are at the end)

and a couple from Deponia

Share this post


Link to post

Yeah, my fps dropped while recording, my computer isn't the best. But it's weird, it's fine on my cellphone,

Share this post


Link to post
1 minute ago, Lol 6 said:

Yeah, my fps dropped while recording, my computer isn't the best. But it's weird, it's fine on my cellphone,

understood, my computer isnt great either. 

but i got upgraded from an extra starchy potato.. to a potato with moderate starch.

Share this post


Link to post

Very interesting concept megaWad. There's a lot of thought & work in this. I had a few problems with it though.

-One of the maps had closing doors when the player goes forward. Unfortunately, due to my careful exploratory method, I kept backing up before the door could shut me in a new room, preventing me from going forward. To fix this problem with such a nice trap concept, put a linedef a few clicks further that's going to trigger the shutting door even if the player backs up while running. Having a seemingly empty room in front with nice furniture & powerups is a great bait to have this work well.

-Not enough weapons, ammo & powerups overall. Maybe it's because I shoot like americans in WW2 & don't strafe enough, but there are moments where there were too many monsters for the firepower provided. Facing a cyberdemon without a BFG is always really hard. The way I see things, even with a lot of ammo, revenants can always get you if your not careful. A great philosophy to have when you want to make things hard is give a lot of ammo but keep medical items away from monsters. Survive the encounter if you want first aid kits. This would work nice with the point above.

-Cramped corridors & rooms. There are too many small rooms & cramped corridors. Claustrophobia is not as much of a problem as straffing to get away from enemy fire. I love to use 128, 192 & 256 px wide corridors. My rooms are frequently 1000px square & more. You can dodge better, but getting flanked happens a lot more. Plus, it leaves more room for decoration & landscaping. Try to use height a bit more. Monsters enjoy shooting players from above. Using 3D floors to have criss-crossing passages & rooms add to the possibilities & looks.

 

It really is a nice WAD in the end. The looks are clean & good. The mechanics are almost perfect. Darkness is put to great use. It is deadly but still winnable....plus it can be played with Brutal Doom. Keep working on it. It is worth every second of your life that you put into it...

Share this post


Link to post
10 hours ago, Naarok0fkor said:

plus it can be played with Brutal Doom. Keep working on it. It is worth every second of your life that you put into it...

Anything that uses vanilla assets can be played on Brutal Doom. 

 

For this wad... I'm gonna have to break out a weapons pack on it because its a bit on the angry side of things. I played the first map vanilla on HMP and got disgusted with the skeletons in a tight space. So i left them in the dust and  down the conveyor area where I promptly got slaughtered by Chaingunners. Its not unfair, its just a very angry mapset.

Share this post


Link to post
2 hours ago, kalensar said:

Anything that uses vanilla assets can be played on Brutal Doom. 

 

For this wad... I'm gonna have to break out a weapons pack on it because its a bit on the angry side of things. I played the first map vanilla on HMP and got disgusted with the skeletons in a tight space. So i left them in the dust and  down the conveyor area where I promptly got slaughtered by Chaingunners. Its not unfair, its just a very angry mapset.

the reason i used revenants a lot is because the map was a crypt, and skeletons fit in that theme perfectly. i liked using the chaingunners in the corridors so i can force the player to tread very carefully in that part.

and on the part where you said it was angry, i put a lot of guys in there because i got some complaints that my wads were a bit too easy, that i underestimated the average doom player. i was hoping to change that, and i think i did.

13 hours ago, Naarok0fkor said:

Very interesting concept megaWad. There's a lot of thought & work in this. I had a few problems with it though.

-One of the maps had closing doors when the player goes forward. Unfortunately, due to my careful exploratory method, I kept backing up before the door could shut me in a new room, preventing me from going forward. To fix this problem with such a nice trap concept, put a linedef a few clicks further that's going to trigger the shutting door even if the player backs up while running. Having a seemingly empty room in front with nice furniture & powerups is a great bait to have this work well.

-Not enough weapons, ammo & powerups overall. Maybe it's because I shoot like americans in WW2 & don't strafe enough, but there are moments where there were too many monsters for the firepower provided. Facing a cyberdemon without a BFG is always really hard. The way I see things, even with a lot of ammo, revenants can always get you if your not careful. A great philosophy to have when you want to make things hard is give a lot of ammo but keep medical items away from monsters. Survive the encounter if you want first aid kits. This would work nice with the point above.

