Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kalensar

Brutal Freedoom GZD(V. Delta 3/17/22)

BRutalFreeCover.png.765606926d5e438e541e61ffb68324b8.png

Demo video:

Just unzip and load the PK3 into GZDoom or LZDoom. Cannot guarantee it to work on other source ports. This is a conversion primarily for Doom, but it does work on Freedoom as well. No maps are included. This is a mod to bring Freedoom Universe into the modern gaming age using the powers of GZDoom Engine. The mission goal: is to bring as much of Freedoom Universe to the table as possible with monsters, weapons, and textures while keeping the file size as compact as possible; To revolutionize the combat in the same vein as Brutal Doom but maintaining a unique experience at the same time. To this end, a whole new set of original code has been brought to fold to bring fun, blood, and lots of Player and Monster deaths. Be prepared for grenade chucking zombies, fierce tactics from fireballs all over the place, and more brutal weaponry for FreeDoom.

Changelog--

3/17/22-- Update!

Replaced Taser with the Angle Grinder.

Replaced Doom3 SSG with Freedoom SSG, primary fire is single shot and can reload with Reload key. Altfire is double barrel fire

Added Freedoom Pistol as a starter Item. Has infinite ammo but slow fire rate. Wimpy Weapon but necessary. You still also start with the Rifle.

Cut down unneeded data space! File size is now 13 MB with zero loss of capability!

Added New Skill difficulty of Unholy Massacre. harder than Extreme Carnage, aka its equivalent to UV+ but with no Fast Monsters. Super Fun!!!

Added in extra GLDEFS ( Dynamic Lights) AND fixed all the "dancing" torches and stuff! Everything should look much less buggy and more closer to Freedoom accuracy.

11/26/21-- Update to Version Delta.

New WEAPONS Update. No more clunky Alt fires. All weapons are single fire. Pistol Replaced with new Rifle that is the only weapon that reloads via Reload key. New Weapons graphics. Info below.

Added Freedoom Midi Pack for Doom 2 for those sweet tunes!

Updated all textures to PalPlus palette... Something advertised before but wasn't actually in effect. Gives Old school CRT colors basically.

Basically just a giant prettifying update all around Read the new info below to know more!

11/3/21--- Update! Added Freedoom Enemies, prettied up Explosions and blood graphics on enemies. Added extra blood code from Doom Unbroken creator -DIMOShunter aka SATRYAD24 to help spruce up the graphics a bit.

10/22/21-- BIG PATCH! Much APOLOGY! The previous version was faulty.

Updated ALL GLDEFS so that they are now as they should be! Everything that should light up lights up now. No more dark fire, dark gun flashes, explosions, lost souls or plasma!

Smoothed out animations on Shotgun and especially SuperShotgun

Added some missing textures.

Beefed up a couple of monsters: Better Zombies, Slightly more aggressive imps, Cyber now shoots the faster rockets, speed boost to Cacodemon, Spectres are now Stealth.

added more Brightmaps.

10/21/21 Gigantic Graphics overhaul Thanks to BretBot the Cryonaut!!!

Major upgrade to most projectiles throughout the mod. Set graphics to Particles only for best effects

New Play Palette and new Color Map

Updated Liquids graphics across the board.

Updated GLDEFS and Brightmaps that act very different but very cool!!!

Brutal Freedoom GZD

Can be used on any Doom wad including Freedoom Phase 1&2, Doom 1, Doom2, Plutonia and TNT. Works with any vanilla map wad. Basically it works with anything.

Monster death animations have been sped up so they fall over faster; monster walking animations have been smoothed out, and explosions have faster animations as well.

This mod is also tailored toward the visual aspects of FreeDoom in the same way as listed above.

Weapon changes: All weapons come from Realm 667 and have been heaviy modified by me.

Weapons:

Player.WeaponSlot 1, Fist,Grinder
Player.WeaponSlot 2, EMSRifle,Pistol
Player.WeaponSlot 3, SAShotgun,SSG1
Player.WeaponSlot 4, PulseNailgun
Player.WeaponSlot 5, D2C_Pipebomb,Heavy Sniper Rifle
Player.WeaponSlot 6, Plasmagun, Auto RailRifle
Player.WeaponSlot 7, BFG9000

1.Fist: Good old punch. Swings faster than vanilla

2. Angle Grinder: melee range, rapid fire weapon that'll serve the job well. replaces the chainsaw

3. EMS Rifle: A standard looking rifle that uses bullets that is 100% accurate, Reload with Reload key or when clip runs dry.

4. SAShotgun: A Top of the line shotgun.

5. SuperShotgun: An archaic double barrel with a big kick. Fluid reloading but the kick is a mule. use reload key

6. Heavy Sniper Rifle: A scoped assault(Altfire to zoom in and out) rifle that is accurate that shoots missile ammo. Ripper missile instead of explosive. Very high damage.

7. Pipe Bombs. Remote bombs that stay unarmed after thrown. Right click to light them all off at once. uses their own grenade ammo found on zombies. Once thrown they cannot be picked back up.

