Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nirvana

Fractured Worlds [Final Release/Idgames]

45 minutes ago, RHhe82 said:

I'm loving it, as I have almost completed Map02 (still searching for last two secrets). I'm playing on HNTR, and I haven't found my way out of any death pits I've fallen into so far... But what I want to ask, is how exactly Fractured Worlds compare to WADs considered hard? I mean, I'm avoiding Sunlusts and Stardates and such things I've seen on Youtube videos, but I'm having fun* on FW on HNTR. I feel like I'm learning (hopefully) learning something on how to handle harder WADs, but I don't know. I have no experience.

I also wanna say that third of my playtime goes into staring at beautiful architecture and wondering, how this and that has been accomplished with Boom :-D

(* Despite dying a lot, and saving like a savescumbag that I am).

I would say that this wad is close to Stardate 20x6 and later maps in Sunlust in difficulty for Ultra Violence, so I'd assume that if you can play this on HNTR, you should be able to play those on HNTR. I know Ribbiks usually balances for HMP and makes UV for people who want a crazy challenge, so HMP and HNTR are usually fairly reasonable in his wads.

Jeez this is harder than the last maps I played.

Actually I'm going to wait until someone youtube'd a playthrough, I'm already stuck on the first map. I'm missing something obvious I guess.

20 minutes ago, Turin Turambar said:

Jeez this is harder than the last maps I played.

Actually I'm going to wait until someone youtube'd a playthrough, I'm already stuck on the first map. I'm missing something obvious I guess.

Try it out on an easier difficulty! They're pretty fun I think :)

So much good stuff being released, I can't keep up.
Congrats on the release !

Lovely cyan themes you got there :)

Edited by WH-Wilou84

Seriously, is this year the best when it comes to the sheer amount of high-quality releases? This is another thing that sounds absolutely amazing. It's getting to the point I need to take time off work just to catch up on everything in my backlog, lol. I might be able to check this out this weekend. I haven't played Sunlust yet, but I will try this on UV and see how I do. 

2 maps in and holy crap is this mapset absolutely brutal (playing UV cuz that's the only way I ever tend to play lmao). Having a lot of fun tho, and the aesthetics here are breathtaking. Ribbiks and Dannebubinga would be proud :3

1 hour ago, TJG1289 said:

Seriously, is this year the best when it comes to the sheer amount of high-quality releases? This is another thing that sounds absolutely amazing. It's getting to the point I need to take time off work just to catch up on everything in my backlog, lol. I might be able to check this out this weekend. I haven't played Sunlust yet, but I will try this on UV and see how I do. 

Ikr....Heartland, Tarnsmans Projectile Hell, Microslaughter Community Project, Haste, Literalism, Atmospheric Extinction, and now this.....the Cacoward peeps have their plates full this year

Do you have to do any fighting in the platforming sections? Are the platforming sections just basic 'runnig over the platforms" type or are there any points where you have to pull some crazy SR50 nonsense?

5 hours ago, LadyMistDragon said:

Do you have to do any fighting in the platforming sections? Are the platforming sections just basic 'runnig over the platforms" type or are there any points where you have to pull some crazy SR50 nonsense?

There is only one sr50 in the wad and it's for a secret in map 2 (and only on Ultra Violence.) The platforming require some sr40s in places on UV and HMP but on HNTR there are generally additional platforms added to make things easier and/or teleporters to get out of the pits should you fall. 

New version is out with some minor fixes (does fix a potential softlock on map 3 for GZ players so might be worth redownloading if that's you!)

Incredible mapset. I'm 4 maps in, playing on hntr, and I'm having a blast.

I think this wad could be described as a more accessible Stardate, which fits my taste so perfectly that I can barely believe it's real. I love setpiece-style fights and the visual theme a lot. All the detail and lighting effects only make it better.

12 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

Incredible mapset. I'm 4 maps in, playing on hntr, and I'm having a blast.

I think this wad could be described as a more accessible Stardate, which fits my taste so perfectly that I can barely believe it's real. I love setpiece-style fights and the visual theme a lot. All the detail and lighting effects only make it better.

Glad you're enjoying it! Stardate comparisons are fair, I'd say it sits somewhere between 20x6 and 20x7 in difficulty overall.

Also, version 1.3 is out and has some important bug fixes and minor rebalancing.

