Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Rayziik

Judgment: Retrial - 34 Map MBF21 Megawad (RC3 - 1/31/2024)

*music comments*

I didn't realize there was such universal disdain for the iwad music. I'll start searching for suitable replacements.

5 hours ago, TheCyberDruid said:

Map 7 crashed for me on GZDoom 4.7.1 a few seconds after picking up the yellow key twice. The second time I saved right after I picked up the key and before it crashed and loading that save allowed me to continue. Just thought I report that here. Well made maps so far.

I have no clue why this is happening, 4.7.0 runs fine, I recommend using it instead if you continue having issues.

On 10/23/2021 at 9:34 PM, Rayziik said:

I didn't realize there was such universal disdain for the iwad music. I'll start searching for suitable replacements.

For what it's worth I support your decision to use iwad music for the levels.

5 minutes ago, Andromeda said:

For what it's worth I support your decision to use iwad music for the levels.

IWad music is fine, but in Judgment's case 90% of the OST is made up of stock MIDIs.
Adding some custom tracks into the mix could surely help to reinforce the wad's identity.

Congrats on the release, enjoying this megawad so far. I need to create another wad this fall/winter time. When I see projects like this, it gets me excited to create more maps.

After a couple long nights and some silly mistakes, Release Candidate 2 is now available!

Check OP for the latest version! (11/1/2021)

In addition to bug fixes and balance changes, I spent my time listening to some of the wonderful MIDI music by various authors in the community, and hopefully picked out some tracks that compliment the maps nicely.

If you come across any bugs, issues, have any balance concerns, or even something as mundane as a glaring texture misalignment, please post a reply or send me a message on DW or Discord if you can. I greatly appreciate any reports, I want this project to work as well as possible before a final release is made.

Edited by Rayziik : RC2 no longer available

is this the same wad i tested maps for years ago?  i was hoping you'd post a finished work and i'm glad that i was shown this.  look forward to playing soon :DD

3 hours ago, loveless said:

is this the same wad i tested maps for years ago?  i was hoping you'd post a finished work and i'm glad that i was shown this.  look forward to playing soon :DD

It is indeed the same. I don't recall how many of the maps you got a chance to play, but I think you did MAP12 and MAP26 for sure.

For a quick breather from the other project im testing Ill start. Going for 100/100/100 stats in all maps in skill 2-4, what is the target audience? How easy should skill 2 be? Ill be checking how each skill compares to the next one. I tend to think skill 4 has already been widely tested and gameplay was designed on, so I use that as the base for the other skills. I will probably have few comments on how skill 4 plays. I just make sure the other skills have some kind of balancing ramp. Also playing a map so thoroughly finds many issues.

Map07 on Gzdoom 4.7.1 works for me. Did a quick max run with godmode. 

Ill put all my reports in this post and keep updating it.

MAP01: Trails in lava.

Spoiler

map01_doom02.png

Edited by Catoptromancy

3 hours ago, Catoptromancy said:

...what is the target audience? How easy should skill 2 be? Ill be checking how each skill compares to the next one. I tend to think skill 4 has already been widely tested and gameplay was designed on, so I use that as the base for the other skills. 

Map07 on Gzdoom 4.7.1 works for me. Did a quick max run with godmode. 

Reveal hidden contents

map01_doom02.png

Hopefully the project is accessible to most people, difficulties should be a relatively linear ramping. Skill 2 was designed to be easier overall and to mostly elimimate any kind of ammo management worries. Skill 4 seems popular and is where I spent most of my time testing personally. The lower skills from there typically lower the monster counts and occasionally remove/replace some of the high threat monsters from certain encounters.

I must say, your work is very much appreciated!!

On 10/30/2021 at 12:00 PM, Catoptromancy said:

Reveal hidden contents

map01_doom02.png

I have updated the OP with an incremental version to fix this, as well as a few other issues found on MAP10, 13, and 14.

Check OP for the latest version! (11/1/2021)

Thanks again to everyone who is sending reports, it is very much appreciated.

Edited by Rayziik : RC2.1 no longer available

Doing a quick check in wadspy for player starts and "total monster hp."

I noticed MAP11 has 2 DM starts. Besides big map, itll make lots of telefrag spawns. MAP05 has 32 deathmatch starts. Probably not an issue, just seems like a lot. MAP15 and MAP26 have no DM starts. It appears all skills have balancing tags at a quick glance. 

https://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/playtesting/Judgment-RC2/ws.txt

I'm having an absolute blast playing this. Almost done with it (beat map25 earlier today) and this is honestly such an incredible piece of work, kind of amazing that a one-man-megawad can stand to be so diverse and fun to play with so many unique battles and visuals to offer.

