Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Big M

New method of cheating

Hello, I hate to bother you all on this fine evening but I came to warn you and the other speed run communities that there is a new method of cheating in speedrunning where a person is live-streaming a speed run that person can now swap to a TAS or a good part of a segment of a practice run that they had prepared earlier in the middle of the run while on the viewer side of things the screen will buffer a bit and the audio will cut out for a moment then they can make the switch to a Tas while everything buffering on the viewer's side once the deed is done.             How does the cheater do this he uses a rooted phone or tablet with the apps called Wifi Kill or Net Cut he can control the wifi like a dam controls water. This is going to be difficult to detect with Audacity Spectrogram or other programs like Audacity  . What makes this method superb is the fact that this method takes away one of the methods use to detect cheated runs also he use social engineering and other methods make his cheated more runs believable  Screenshot_20211009-235003.png.4740eba0d4ee9e4b1f6bbdfa5fe68c25.png

No offense but it looks like a bot posted this message given it repeats several times, not to mention this specifically mentions Zelda/Mario/Minecraft runs. The only people who would generally be recording their runs rather than demo'ing them would be GZDoom players, most other people do proper LMP files for Doom which are verified from tics, not video, and desyncs will ordinarily disqualify them. So.... really this is a non-issue on this side of the speedrunning community.

This isn't really relevant to Doom. Even with livestreams, Doom speedruns require a demo to be validated. As TAS tools and their unique characteristics are well known, they don't get far.

1 hour ago, Major Arlene said:

The only people who would generally be recording their runs rather than demo'ing them would be GZDoom players, most other people do proper LMP files for Doom which are verified from tics, not video, and desyncs will ordinarily disqualify them.

Actually, we do accept GZD runs, but we still require the demos, even if they're likely to desync with the next dot version. Combined with streaming the attempts it creates a decent layer of safety against these generic methods of cheating common in video-only speedruns of console games.

Anyway, that message reads like a kid pretending to be a big menacing adult. We in the Doom community don't even bother with the audio analysis, since it's not how you'd stitch a lmp demo in the first place, but from what I know, being very sure about your clean, undetectable video footage stitches is, uh, famous last words.

Isn't this an old way to cheat? Playing back a video or something and pretend you're playing by yourself seems like something people would do a few years ago, of course, maybe now as well.

I wanna say it's kinda like cheating in the old way but with a twist..? Tbh I don't know how to classify this method because it uses Wifi Kill or Net Cut which is 3rd party app and it can be used in

combination slicing or Tas.🤔