Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalensar

Kals Free Sleek Doom (GZD/LZD/Zandro/Zdoom2.8)

Demo Video for the lazy. Only 5:30 minutes long

Changelog--

11/16/21--- Updated so that it now works on Zandronum and Zdoom 2.8

10/14/21---

1. Removed Burning Barrel decoration because it was rendering funny.
2. Fixed Spectre so he now has the correct animation death and attack speed.

So this is my Free Sleek Doom. This is brings a lot of Vanilla style fun with some classic but alternate looks.

So what we have here is a Decorate smoothing of animations across the board of explosions, monsters, and weapons while keeping the crucial timings intact. Included is a full Freedoom Texture rip that was converted over to True Color png so it has the highest quality without altering the original flats and sprites in any other way. All the enemies and weapons are vanilla Doom while all the textures, skyboxes and decorations( except barrels and torches) are from Freedoom. Included is also a GLDEFS so that Dynamic Lights can be used as well.

I kept the timings on the guns to their vanilla speeds, calculated by stopwatch and frame counts.

--The SSG seems faster but its timing is 46 frames which is the same as it's vanilla refire speed. (techincally it is 45.5 so I rounded up.)
--Shotgun is the same, exact match to the vanilla speed despite its altered animation. same for pistol.
--The only difference on the Chaingun is its Gunflash speed which is faster.
--The biggest change is the BFGBall was sped up on both of it's hits just to look smoother. I tested it on the Cyberdemon multple times and it will not 2 shot him every time due to the damage RNG.

Enemy Attack animations have been smoothed and also reorganized to be a bit more sneaky, but all are at the timing of their vanilla speeds.Yes, even the Cacodemon has a different attack animation order that looks smoother.

Enemy Death animations have been sped up to flow in a smoother fashion on everything except the Cyberdemon and SpiderMom. The Mancubus death animation is really cool. I describe it as melting.

Enemy Walk animations have been reordered to appear smoother or just plain different on all the bipeds except Cyber. Spiders and SpiderMom still walk the same. Their actual move speeds are still at vanilla values, but they take faster steps which look more accurate to their step distance.

This mod also works with Plutonia, TNT Evilution, Doom 1, and any map wad that relies on vanilla assets such as Foursite.

Credits go to Freedoom Project for every texture and art.

everything else was done by me, Kalensar:

Converted Freedoom Textures and Decorations to True Color PNG, GLDEFS with SLADE.

Decorate by Kalensar with help of Zdoom Wiki.

Last but not least. This entire mod is open source so everything is up for grabs. Just credit me if you want to, but for sure credit Freedoom Project.

Download here. only 7.3 mb in size! Works on GZDoom and LZDoom
https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/downloads/kals-free-sleek-doom

Edited by kalensar : update to new version

This seems nice, but it's hard to tell the improvements in the preview just because of the quality and framerate of the video itself. I think it deserves more attention though, so you will recieve from me the following gifts:

(1) Supercharge

(1) Free bump

(1) Request for someone around here to kindly record a smooth video of the mod in action

Anyway, mods like this are always a good thing!

Just now, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

This seems nice, but it's hard to tell the improvements in the preview just because of the quality and framerate of the video itself. I think it deserves more attention though, so you will recieve from me the following gifts:

(1) Supercharge

(1) Free bump

(1) Request for someone around here to kindly record a smooth video of the mod in action

Anyway, mods like this are always a good thing!

I thought it was clear enough But i can easily record another one! Its only 7.7mb in size so its not size intensive at all.

Uploaded new demo video. Its running on TrueColor Software. The graphic quality is low but the frame rate is better. It goes from map01, to map07, map08, map16, map13, and map30 in that order in the 5 minutes of video. The only monsters it doesnt show getting killed are Cyber, Pain, Lost souls and spidermom. Dynamic lights are also in action.

On 12/31/2021 at 9:03 AM, Omxgamer127 said:

It's work on GZDOOM/LZDOOM?

YES!!! The update was intended to mean that it works on the Main line ZDoom family minus Eternity Engine. The orginal version was built on GZDoom.