Playing the latest release (RC2.1) on GZDoom 4.7.1 and HMP, I've found a couple of issues:

Spoiler

xdQb70I.png

MAP23: The ceiling on the area that I'm facing has a missing texture causing a HOM (upper wall above the murk waterfall).

O836lXV.png

MAP24: This secret has nothing in it on HMP.

Other than that this is one hell of a ride. Thank you for your work and congrats on the release!

On 11/1/2021 at 1:12 AM, Bryan T said:

The link doesn't work for me. Mirror please.

Here's a mirror for the newest version: Check OP for the latest version! (11/2/2021)

On 11/1/2021 at 10:15 AM, Catoptromancy said:

Doing a quick check in wadspy for player starts and "total monster hp."

I noticed MAP11 has 2 DM starts. Besides big map, itll make lots of telefrag spawns. MAP05 has 32 deathmatch starts. Probably not an issue, just seems like a lot. MAP15 and MAP26 have no DM starts. It appears all skills have balancing tags at a quick glance. 

https://www.geocities.ws/catodemos/playtesting/Judgment-RC2/ws.txt

Looks like I started to do DM stuff on those three maps but never finished. Thanks for catching those ones. MAP05 having a bunch of starts should be ok, it has it's own dedicated area for DM.

On 11/1/2021 at 3:44 PM, Terminus said:

Playing the latest release (RC2.1) on GZDoom 4.7.1 and HMP, I've found a couple of issues:

Reveal hidden contents

xdQb70I.png

MAP23: The ceiling on the area that I'm facing has a missing texture causing a HOM (upper wall above the murk waterfall).

O836lXV.png

MAP24: This secret has nothing in it on HMP.

Other than that this is one hell of a ride. Thank you for your work and congrats on the release!

Thanks for the report, and I'm glad you're enjoying it!

-

I've gone ahead and fixed the above issues as well as some other issues that were reported else where. So here's another incremental release.

Check OP for the latest version! (11/2/2021)

Updated the OP with this, as well as a mirror in case that link doesn't work for some reason.

Edited by Rayziik : RC2.2 no longer available

Hi! Nice maps!

Something weird with the RC2.2 demos.(tested with DSDA/FDWL)

About the map07:

Spoiler

If you kill all mancubi and rush to the yellow key area without killing all arachnotrons(main area), you will be stuck in yellow key area because the lift to red key will not raise.

Edited by boom_compatible

Played a couple more maps last night (still on RC2.1). Don't know if those were fixed, and if they were then I apologize, but I found some more bugs, one of them being a little more important than the others.

Spoiler

ogh3Ns2.png

MAP26: After clicking the switch on the plasma rock to raise the bridge, a wrong sector transfer of the murk flat appears while facing into a certain direction.

x9WGx52.png

MAP26: In this area there are 3 missing items, all with the same TID.

OuWpJlr.png

MAP27: So when you lower the elevator and instead of going up, you decide to go to the nearby secret teleporter to telefrag the Revenants, when you try to click this switch again nothing happens. It still gives a delay timer equal to that of an elevator going up and down, but I essentially got softlocked here.

The pain elemental that initially appears by the nearby secret teleporter actually managed to fly upwards and teleport into the first destination and got stuck there. This might have been the cause, but I honestly can't tell. 

Will hopefully finish this megawad today. Stoked for those final maps!

On 11/2/2021 at 2:53 AM, boom_compatible said:

Something weird with the RC2.2 demos.(tested with DSDA/FDWL)

About the map07:

Hide contents

If you kill all mancubi and rush to the yellow key area without killing all arachnotrons(main area), you will be stuck in yellow key area because the lift to red key will not raise.

Oh yea, that's a bad one. Got it fixed for the next release, thanks for the report.

On 11/2/2021 at 4:15 AM, Terminus said:

Played a couple more maps last night (still on RC2.1). Don't know if those were fixed, and if they were then I apologize, but I found some more bugs, one of them being a little more important than the others.

Hide contents

MAP26: After clicking the switch on the plasma rock to raise the bridge, a wrong sector transfer of the murk flat appears while facing into a certain direction.

MAP26: In this area there are 3 missing items, all with the same TID.

