Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Koko Ricky

Help me test my new map! (Doom 2, limit removing)

https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/downloads/uac-m6-demo-for-doom-2

Demo for the sixth in my series recreating "Knee Deep in the Dead" as standalone maps for Doom 2. This one is based on E1M6, Central Processing. It has many of the original map's iconic spaces reinterpreted by my personal vision. This is a limit-removing map, but if you want to hear the custom music, use a source port that has .mp3 support. Would love any comments or suggestions to improve it before release!

uacm6_preview.jpg

*upping this thread to get people's attention*
Looks very cool from the screenshots! Unfortunately I don't have enough time to play it, but it's on my list.

I played on UV with dsda-doom, here are my thoughts while playing this huuuuge map.

My stomach turned as I saw the 7MB big file, but to my surprise I had a blast with this one! A full hour blast! I'd like to imagine this map as how it felt playing the vanilla E1M6 back in 93', big open areas with monsters filling over the halls and traps waiting to be sprung by you. Of course that is a bit overexggerated as this map isn't evil, for the most part. This map gives you a lot of health and ammo without making the map too easy nor does it make it unnecessarily hard (though this map provides two Invulns for your pleasure), just like Knee deep in the Dead! However is stingy with rad suits. Which is not good as this map is filled to the brim with slime like it's Nickelodeon in the 90', and most slime pits are 10 dmg floor! To make matters a bit worse the lifts blend in too well into the theme, but that is a problem so minuscule that disappears once you get the hang of it.

Like you wrote in the description, you've changed the entire E1M6 map with some amusing setpieces. One can be found as soon as you start the level, you start in a tram. Only thing missing is a voice welcoming you to the UAC facilty and wishing you a safe day (:D). You've used most of the techbase vanilla textures but also used some custom ones to set the setting like it's actually on Phobos and not on earth in a dubious bootcamp. You even changed the skybox which can't be really seen the facility unless you find the secret that leads you outside but I like how much effort and love you've put into this map! The detailing, the lighting and most of the combat! I also like the music! Good stuff in general.

Though there are also aspects I do not like and nice bugs in this map I found during my playthrough.

I've seen some slimetrails here and there but that isn't your fault, but what is your fault are the rooms with the sneakly hidden enemies when you interact with computer panels (where the slime labyrinth is in vanilla). You first have to find them, which is totally possible to miss. And then you spend the next ten minutes chipping health away from Hell Knights and Mancubi and later even an Arch-vile with a sad shotgun. Unless you find the Rocket Launcher which I thought was the suspicious kind that summons 500 Imps, and then wasn't. By I was having a blast I meant looking at all those details which I adore! Anyways there is one secret in the room with the coolant chamber with one Baron, four Lost Souls and two Chaingunner I just couldn't open up for some reason. I don't know if you need a switch, a linedef or a Commander Keen to open it but it contained a Mancubus and a Caco that were having a fun time in there (Please don't think about this any further). Did somebody forget to untick one difficulty setting from an enemy? There is one Spectre in the dim lit poison room with the Step4 middle texture magic bridge that is stuck in a wall and cannot move anywhere, making him the most inconvienent Spectre I had to kill after one whole hour. Ever. And did you really think it was needed for me to eat an inviso when two boney boies await me? That's cheap. Speaking about Invisos, is also really needed for one secret to have a Pinky to get an inviso? Why so hidden? Same for the SSG, why is it so hidden when you have to fight Archies and Fatsos??

I'm being a bit too nitpicky, but I think I have pointed most aspects out that were an eyelash in my eye.

All in all, a great map I can only recommend to play! I'm keen to see what the finished project will look and play like, as this map scratches the itch that modern maps can't scratch. For me at least!

This map gets 4.9 out of 5 Gatekeeping Arch-Viles. Play it or else.

Have a nice day.

Thanks so much for the feedback. I think those are all excellent points, especially about the SSG and some of the powerups being a bit hidden. The "coolant chamber" area can be accessed with a switch if you look around the the western (mid left) section of that room. I tried to make it as obvious as I could, did you find it? If not I could make it more blatant. The vegetation area with the computer panels is not very obvious, I agree. I think I'll change them to have obvious switches for lowering the vegetation chambers. Then there's a few other miscellaneous errors you mentioned, like the stuck enemies. Great reporting!

13 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

The "coolant chamber" area can be accessed with a switch if you look around the the western (mid left) section of that room

Yes, behind the switch is a room I couldn't open for some reason. That is also the room with the frisky Caco and Mancubus. I think I wrote that a bit too  messy so that one is on me.

Nice level, the exit is a bit annoying to combat the archfiend at the end because of the height. But overall good one.

8 hours ago, thiccyosh said:

Yes, behind the switch is a room I couldn't open for some reason. That is also the room with the frisky Caco and Mancubus. I think I wrote that a bit too  messy so that one is on me.

Try the use button on the fire blue pillar in the chamber. Is it too subtle?

2 hours ago, Koko Ricky said:

Is it too subtle?

I couldn't find the secret, and I'm ok at it when it comes to snooping around for secrets. So that is a yes in my books.

Question: Can anyone identify why, on Crispy Doom, the animated sewer drain texture looks goofed up? (Check out the blue door area with the slime pits as a glaring example.) I used Doom Builder's merging function to add the Doom 1 textures for Doom 2 resource, and as a result it animates fine on ZDoom and GZDoom, but on Crispy Doom there are some odd pixels that resemble a glitched brightmap. I suspect an old texture or two got overwritten and its brightmap(s) remained.

Bumping this thread as I'm getting ready to release this map and it'd be lovely to have this Crispy Doom issue fixed.