1 hour ago, Nirvana said:

I'd say it sits somewhere between 20x6 and 20x7 in difficulty overall.

It's been a while since I played 20x6, so maybe I'm remembering wrong but I feel like Fractured Worlds is a bit easier than that, at least so far. Also when I said "more accessible", I didn't only mean the difficulty, but also the layouts. They're relatively straightforward and hard to get lost in, which I appreciate.

3 hours ago, Lorenz0 said:

It's been a while since I played 20x6, so maybe I'm remembering wrong but I feel like Fractured Worlds is a bit easier than that, at least so far. Also when I said "more accessible", I didn't only mean the difficulty, but also the layouts. They're relatively straightforward and hard to get lost in, which I appreciate.

Glad to hear! Had a few people struggling with progression here and there but I felt like everything was fairly straight forward and there were no real complaints in testing, so I'm happy you didn't have difficulties :D

I have actually marked a few things slightly more clearly here and there in the latest update, as well as making some of the gimmicks a bit more obvious for blind playthroughs. Hopefully it helps out the people losing their way.

This is correct. Also some more slight changes to the wad in version 1.4. Hopefully this will be the final update (or at least one of the final updates) to the wad...

Maybe I spoke too soon when I said this wad is accessible, map05 seriously kicked my ass lol

I assumed this meant the remaining maps would be really hard as well, but no, map05 was the only one, so perhaps it's a singular case of sub-optimal balancing for hntr? I found the rocket launcher fight with revenants and hellknights to be the hardest.

I beat the whole wad by now and enjoyed my experience a lot. MAP32 was insanely impressive from a technical aspect, even in a project full of technically impressive maps, though it was also much easier than what I had gotten used to, surprisingly. Except for the "shhh" encounter, which was a bit too tight and gimmicky for my liking. Idk how you can get through that without savescumming.

Btw keep in mind I played on continuous, so my experience may have been different from pistol starters.

Space mix magnolia and sunder design.Look like blue thunder frustrated cybers.                                                                                                                

This set is an absolute standout to me even among the incredibly stacked year we've had so far for releases. I've got nothing but praise. Every map is gorgeous and a joy to play.

I decided to actually bump my normal difficulty down to HMP, and I'm glad I did. There's some pretty tough fights in these first 2 maps! But it's been really fun. Looks amazing, fights are interesting, music choices are great. Found all but one of the secrets in the first 2 maps, and really enjoy the hidden fights. Everything seems finely tuned. Save-summed the crap out of the maps so far, but the big showcase fights have all been manageable with a few retries. And being a continuous player, having weapons early in map 2 still doesn't make it any easier. Can't wait to try out the rest of the maps! 

Map03 almost complete! I'm clearly missing a purple key for a secret, and I guess that key is the other missing secret. I wonder where the missing 40ish kills will come... Not that I'm begging any hints here ;^) (except maybe just a little. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. In MAP02 I spent eternities looking for final secrets, only to discover I had to press a switch in plain sight I thought I had already pressed).

In any case, HNTR seems to be the difficulty of choice for me here; I'm hesitant to try HMP, as HNTR clearly kicks my ass just enough. I'm really glad, for instance for the blue key encounter in MAP03, which is the sort of ambush I'm not used to, having played mostly IWADs. I don't know how that encounter would play on higher difficulties, but for me it was intense, exhilarating, and not in any way frustrating despite numerous deaths and one middle-of-the-fight save. I guess I wanted to say that I appreciate when mappers take the time to implement lower difficulties for high difficulty maps.

Edit: oh, by the way... I don't know if you want to get bug reports here, and this is a very minor one, but while searching for secrets I stumbled onto the ledge in below screenshot, and it was damaging floor. Surely unintentionally so?

Spoiler

FW_damfloor_MAP03.png.3032aa2209b597142c208fbef0782271.png

Edited by RHhe82 : Damaging floor thing

On 10/23/2021 at 2:20 AM, Lorenz0 said:

Maybe I spoke too soon when I said this wad is accessible, map05 seriously kicked my ass lol

I assumed this meant the remaining maps would be really hard as well, but no, map05 was the only one, so perhaps it's a singular case of sub-optimal balancing for hntr? I found the rocket launcher fight with revenants and hellknights to be the hardest.