-Cramped corridors & rooms. There are too many small rooms & cramped corridors. Claustrophobia is not as much of a problem as straffing to get away from enemy fire. I love to use 128, 192 & 256 px wide corridors. My rooms are frequently 1000px square & more. You can dodge better, but getting flanked happens a lot more. Plus, it leaves more room for decoration & landscaping. Try to use height a bit more. Monsters enjoy shooting players from above. Using 3D floors to have criss-crossing passages & rooms add to the possibilities & looks.

 

It really is a nice WAD in the end. The looks are clean & good. The mechanics are almost perfect. Darkness is put to great use. It is deadly but still winnable....plus it can be played with Brutal Doom. Keep working on it. It is worth every second of your life that you put into it...

thanks for the review! it took me quite a while to get the looks perfected, the sky was pissing me off because i couldnt find out how to do it (and i had limited assets and information because i had no internet when i was creating the whole thing!) 

the part where you said about the cyberdemon and the bfg.. i havent had that problem (well, maybe cause i only use the bfg when i really need it.) so thats just playstyle. 

and i should have thought about that part about the traps in map 5. people have had the same problem, i wasnt thinking that people would be trapped! hehe. maybe i should make the trap bigger so the player will most likely be squashed instead of trapped. good idea.

i suppose this wad is more suited for players that rush forward quickly rather than go slowly. i do both at times.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

the reason i used revenants a lot is because the map was a crypt, and skeletons fit in that theme perfectly. i liked using the chaingunners in the corridors so i can force the player to tread very carefully in that part.

and on the part where you said it was angry, i put a lot of guys in there because i got some complaints that my wads were a bit too easy, that i underestimated the average doom player. i was hoping to change that, and i think i did.

thanks for the review! it took me quite a while to get the looks perfected, the sky was pissing me off because i couldnt find out how to do it (and i had limited assets and information because i had no internet when i was creating the whole thing!) 

the part where you said about the cyberdemon and the bfg.. i havent had that problem (well, maybe cause i only use the bfg when i really need it.) so thats just playstyle. 

and i should have thought about that part about the traps in map 5. people have had the same problem, i wasnt thinking that people would be trapped! hehe. maybe i should make the trap bigger so the player will most likely be squashed instead of trapped. good idea.

i suppose this wad is more suited for players that rush forward quickly rather than go slowly. i do both at times.

Maybe if you have those doors close quicker behind the player it would work with turbo speed.

Share this post


Link to post
Just now, Naarok0fkor said:

Maybe if you have those doors close quicker behind the player it would work with turbo speed.

hey, thats a good idea!

Share this post


Link to post

Decent mapset. However I wasn't a fan of having to download GZDoom just to play it, but that's not really the point; I enjoyed the maps.

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, Yandere_Doomer said:

the reason i used revenants a lot is because the map was a crypt, and skeletons fit in that theme perfectly. i liked using the chaingunners in the corridors so i can force the player to tread very carefully in that part.

and on the part where you said it was angry, i put a lot of guys in there because i got some complaints that my wads were a bit too easy, that i underestimated the average doom player. i was hoping to change that, and i think i did.

 

 

I meant the whole thing was angry LOL. Not just that part. Blasting 10 imps and a pinky with nothing but a pistol in a corridor hallway right at the beginning is a really good sign that one is in for a rough ride. I wasn't even complaining either. Yes, i'm a very average ish player, but I've built monster mods that are way meaner than Brutal Doom and Project Brutality stuff. I'm used to hard. I actually make Doom way harder than it really is even though I loathe slaughter maps. 

 

You did fine on your build. <3

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Naarok0fkor said:

Have you tried it with Brutal Doom?

yeah, i love the lighting effects (especially the candles in map 3)

Share this post


Link to post
4 hours ago, kalensar said:

 

I meant the whole thing was angry LOL. Not just that part. Blasting 10 imps and a pinky with nothing but a pistol in a corridor hallway right at the beginning is a really good sign that one is in for a rough ride. I wasn't even complaining either. Yes, i'm a very average ish player, but I've built monster mods that are way meaner than Brutal Doom and Project Brutality stuff. I'm used to hard. I actually make Doom way harder than it really is even though I loathe slaughter maps. 

 

You did fine on your build. <3

i shall take that as a compliment. 

i suppose i shall call myself an angry/atmospheric mapper now. 

Share this post


Link to post

As requested ... well not really I had to quit about a third of the way in.

 

I'm sorry to say this was not my cup of tea. I found the progression random and confusing at points. There seemed to be an excessive amount of hallway hitscanner spam. I started to really get bothered in that dark map when I couldn't see anything. But the worst, least fun thing was the shaky map. When I got trapped in a map that would not stop shaking I legit got nauseous and had to throw in the towel

 

sorry bud

 

 

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×