Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomguykiller69

More open source games?

Do you know of any other open source games? minetest is one of the free and open source games that I know, doom counts as another, doesn't it?

10 minutes ago, Lol 6 said:

Wolfenstein 3D is open source too, Heretic and HeXen are too.

But outside of doom, any other open source games ?, I love being able to see the game code

https://osgameclones.com/

Granted, most of these aren't going to be fun, but if you're willing to put in some time searching you'll find some gems. "Flare" is a pretty good Diablo knockoff.

I will also recommend Daggerfall Unity every chance I get. The remade engine runs beautifully, has tons of mods, and the vanilla game is downloadable free of charge so you can easily obtain the assets.

Not sure if this counts, but the original's Diablo's source code has been recently reverse engineered and is available on Github.  David Brevik mentioned it on a live stream and said that it was quite accurate to his original code.

9 minutes ago, Aaron Blain said:

Granted, most of these aren't going to be fun, but if you're willing to put in some time searching you'll find some gems. "Flare" is a pretty good Diablo knockoff.

I will also recommend Daggerfall Unity every chance I get. The remade engine runs beautifully, has tons of mods, and the vanilla game is downloadable free of charge so you can easily obtain the assets.

Thank you! Since I played doom, open source games have caught my attention, but finding games that are still updated is difficult!

10 minutes ago, Robo_Cola said:

Not sure if this counts, but the original's Diablo's source code has been recently reverse engineered and is available on Github.  David Brevik mentioned it on a live stream and said that it was quite accurate to his original code.

Reverse engineering also catches my attention thank you friend!

A lot of FPS games from the same era are open source, aren't they? The source codes for all of id's early shooters, Heretic, Hexen, Duke Nukem 3D, Shadow Warrior and Return to Castle Wolfenstein were all eventually released, plus some more obscure ones.

Here's a few:

• Taisei Project - FOSS Touhou fangame
  • SuperTux - Mario-styled platformer starring the Linux mascot: Tux!
  • Metaforce - A reimplementation of Retro Studios' internal engine for the Wii/Gamecube, used for games such as Metroid Prime and Donkey Kong Country Returns.

5 hours ago, Aaron Blain said:

Not to mention TES1: Arena is getting a similar treatment:

https://github.com/afritz1/OpenTESArena

Not ready for playing yet, but looks cool.

16 hours ago, doomguykiller69 said:

Do you know of any other open source games? minetest is one of the free and open source games that I know, doom counts as another, doesn't it?

Minetest is a free clone of Minecraft.

The Doom engine is free but not the Doom, Heretic or Hexen IWADs. Thus, Doom is not really open source.

Debian has a special categories for such games.

If it is non-free, it’s in non-free.

It it is free but depends on non-free packages, it’s in contrib.

For example, doom-wad-shareware is in non-free, dhewm3-doom3 is in contrib (it’s free but the Doom³ data are not free) and prboom-plus is in now main because of Freedoom (prboom-plus was in contrib when Freedoom did not exist).

As far as I know, there is no equivalent of Freedoom for Doom³ or for Wolfenstein3D (WolfenDoom does not count, it’s for Doom).

CDogs. It started as a DOS top-down shooter but there's a SDL version now.
The game seems to have a quite active community, with tons of levels and reskins available for download.

1 hour ago, Noiser said:

The game seems to have a quite active community, with tons of levels and reskins available for download.

And it can even run Wolfenstien 3D maps!

If you like Hex based strategy, Wesnoth is a great open source game that's been around for at least 2 decades. There's tons of old roguelikes that are open source, including Nethack and Angband etc.

And if you want to back in time beyond doom, beyond angband and moria.. One of the earliest video games is the terminal super star trek, and it is ported and maintained by one of the key figures of Open Source, Eric S. Raymond, here.

Edited by MrDowntempo

17 hours ago, Noiser said:

SO COOL!

It seems to me that many old classics could be recreated in CDogs... like ik+, alien breed series, chaos engine 1 & 2, blue max, super cars??, ghosts n goblins??, ... and many more

Super Tux Kart

But i never played it

OpenRA

CnC Red Alert as Open Source

Stranded 1 and 2

Not sure if Open Source, but it blew my Mind back than that such a 3D Game is Free.

With it Gathering and Build Mechanics i thought firstly that Minecraft is a Clone of Stranded :P

Edit:

Renegade X

Also not sure if Open Source, Fan Remake of CnC Renegade

Freeciv

Civilization 2 Clone, pretty good.

Also playable through the Browser.

Oh and there was this RPG in the Quake Engine.

Will edit it in when i find it on ModDB

Edit:

Dawn of Darkness

Here it is, RPG in Quake 2 Engine.

Haven't played it yet, only installed and started to look if it works :)

Edited by Azuris