Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nights

Windows Vista

Another thing that got Vista its undeserved reputation was how slow it was. That was actually the result of Microsoft putting a lot of faith in the public where "minimum requirements" are concerned, as well as that time being the Peak Bloatware Era of computing history.

Fact is - Vista would run just fine with 1GB of RAM and a Pentium 4 / Athlon 64 or better and it took no more tweaking than most people do with a fresh install.

i have quite a bit of Bloatware on my pc..

so that is why i am Sponsoring Smart gamebooster!! (not really)

but seriously, smart game booster saved my sanity.

I had a lot of crashes and weird settings that mess up with random programs. That along with the constant pop ups got old fast. Wouldn't say it was worse than normal windows 8 because that thing had similar issues, maybe with less crashes but a lot of super annoying features ( fuck the power settings menu, stop trying to turn off my monitor even when disabled ).

Reminder that Crysis 1 released 1 year later in the same month Windows Vista got RTM'd and that game's known for spawning the "Can it run Crysis?" meme due to its high system requirements as well as also being one of the first engines to use D3D10.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:32 AM, Apprentice said:

Try Windows Millennium Edition and then come back here . . .  8)

Honestly, as your own words might put it, "not by a long shot" -- hell I'd honestly even consider 98 (both editions) to be a worse experience than Me ever actually is.

If we consider service pack levels as OSes on their own, as Microsoft often does, XP RTM and Vista RTM were both a lot more unstable and unreliable. The SP1s of both systems improved them significantly. Considering Microsoft OSes alone, MS-DOS 4.0 was probably the actual worse with far reduced software compatibility than the very popular MS-DOS 3.3; 5.0 was a pretty big step up and fixed basically everything wrong with 4.0.

Veering away from just Microsoft, classic Mac OS is not all that great either, it crashes at the drop of a hat, moreso than any Win9x release ever did. Then we get all kinds of weird shit. Tru64, Lindows, all that VxWorks based router OSes.... plenty of them are worse than anything MS ever produced.

6 hours ago, Summer Deep said:

Yep, the main issue with Windows 8 seems to have been the default desktop interface with all those tiles, or whatever they're called. Install Classic Shell to create a proper start menu, and it's problemo soluto, or at least it is if you're using Windows 8.1

I've used Win 8.1 as the preferred OS on my desktop and my main laptop since 2014, and it's by far the best ever version of Windows in my view, and streets ahead of Windows 10 in terms of reliability, straightforwardness and general capability. I'll be very sorry when Microsoft withdraws support in early 2023. Might then use Windows 10 for a year or two, but almost certainly won't adopt Win 11.

At its core, Windows 8 is a pretty stable OS but its major flaw was the desktop interface. It was too much aimed and targeted for tablets, for which it would've worked flawlessly. For a traditional desktop/laptop environment, it just didn't work. That's also one of Microsoft's mistake: they didn't venture into the tablet market with Windows 8 . . .

As a totally unrelated side note, not entirely on the subject:

For years, I though this was Weird Al Yankovic . . .

7 hours ago, Apprentice said:

At its core, Windows 8 is a pretty stable OS but its major flaw was the desktop interface.

At their core, Windows 8, 10, 11 are all basically Windows Vista with a facelift. Most of the OS hasn't changed that much. Windows 7 didn't even do the facelift part, just rename it when the reputation didn't go away after SP1 fixed the problems.

7 hours ago, Apprentice said:

That's also one of Microsoft's mistake: they didn't venture into the tablet market with Windows 8 . . .

They tried, the Surface was just a tablet line in its earliest iterations.

8 hours ago, princetontiger said:

I remember when Windows XP came out and everyone hated it. By 2006, people loved it.

Windows Vista wasn't as bad as people say it was.

agreed 100%

my dad uses windows vista on his old computer all the time and there aren't as many problems as people say there are. works perfectly fine for him

8 hours ago, princetontiger said:

I remember when Windows XP came out and everyone hated it. By 2006, people loved it.

Small world. Nobody liked Windows 95 when it first came out, either.

On 10/22/2021 at 8:17 PM, chungy said:

Veering away from just Microsoft, classic Mac OS is not all that great either

Oh God. I hate all iterations of mac os but the classic ones were the worst. Clunky and ugly. Loved the colour scheme choices of dull grey or garish ugly colours and dull grey.

MacOS 6 was top tier, 7 started to get bloated, 8 and 9 were the dark times.

OSX is slowly getting up to snuff. 10.11 was where it started to improve.

38 minutes ago, Bucket said:

Apple: Playing catch up

Microsoft: RANDOM BULLSHIT, GO!!!

1 hour ago, Bucket said:

Os x is a big improvement but i still find aspects of how it functions irritating. 

I didn't find 8 that bad it's just the lack of a start button which was the real issue for me.

5 hours ago, Avoozl said:

I didn't find 8 that bad it's just the lack of a start button which was the real issue for me.

The lack of the start button in Win8 was the dumbest decision that MS ever made. (Then again, they made a lot of shitty choices in their OSes.)

Thankfully, Classic Shell (which would later be revived as Open Shell) or Start8 remedied that problem.

11 hours ago, HavoX said:

The lack of the start button in Win8 was the dumbest decision that MS ever made. (Then again, they made a lot of shitty choices in their OSes.)

Thankfully, Classic Shell (which would later be revived as Open Shell) or Start8 remedied that problem.

Yeah. When 8 was a thing, no matter what a customer bought a computer to me for i would offer to install classic shell. I think i was turned down maybe six times total. Everyone else was like "dear Jesus do it!"