Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lisiczka

Null-Canceling Movement?

I've tested out a few source ports (DSDA, PrBoom, Crispy, GZDoom) and noticed that none of the ports ever implemented null-canceling movements. What I mean is when you happen to press both strafing buttons, they don't cancel out each other but keep the movement in the direction you pressed the latter. In short, when you press A and move to left, and press D at the same time, you move to the right instead of stopping all together. Hopefully, I've explained the concept clearly enough.

I couldn't find any relevant discussion to this, and wondering what everyone think about it, if anyone needs this, and if anyone interested in implementing it all.

33 minutes ago, lisiczka said:

when you press A and move to left, and press D at the same time, you move to the right instead of stopping all together.

That's how it works most of the time. It seems that you pressed two buttons during the same tic, which is not hard, it's only 35 tics per second. The ports you've tried are actually very concerned with keeping the classic movement and "feel" of the game. You can try Doom Legacy or Doomsday (I'm very conservative myself, so not sure).

4 hours ago, Gibbon said:

Why wouldn't you just strafe one way or the other?

I do, most of the time.

4 hours ago, rfomin said:

That's how it works most of the time. It seems that you pressed two buttons during the same tic, which is not hard, it's only 35 tics per second. The ports you've tried are actually very concerned with keeping the classic movement and "feel" of the game. You can try Doom Legacy or Doomsday (I'm very conservative myself, so not sure).

Definitely not during the same tick. To clarify because of poor wording on my side:

when you press A and move to left, and press D at the same time while still holding A, you move to the right instead of stopping all together.

I just tested simultaneous left and right strafing in Chocolate, Crispy, Woof and PrBoom+. In all cases the opposite strafes canceled each other, resulting in zero strafing.

I suspect that this behavior might be keyboard-dependent. Perhaps some designs don't allow for simultaneous A and D presses and instead one has priority over the other. In your case it's the D key.

7 hours ago, mikeday said:

I just tested simultaneous left and right strafing in Chocolate, Crispy, Woof and PrBoom+. In all cases the opposite strafes canceled each other, resulting in zero strafing.

I suspect that this behavior might be keyboard-dependent. Perhaps some designs don't allow for simultaneous A and D presses and instead one has priority over the other. In your case it's the D key.

It is probably inherited from SDL2

Edit: Nope, Boom had it also apparently as my g_game.c is pretty much from Boom 2.02 on ReBOOM.  Happens there too.

Edited by Gibbon

1 hour ago, Graf Zahl said:

I tried such a thing in the early 2000's. It played like shit so it got canned very quickly.

Agreed, I don't like it so I'll probably remove this.  Left or right.

and i came here thinking that we'll talk about NULLs in programming languages, and about getting rid of that misfeature…

On 10/19/2021 at 2:52 AM, ketmar said:

and i came here thinking that we'll talk about NULLs in programming languages, and about getting rid of that misfeature…

Or about fighting games. Thought this thread was about to go full Daigo.

On 10/19/2021 at 8:52 AM, ketmar said:

You can get rid of it.  Use 0 instead XD

On 10/22/2021 at 7:32 AM, Gibbon said:

You can get rid of it.  Use 0 instead XD

doesn't work with SQL… :-(

i know im quite a bit late to this topic, however i'd like to say that i think this is a very good idea. i play a multiplayer game called "team fortress 2" quite a bit, and the players there noticed that when they want to change directions they tend to press 2 opposing movement keys together or not press any movement keys for a short moment, meaning in both cases the player isnt changing directions as fast as they possibly can, meaning you are at a disadvantage. in team fortress 2 there's a script almost everyone uses that does this, and it really helps movement on the faster characters, or when you need to quickly switch directions midair. i think this could be applied to doom as well, since i find myself lifting both a and d off the keyboard before switching directions when i move. i'd LOVE to see this as an option in sourceports as its one of my favorite things in team fortress 2 that just cant be done in any other game.