Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
A Nobody

What Does id Software Think Of The Unreal/Unreal Tournament Series?

1 hour ago, Gez said:

You should ask them.

But to give you an element of answer, there's an Easter-eggish reference to the Liandri corporation in Doom Eternal.

I'm surprised there wasn't any mention of GoldenEye 64 or Turok. But we get something from Markiplier...? Why?

2 hours ago, The Strife Commando said:

So, what did they think of the glorious Unreal series?

Well, they clearly sought to rival Unreal Tournament with Quake III, so at the very least they must have looked up to it to an extent.

In the late 1990s id Software and Epic had some rivalry going on. I remember when Quake 2 was released and had a bald male marine and a female marine with ponytail as player models, Epic accused them of stealing this idea because Unreal also had a bald guy and a girl with ponytail as player models.

Edited by Tetzlaff

14 minutes ago, Tetzlaff said:

In the late 1990s id Software and Epic had some rivalry going on. I remember when Quake 2 was released and had a bald male marine and a female marine with ponytail as player models, Epic accused them of stealing this idea because Unreal also had a bald guy and a girl with ponytail as player models. 

So ID took some Flak for using those models? :D

Considering what Carmack had to say about the Build engine I can only imagine what his thoughts would have been on UE1 at the time.

I found that original ponytails story. It's amazing that the Bluesnews archives are still online!

It's july 1997. Quake II will be released in december, Unreal in may 1998.

Myscha the Sled Dog of Epic Megagames writes:

Back in the days of Doom 1 and Doom2 I always imagine the creators these incredible games as creative ground-breaking game designers.
Over the past few months, I have noticed a lack of individual and company based creativity.

I base this worrysome conjecture on the recent announcements that:

QUAKE 2 will have

1. A female player--Like UNREAL
2. A ponytail on the female player-LIKE UNREAL
3. A male Player-Like UNREAL
4. (of course their male player is bald too)
5. Game takes place after crashing your starship.

It's a good thing they are using hollow metal headed enemies, that way our Artificially Intelligent Organic monsters and enemies will at least appear not as blatantly RIPPED_OFF...

Please ID software do something we didn't do or model 12 months ago. :)

No offense-but these coincidences ruined my nap.

American McGee's answer:

Uh, ok. These are the MOST moronic things I have ever seen anyone accuse us of stealing from their game design. I guess that in order to keep from stepping on this guys toes we should portray the character as a male cross-dresser, or a eunuch? Are those original enough for you?

We stole the ponytail? And baldness? Haha. Damn you Captain Picard! You bald bastard. You're stealing ideas from Epic... how dare you! I think the guys at Epic should start suing everyone that puts a bald character into their work from now on... I mean, jeeze... they came up with this great idea... bald guys. They should trademark it and make all bald people stamp EpicBald(tm) on their heads.

btw: we came up with this great idea for the chick... she's going to have tits. Don't steal that from us guys. We thought of it first.

>5. Game takes place after crashing your starship.

Oh My God. You guys thought of this too?! I mean, I thought that we were stealing this from the countless other people who have done it before you were even BORN. Is it just me or have people been crashing starships and encountering problems on alien worlds since before Captain James T. Kirk was in diapers or what?

Next thing you know Epic will accuse us of stealing the idea of putting arms and legs on our players. Everyone will have to start using a very hairy, quadrapalegic, wheelchair driving, crossdressing, non-starship crashing, eunuch as the main character in their game. Damn.

https://www.bluesnews.com/archives/july97-3.html

21 hours ago, Tetzlaff said:

Reading the actual text though methinks the epic guy was probably taking the piss. American's reply was pretty funny though.

12 hours ago, Murdoch said:

American's reply was pretty funny though.

Eh, I do not know. It relies heavily on problematic language that I would argue has not aged well at all. :S

Also, incidentally, I would not say no to more games starring a wheelchair-driving protagonist: what Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus did in its opening level was pretty clever, actually, and at the very least it would help justify your other unstoppable character finding themselves inexplicably unable to climb over a small fence or another implausible obstacle standing in their way.

On 10/18/2021 at 2:57 PM, Master O said:

So ID took some Flak for using those models? :D

They eventually Redeemed themselves when they said they didn't Ripper.

To Epic this was an end to the Shock Riflery.

13 hours ago, Marisa Kirisame said:

This thread has become positively puntastic, I like that.

Girls just want to have puns?

On 10/20/2021 at 5:53 PM, Marisa Kirisame said:

This thread has become positively puntastic, I like that.

Actually, it's already amazingly alliterative, as well.

3 hours ago, D4NUK1 said:

idSoftware and Epic, they're just like two facing worlds in thoses times.

It's like a Cursed Duel.