Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nirvana

Fractured Worlds [Final Release/Idgames]

21 hours ago, i suck at nicknames said:

I would, but I always play on UV by default and I've already spent a couple of hours in my playthrough (I'm on map 4) and I dont like retconning my progress on a mapset to lower the difficulty.  

Tho I didn't know people only made demos of wads after it goes up on idgames...that's news to me.  

Thanks for the advice tho...amazing wad btw:>

Well the wad was certainly built to be enjoyable on every difficulty, and I've seen a lot of people forcing themselves to play UV and getting obliterated when they would likely enjoy HMP or HNTR a lot more. Lower difficulties still have satisfying gameplay imo!

Edited by Nirvana

Blue night pain elementals and lost sost souls it's lulaby for doomguy.Middle you work super shotgun.Including two switch took bfg easy fun.Last part hell knights room not boring.                                                                                                                                                                                               

Blue night pain elementals and lost sost souls it's lulaby for doomguy.Middle you work super shotgun.Including two switch took bfg easy fun.Last part hell knights room not boring.   

Beautiful words 

just finished a replay on ITYTD.  difficulty balancing was very well done for this wad.  every fight still felt fun with plenty of room for loose play.  never felt worried about a lack of ammo so my weapon choices kept consistently off the ssg.  nicely done!

Every map light purty for doomguy.Amazing map for boom complevel.Glory slaughter look like magnolia or breathless.Who play maps 31 and 32 on nightmare difficult.

Only half way through but damn this is one of my favorite wads so far. I always love your optional fights you put in your maps.

13 hours ago, Btyb88 said:

Only half way through but damn this is one of my favorite wads so far. I always love your optional fights you put in your maps.

Glad you’re enjoying it so far! I generally like to reward players with more gameplay for bigger secrets, since that’s why people are loading the game up anyway. A more interesting reward than a box of shells or a soul sphere imo! 

Idgames release should be out in the next few days barring any major bugs. 

Nice max! You can play this map super fast with an instant BFG grab; I think I've gotten times around the 5-6 minute mark with the route I planned out. Either way, idgames should be out in the next few days hopefully, meaning maxes can be routed!

4 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

Nice max! You can play this map super fast with an instant BFG grab; I think I've gotten times around the 5-6 minute mark with the route I planned out. Either way, idgames should be out in the next few days hopefully, meaning maxes can be routed!

Will my max version desync with final 

Just now, Plats said:

Will my max version desync with final 

I think it likely will unfortunately. The hazards of maxing things before their idgames release :( Possible it doesn't though, would have to test.

21 minutes ago, Nirvana said:

I think it likely will unfortunately. The hazards of maxing things before their idgames release :( Possible it doesn't though, would have to test.

I just beated it again in the current version 1.7 :)

There have been a few minor bugs discovered that are being fixed as I am told about them. Will leave the wad a few more days before posting to idgames to iron out these small issues as they arise, so anyone seeking to max maps should wait until the idgames release. 

Played it on HMP and I had a blast with every map, I think the one that left me with the best impression was Map01. The combination of a very catJAM midi and good combat got stuck with me.

It was a good call to start with HMP given that I could have struggled with some fights in UV, overall a 10/10, gonna replay it on UV at some point to record some demos in the future.

Thanks for this fantastic WAD

Was a pleasure to watch you play through on HMP, maybe the most underrepresented difficulty level as far as streams and such goes. Glad you enjoyed it and thanks for playing, Medi :)

Finally finished on UV. Most definitely one of, if not, my favorite wads. I think every level is genius, especially the secret fights on map06. I was grinning a lot with that one.

8 hours ago, Btyb88 said:

Finally finished on UV. Most definitely one of, if not, my favorite wads. I think every level is genius, especially the secret fights on map06. I was grinning a lot with that one.

Thanks for the kind words, and glad you enjoyed your experience :) It has been a lot of fun seeing people's reactions to map 6 and its secret areas on various streams, been as fun to watch as it was to make!

Just waiting on a few playthroughs to be completed to upload to idgames, hopefully won't be too much longer...

Bumping for what should be the final update for the wad (Kapp) hopefully. 