I beat the whole wad by now and enjoyed my experience a lot. MAP32 was insanely impressive from a technical aspect, even in a project full of technically impressive maps, though it was also much easier than what I had gotten used to, surprisingly. Except for the "shhh" encounter, which was a bit too tight and gimmicky for my liking. Idk how you can get through that without savescumming.

Btw keep in mind I played on continuous, so my experience may have been different from pistol starters.

Thanks for this feedback! After seeing this post and a few other playthroughs of the map on HNTR I have done some sweeping nerfs to the map (including making the second platforming section have no pain sector so it can be retried without taking a ton of damage.) Hopefully it feels a bit more in-line with the other maps now!

On 10/23/2021 at 6:57 PM, TJG1289 said:

I decided to actually bump my normal difficulty down to HMP, and I'm glad I did. There's some pretty tough fights in these first 2 maps! But it's been really fun. Looks amazing, fights are interesting, music choices are great. Found all but one of the secrets in the first 2 maps, and really enjoy the hidden fights. Everything seems finely tuned. Save-summed the crap out of the maps so far, but the big showcase fights have all been manageable with a few retries. And being a continuous player, having weapons early in map 2 still doesn't make it any easier. Can't wait to try out the rest of the maps! 

Thanks for playing on HMP :D The wad had some really good testers for that difficulty and I think it hits a good sweet spot because of that. Hope you enjoyed the rest!

16 hours ago, RHhe82 said:

Map03 almost complete! I'm clearly missing a purple key for a secret, and I guess that key is the other missing secret. I wonder where the missing 40ish kills will come... Not that I'm begging any hints here ;^) (except maybe just a little. I feel like I'm missing something obvious. In MAP02 I spent eternities looking for final secrets, only to discover I had to press a switch in plain sight I thought I had already pressed).

In any case, HNTR seems to be the difficulty of choice for me here; I'm hesitant to try HMP, as HNTR clearly kicks my ass just enough. I'm really glad, for instance for the blue key encounter in MAP03, which is the sort of ambush I'm not used to, having played mostly IWADs. I don't know how that encounter would play on higher difficulties, but for me it was intense, exhilarating, and not in any way frustrating despite numerous deaths and one middle-of-the-fight save. I guess I wanted to say that I appreciate when mappers take the time to implement lower difficulties for high difficulty maps.

Edit: oh, by the way... I don't know if you want to get bug reports here, and this is a very minor one, but while searching for secrets I stumbled onto the ledge in below screenshot, and it was damaging floor. Surely unintentionally so?

Reveal hidden contents

FW_damfloor_MAP03.png.3032aa2209b597142c208fbef0782271.png

Cheers for this, fixed in the latest version.

On that note, newest release is in the OP, but I'll chuck it here in case people end up missing it:

Fractured Worlds v1.5

Edited by Nirvana

2 minutes ago, i suck at nicknames said:

Has anyone UV-MAXed this mapset yet? Kinda have alot of trouble in some points and I'd appreciate watching a veteran do these maps (given how much I've been dying lmao) :3 

People won't bother with maxes until it goes on idgames, as the demos would desync if the mapset was updated, and they'd want the demos available on DSDA. If you're trying to push yourself through UV, try knocking it down to HMP, lots of good players use that difficulty and it's been tested a lot in this set.

6 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

People won't bother with maxes until it goes on idgames, as the demos would desync if the mapset was updated, and they'd want the demos available on DSDA. If you're trying to push yourself through UV, try knocking it down to HMP, lots of good players use that difficulty and it's been tested a lot in this set.

I would, but I always play on UV by default and I've already spent a couple of hours in my playthrough (I'm on map 4) and I dont like retconning my progress on a mapset to lower the difficulty.  

Tho I didn't know people only made demos of wads after it goes up on idgames...that's news to me.  

Thanks for the advice tho...amazing wad btw:>

3 hours ago, i suck at nicknames said:

I would, but I always play on UV by default and I've already spent a couple of hours in my playthrough (I'm on map 4) and I dont like retconning my progress on a mapset to lower the difficulty.  

Tho I didn't know people only made demos of wads after it goes up on idgames...that's news to me.  

Thanks for the advice tho...amazing wad btw:>

this is a game, a hobby. there are no trophies and no one is taking home money. enjoy yourself, save self-flagellation for other things in life.