8. Pulse Nailgun: Uses Bullets. Fast firing rate.

9.Plasmagun: A small plasmagun that shoots single shot.

10 BFG-- Is the BFG. BFGBall explodes faster.

11. Auto RailRifle: Automatic fast fire rate Rail gun rifle. Use Cells.

12. Pistol- Small wimpy weapon that has an unlimited battery.

Enemies: Enemies are changed as follows:

Zomebiemen and Shotgunners now throw grenades.

Serpentipede now shoot 3 different types of fireballs

Pink Worms and Spectres now shoot an energy ball.

Chaingunner is just normal

Dark Soldier is normal

Pain Bringer look beefier.

Pain Lord look stronger and can shoot a triple burst

Combat Slug is larger in size and has more health.

Technospider is larger in size and has more health

Credits

BOLOGNESE GORE MOD by Sgt Mark IV

Freedoom Textures Edited by Kalensar

GLDefs edited by Kalensar
Decorate by Kalensar
PalPlus Color Map via Slade3
Freedoom Weapons Only for Doom by Kalensar
Freedoom Midi Pack (music) compiled by Kalensar

Various Realm667 guns edited heavily by Kalensar:
Semi-auto shotgun, UAC Plasmatic rifle, Plasma Shotgun, EMS Rifle, Sniper Rifle, Pulse Nail Rifle,
Pipe Bomb, Doom3 SSG, UAC Battle Rifle

BrettBot the Cryonaut Credit Contents...

- BetterFireballs.wad <-- My own original creation. No outside resources used.
- BetterPlasma.wad <-- Same as above.
- SmthTX+EnhLiquid <-- Half work from the Smooth Textures mod and half my own original work.
- splash.wad <-- Splash! (obtained from Realm667)
-

-----------------------------------------

Personal thoughts section.

I am aware there are other Brutal FreeDoom projects out there. The difference here is that this one is the smallest Brutal Freedoom made to date, and only uses one Brutal Doom asset, aka Bolognese gore mod. The rest of the mod was written and compiled by me, and assets from the generous Bretbot the Cryonaut. What this means is that it is self contained and will basically never be out dated just because it does not rely on any other assets except the maps and Iwad used.

Download here:  https://www.moddb.com/games/doom-ii/downloads/brutalfreedoomgzd

Edited by kalensar : update to new version

Just had a quick look at this. Don't know when I will find time to play it but I am looking forward to it. Thxs loads mate. :o)

3 hours ago, Korozive said:

Just had a quick look at this. Don't know when I will find time to play it but I am looking forward to it. Thxs loads mate. :o)

You're welcome! Be careful, Zombies are very grenade happy, but they can easily kill themselves too. Main HUD doesn't show the grenade count normally except when you are on Fist, but Alt-HUD will show them on the pistol. The Zombies use the same grenades you do and they do not one shot any actual demons. They will one shot Shotgunners and Zombiemen though. I'm warning on that aspect because none of this mod plays like Brutal Doom at all where grenades kill everything.

Also, Bolognese controls are in the options at the bottom. You can adjust the gore and gibitude to whatever it allows.

Uppdated main post. heres the juice

Changelog--

10/22/21-- BIG PATCH! Much APOLOGY! The previous version was faulty.

Updated ALL GLDEFS so that they are now as they should be! Everything that should light up lights up now. No more dark fire, dark gun flashes, explosions, lost souls or plasma!

Smoothed out animations on Shotgun and especially SuperShotgun

Added some missing textures.

Beefed up a couple of monsters: Better Zombies, Slightly more aggressive imps, Cyber now shoots the faster rockets, speed boost to Cacodemon, Spectres are now Stealth.

added more Brightmaps.

8 minutes ago, Senor Cacodemon said:

Keep on working on this, its frickin awesome!

I'm currently about to release an update pretty soon. I'm just letting my brain ramble a bit to see if I catch any bugs or some other ideas pop up before I release what I currently have.

Merged this thread and what looked like a duplicate thread to reduce clutter, apologies for any confusion.

New Update

Changelog--

3/17/22-- Update!

Replaced Taser with the Angle Grinder.

Replaced Doom3 SSG with Freedoom SSG, primary fire is single shot and can reload with Reload key. Altfire is double barrel fire

Added Freedoom Pistol as a starter Item. Has infinite ammo but slow fire rate. Wimpy Weapon but necessary. You still also start with the Rifle.

Cut down unneeded data space! File size is now 13 MB with zero loss of capability!

Added New Skill difficulty of Unholy Massacre. harder than Extreme Carnage, aka its equivalent to UV+ but with no Fast Monsters. Super Fun!!!

Added in extra GLDEFS ( Dynamic Lights) AND fixed all the "dancing" torches and stuff! Everything should look much less buggy and more closer to Freedoom accuracy.

updated the demo video showing the new difficulty on MAP01 of Doom 2. Don't Worry. This mod has the Freedoom 2 Midi Pack in it so no classic D_RUNNIN assault on the ears.