Multiplayer is now fully implemented, as well as a ton of minor texture and bug fixes. Multiplayer has been balanced to be extremely loose, with basically all lock-ins completely opened up on short timers to allow for a more fluid and casual experience. Let me know if there are any egregious bugs found during MP sessions and I'll endeavour to fix them before the idgames release (hopefully later this week.) A few of us will likely be doing a multiplayer stream some time this week to see how much of the wad we can break :)

Daerik will also be doing a showcase speedrun of map 6 and map 32 over on the AGDQ channel on Tuesday, November 17 at 7:45pm Pacific Time (GMT-8.) Gazebo and I will be providing commentary for the run and it should be a lot of fun!

Here's the stream link:

https://www.twitch.tv/gamesdonequick

What a beautiful and inventive wad!  Amongst all the other praise everyone is giving here, I must say you have an incredible talent for color combinations.

I noticed a sliver-thin slime trail in software-rendering mode near the switch where you use the white key in map 6.  Specifically, if you stand at the opening of the alcove and face the switch, then turn 90 degrees left, it should be visible.  I tried to see a hint in UDB, but don't know anything about mapping; in UDB I saw a spot around where there was the slime trail which had three vertices close to each other, not sure if that was it.  I was using v1.8.1 and just compiled dsda-doom from github source, I guess I'm using v0.22.1 with no additional patches, on linux.

Spoiler

Also, wow, that white key area, I've never experienced anything like that in doom, it's incredible you thought of this and all its nuances, and didn't just stop with the solid colors.

The deep bass noise the ghost cacos emit is extremely eerie and far from the frequency range of the sounds any other monsters make.  It manages to enhance the other-wordly effect of that area in a non-trivial way.

As I said, I do not map, but I think like anyone who plays doom, I scheme up map ideas, and have always wondered about a map with many solid colors.  Shocking how good it looks, especially under software rendering (on GL, it looks much more plain).

On 11/19/2021 at 5:04 PM, siege cunt said:

What a beautiful and inventive wad!  Amongst all the other praise everyone is giving here, I must say you have an incredible talent for color combinations.

I noticed a sliver-thin slime trail in software-rendering mode near the switch where you use the white key in map 6.  Specifically, if you stand at the opening of the alcove and face the switch, then turn 90 degrees left, it should be visible.  I tried to see a hint in UDB, but don't know anything about mapping; in UDB I saw a spot around where there was the slime trail which had three vertices close to each other, not sure if that was it.  I was using v1.8.1 and just compiled dsda-doom from github source, I guess I'm using v0.22.1 with no additional patches, on linux.

Reveal hidden contents

Also, wow, that white key area, I've never experienced anything like that in doom, it's incredible you thought of this and all its nuances, and didn't just stop with the solid colors.

The deep bass noise the ghost cacos emit is extremely eerie and far from the frequency range of the sounds any other monsters make.  It manages to enhance the other-wordly effect of that area in a non-trivial way.

As I said, I do not map, but I think like anyone who plays doom, I scheme up map ideas, and have always wondered about a map with many solid colors.  Shocking how good it looks, especially under software rendering (on GL, it looks much more plain).

Thanks for the feedback and glad you enjoyed the wad! I've tried to get rid of all the slime trails I have noticed, so I'll take a look at that one as well. Maps 3 and 6 had the worst issues with slime trails due to the huge amount of vertices used in the more 'natural' geometry. Wiggling some vertices should help.

Spoiler

It's been really cool to see people's reactions to the secret area in map 6, and it was a lot of fun to put together -especially once I had the idea for the cacos. The entire wad looks vastly better in software compared to GL imo, but yes, that area especially.

The surprise archviles are seemingly endless in the first map, can admit it's tough but I like how the pace never slows down. The aesthetics are great and it'll take a while to beat these.

Hey, long time lurker, this WAD is beautiful, very well done to everyone involved in the project. But after lurking Doomworld for all of these years I'm finally forced to make an account.

I am honestly stumped at Map 07. How the hell do I get out of the starting room. I've tried everything.

1 hour ago, DutyAWOL said:

Hey, long time lurker, this WAD is beautiful, very well done to everyone involved in the project. But after lurking Doomworld for all of these years I'm finally forced to make an account.

I am honestly stumped at Map 07. How the hell do I get out of the starting room. I've tried everything.

I’m pretty sure you need to carry an RPG from the previous level.

2 hours ago, DutyAWOL said:

It's the ending map, there's nothing to do there besides the rocket launcher secret Jacek mentioned. It just stops the set from spilling into the rest of doom 2.