Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nirvana

Fractured Worlds [Final Release/Idgames]

Looks nothing short of amazing, can’t wait to try it. If ”late sunlust” is the target difficulty, it’s HNTR time for me.

Being somewhat new to the community, how much mapping experience such creations demand from the mapper? I know my three maps makes vanilla look good…

I have now learned that using colors unusual to Doom lends for a very appealing image in a WAD.

Heavily liking the use of space (As in, big open halls) to evocate how little and timid DoomGuy is.

What else can i say. In a year full of surprises, this is yet another one.

The Doom Community is spoiled beyond belief this year. There, i said it.

@Nirvana and team great stuff. This is a great autumn release.

55 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

Looks nothing short of amazing, can’t wait to try it. If ”late sunlust” is the target difficulty, it’s HNTR time for me.

Being somewhat new to the community, how much mapping experience such creations demand from the mapper? I know my three maps makes vanilla look good…

I mapped a lot as a kid/teen but didn't start making proper releases until much later. I'd say it's difficult to gauge how much experience you would need for more complex stuff, as it's entirely dependent on the person. I'd also note that the new iterations of Doombuilder are vastly easier to use than the editors I started with (Doomcad 95...lol) so you can likely progress at a much faster pace these days. If I were you I'd likely just try to knock out a small wad of a few maps, get some feedback, and go from there.

38 minutes ago, Redneckerz said:

I have now learned that using colors unusual to Doom lends for a very appealing image in a WAD.

Heavily liking the use of space (As in, big open halls) to evocate how little and timid DoomGuy is.

What else can i say. In a year full of surprises, this is yet another one.

The Doom Community is spoiled beyond belief this year. There, i said it.

@Nirvana and team great stuff. This is a great autumn release.

A big part of my 'process' for this wad was attempting to intermingle odd themes, textures, colours, and gameplay into something vaguely cohesive. Time will tell if I succeeded I guess :D

Does wad combines fine with gameplay mods? For example "Complex Doom" (no add-ons)? Looking to give it a try, but not sure how to play it. I.e. in case at least cyberdemon was changed.

Edited by UnknDoomer

30 minutes ago, UnknDoomer said:

Does wad combines fine with gameplay mods? For example "Complex Doom" (no add-ons)? Looking to give it a try, but not sure how to play it. I.e. in case at least cyberdemon was changed.

I don't know all that much about mods, and haven't done any testing. I'd imagine that the dehacked in this wad would mess with something like Complex Doom and Project Brutality though, but I'm not entirely sure.

Edited by Nirvana

Oh boy. Another super beautiful megawad that's gonna kill the shit outta me. Looking forward to it!

Having a lot of fun with this set, thanks for making it! MAP32 is also one the best (if not the best) things I've played this year, so hats off to IG as well.

Few things I've noticed so far (contains spoilers!):

Spoiler

doom15.png

(MAP03) This fight seemed to not activate each time, and I think the reason is that the sectors tagged 11 are set to Scroll Things by multiple different lines, and their effect stacks so that all the scrollers in those sectors are insanely fast, causing line skips in the closets. That's my theory anyway :P

doom14.png

(MAP32) Texture misalignment above the hidden purple door switch.

Edited by Aurelius

6 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

Having a lot of fun with this set, thanks for making it! MAP32 is also one the best (if not the best) things I've played this year, so hats off to IG as well.

Few things I've noticed so far (contains spoilers!):

Reveal hidden contents

doom15.png

This fight seemed to not activate each time, and I think the reason is that the sectors tagged 11 are set to Scroll Things by multiple different lines, and their effect stacks so that all the scrollers in those sectors are insanely fast, causing line skips in the closets. That's my theory anyway :P

doom14.png

Texture misalignment above the hidden purple door switch.

What port are you using? Eternity per chance? Have play tested that fight a huge amount and never once had it not work, so I'd assume it's a port-related issue. If it is Eternity and you have advice to fix it I'd be glad to hear it (will take a look at the super fast scrolling theory first.)

27 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

What port are you using? Eternity per chance? Have play tested that fight a huge amount and never once had it not work, so I'd assume it's a port-related issue. If it is Eternity and you have advice to fix it I'd be glad to hear it (will take a look at the super fast scrolling theory first.)

I was using DSDA-Doom version 0.20.0, using cl9. I tested it with the latest (0.21.3) and had the same effect. It works maybe once every 5 or 6 times for me. I tried PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 and surprisingly, I didn't have the same issue there. 

Edited by Aurelius

13 minutes ago, Aurelius said:

I was using DSDA-Doom version 0.20.0, using cl9. I tested it with the latest (0.21.3) and had the same effect. It works maybe once every 5 or 6 times for me. I tried PrBoom+ 2.5.1.5 and surprisingly, I didn't have the same issue there. 

Really odd that DSDA would have different scroller behaviour than prboom-plus tbh. I'll look into making the tps less likely to break though. Would recommend others to play prboom-plus for now (should be updated in a few hours hopefully.)

29 minutes ago, Not Jabba said:

This looks great! Among other things, thank you for the excellent explanation of difficulty settings.

I tried to make HNTR and HMP equally fun experiences as UV and I really want people to try them out! I also tried to think about what players on HNTR wouldn't particularly want to deal with, and platforming and death pits seemed to be a safe bet :D

I'm loving it, as I have almost completed Map02 (still searching for last two secrets). I'm playing on HNTR, and I haven't found my way out of any death pits I've fallen into so far... But what I want to ask, is how exactly Fractured Worlds compare to WADs considered hard? I mean, I'm avoiding Sunlusts and Stardates and such things I've seen on Youtube videos, but I'm having fun* on FW on HNTR. I feel like I'm learning (hopefully) learning something on how to handle harder WADs, but I don't know. I have no experience.

I also wanna say that third of my playtime goes into staring at beautiful architecture and wondering, how this and that has been accomplished with Boom :-D

(* Despite dying a lot, and saving like a savescumbag that I am).