Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ChestedArmor

Most/Least used Monsters?

Which Monsters in your opinion are just the most/least?  

93 members have voted

1. 1. Your vote goes for the most used (in your opinion)

• Arachnatron
    • Arch-vile
    • Baron of Hell
    • Cacodemon
    • Evil Spider Mastermind
    • Chaingunner
    • Cyberdemon
    • Pinky
    • Hellknight
    • Imp
    • Lost Soul
    • Manncubus
    • Spectre
    • Pain Elemental
    • Revenenant
    • Zombieman
    • Shotgunner

Which Monsters in your opinion are just the most?

(In terms of quantity per level and in how many level they even appear)

Consider that I excluded entities like Romero's head, Commander Keen or the SS Officers,

1. They don't really count

2. I couldn't fit them into the maximum pole size.

Edited by ChestedArmor

Pick some random WADS and look them up on the wiki. It will give you the total number of individual enemies for each map. Keep track and add them up, it should give you a pretty good idea.

I find that Arachnotrons are depressingly underutilized in a lot of modern maps. And when they are used, they tend to take the role of a sniper perched on a cliff as far as I can tell. But then again, Arachnotrons do have pretty big hitboxes, meaning that they require a decent amount of space to move. From that perspective, I can understand mappers not being big fans of them.

Now Revenants, on the other hand...

A fact: In Plutonia 2, the later maps always have 1 Cyberdemon if you're playing on UV. Whenever you pick an item or a key, always remember that there's 1 Cyberdemon waiting

1 hour ago, MFG38 said:

I find that Arachnotrons are depressingly underutilized in a lot of modern maps. And when they are used, they tend to take the role of a sniper perched on a cliff as far as I can tell. But then again, Arachnotrons do have pretty big hitboxes, meaning that they require a decent amount of space to move. From that perspective, I can understand mappers not being big fans of them.

Now Revenants, on the other hand...

Yeah this is why I hardly use Arachnotrons. I think it's also a factor why the Mastermind is used a lot less than the Cyberdemon too.

Least used overall probably goes to singular lost souls - They're annoying to deal with, and usually pain elementals are favoured in their place.

I actually feel like the singular lost soul is an underutilized enemy in maps, because while they can indeed by superseded by the pain elemental, there’s also a place for just having a scattering of lost souls or a good old fashioned swarm in a closet like in og Doom. Plus the fact that they have no activation sound makes them useful in some kinds of ambushes and such.

The former human is kind of underutilized too, I think they often end up being seen as too flimsy and weak to even be worth using and are kind of a throwaway enemy to pad out early maps in a megawad, but in the right circumstances and numbers they have their place. I’ve said it before but it’s kinda satisfying to put in a butt ton of them and then cut through them with the chainsaw or shotguns.

I like the spider types as enemies and like making maps where they’ll have space to exist in at least one part of it. The enormous amount of floor space they occupy (especially the Mastermind) definitely make them harder to use anywhere, but they make devastating turrets and formidable foes in open-area combat.

As for most used, I’m inclined to say the revenant, because whether or not it actually has the highest count (and, in Plutonia, I think it might), they can be used in almost any way on almost any level of map and therefore are almost inescapable and hard not to use.

Most Used enemies in wads I've played seem to be Imps, Revenants and Hell Knights

while the least used enemies in wads I've played seem to be Lost Souls (that are not spawned by Pain Elementals), Spidermasterminds and Wolfenstein SS

Imps definitely get the limelight a lot. Second place would go to those pesky boners. Most underused? MFG38 put it best in his post regarding Arachnotrons.

Imps are without doubt the most used enemy in classic maps, while in "challenge wads" they may be rivalled by Revvies. I've read somewhere that the least used monster was the SMM. I agree that the Wolfenstein SS is some kind of special/gimmick enemy, in most WADs it is used even less.

A variant of this game:

Which monster is responsible for most/less HP in mapsets?

This way, bosses and mid/hightiers aren't discriminated so much :)

I'm pretty sure that the answer would be close to a tie between hellknights, revenants (which are used more than HKs but have less HP) and cacos. And the zombieman (former human) may be clearly the "loser", has low HP and isn't really used that much.

Most used would be Former Humans cause it's absolutely hilarious to watch someone fight 500 FH's for sh**s and giggles.

Least used is the Mastermind since she's waaaay to big to fit in most maps. (I think in the entire time I've used DB2 and its variations I've used like what? 10 of them?)

I would go for revenant, because you can't go wrong with revenants. I like, generally, mid-tier monsters, especially those who were added in Doom 2.

Least used for all would probably be the mastermind, who is almost impossible to use well.

The spider mastermind is so sad.

Both in the iwads and in pwads the mastermind fails.

As a boss in Doom 1, it is too stupid and easy to beat.
As a uncommon enemy in Doom 2 its just used as a gimmick.
And as a enemy to use in maps, the chaingunner is a better use for a hitscanner and the cyberdemon is a better boss.

The best use of a spider mastermind  I have seen is in Going Down's map 29, as its used in a arena that makes its strengths usefull, granted thats a dehacked modified enemy but still.

On 10/16/2021 at 11:44 AM, Stupid Bunny said:

The former human is kind of underutilized too, I think they often end up being seen as too flimsy and weak to even be worth using and are kind of a throwaway enemy to pad out early maps in a megawad, but in the right circumstances and numbers they have their place. I’ve said it before but it’s kinda satisfying to put in a butt ton of them and then cut through them with the chainsaw or shotguns.

I was immediately reminded of a few humiliating deaths in Map05 of Eviternity where I spent a while taking down the more powerful monsters only to be killed by sniping Zombiemen.

I reckon imps are the most used overall, both in the original IWADs and in custom maps.  I especially felt this way when playing Doom 3, but I think it's true to a lesser extent in Doom 1 and 2 also.

the mommy spider is definitively the most underused, usually serving more as a pathetic infight machine that gets locked and killed by three imps/pinkies or an end of level tanky piñata.

I think the SMM was used well in Struggle map 11.

Two of them were overlooking large parts of an open area map, so you never felt safe.

In Deathless Spider mommas were also put to good use, but it had to do with there being two of them.

Doom 1’s SMM is a pushover, unless you do pistol start. It’s not exactly epic boss fight that way, but at least there is some challenge.