MAP27: So when you lower the elevator and instead of going up, you decide to go to the nearby secret teleporter to telefrag the Revenants, when you try to click this switch again nothing happens. It still gives a delay timer equal to that of an elevator going up and down, but I essentially got softlocked here.

The pain elemental that initially appears by the nearby secret teleporter actually managed to fly upwards and teleport into the first destination and got stuck there. This might have been the cause, but I honestly can't tell.

Will hopefully finish this megawad today. Stoked for those final maps!

Unfortunately for the flat error on MAP26, I don't think I can do anything to fix that. I could only replicate it by using the Softpoly render option, and everything I've tried to fix it doesn't work or breaks the effect in other ways. I suppose it will have to be left as is for now. The missing things were a product of the MBF21 conversion and were missed when I originally went through and swapped out thing IDs.

MAP27's issues should be fixed for the next release, seems like somehow a vertex was catching the voodoo doll in place? Never heard of that happening before. Thanks again for the reports.

-

Here's another incremental that fixes these problems, seeing as how they can cause softlocks I figured it's worth it to get them taken care of ASAP.

Check OP for the latest version! (11/6/2021)

Edited by Rayziik : RC2.3 no longer available

i am not on the newest rc(still using rc2) but map 14 is able to be finished, even without rocket launcher. 

Spoiler

image.png.2bb4ddf6d5933cac9c151d74f2493442.png

not sure what happened here but the rocket launcher doesn't lower nor do these monsters on the right get released.

1 hour ago, loveless said:

not sure what happened here but the rocket launcher doesn't lower nor do these monsters on the right get released.

I had accidentally hit the undo when I was working on the map, and undid the addition of the proper linedef and tags to make that voodoo doll system work. It should be fixed in 2.1 and onward.

replayed map 14 on new RC and holy shit, that was really fun.  mostly didn't bother with infighting, just cut loose some rockets and zig-zagged until the end.

On 11/5/2021 at 5:08 PM, loveless said:

replayed map 14 on new RC and holy shit, that was really fun.

Glad you enjoyed! Thanks for playing :)

-

In other news, I'm pushing out a new (and potentially final!!) update:

Judgment - Release Candidate 3 (11/6/2021) Mirror

Notable changes include various map changes to allow the possibility and better facilitate D2ALL with No Monsters, and the addition of MAP33, an old map of mine that never got an official release as a new secret map accessed from MAP08.

Again, many thanks to everyone who has reported any issues or made any suggestions in the last three weeks!

Edited by Rayziik

This is going really fast, I havent really checked out much more than MAP01. I get super detailed, but it is time consuming. 

MAP19: Horizon line is too far forward or low.

Spoiler

map19_doom07.png

MAP19 messages in dsda-doom.

Spoiler

P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 2837 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 2886 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 2891 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5004 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5005 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5007 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5008 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5009 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5010 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8503 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8504 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8506 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8507 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8508 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8509 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8933 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8934 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8935 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 11477 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 11478 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 11480 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 11481 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef

Have neither of those map19 problems in Woof. I'm only halfway through the wad. Do I have little time to test it through now? :-( At least so far there's been no errors.

4 hours ago, Catoptromancy said:

This is going really fast, I havent really checked out much more than MAP01. I get super detailed, but it is time consuming. 

MAP19: Horizon line is too far forward or low.

Reveal hidden contents

map19_doom07.png

MAP19 messages in dsda-doom.

Reveal hidden contents

P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 2837 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 2886 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 2891 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5004 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5005 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5007 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5008 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5009 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 5010 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8503 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8504 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8506 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8507 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8508 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8509 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8933 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8934 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 8935 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 11477 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 11478 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 11480 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef
P_LoadLineDefs: linedef 11481 has two-sided flag set, but no second sidedef

Yea that one was weird. I fixed the sky bleeding thing, but I honestly don't know what I did to fix it. Oh well. The linedef issues were mostly benign, the lines in question were part of voodoo doll systems outside the play space, but I fixed those as well by adjusting the flags properly. Thanks for the reports.

3 hours ago, game said:

Have neither of those map19 problems in Woof. I'm only halfway through the wad. Do I have little time to test it through now? :-( At least so far there's been no errors.

I'll be waiting a little while longer to make sure nothing major comes up before make a final release. There's still some time left, and I appreciate your help!

MAP04: You can sr-50 over the exit signs into a softlock. Also the bluekey door is activated by both the door itself and a switch, not really a problem I guess its an option to skip switch.