Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nirvana

Fractured Worlds [Final Release/Idgames]

3 hours ago, DutyAWOL said:

Hey, long time lurker, this WAD is beautiful, very well done to everyone involved in the project. But after lurking Doomworld for all of these years I'm finally forced to make an account.

I am honestly stumped at Map 07. How the hell do I get out of the starting room. I've tried everything.

Use the Konami Code.  (joke)

Anyway, akolai explained it clearly.

1 hour ago, ScrappyMcDoogerton said:

The lost soul has to die or move to unblock the voodoo doll so it can can move over a linedef to open the secret.

I'm assuming you're referring to the megasphere? It's an sr50 on UV or a vile jump depending on your inclination. 

Map01 Blind 100% Playthrough with saves. (My first commentated video)

I will follow through with the rest of the mapset.

Edited by Jacek Bourne

Map02 Blind 100% Playthrough with Saves

Favorite map so far. Although I’ve only played 2.

Edited by Jacek Bourne

Maps look nice so far, not a fan of the dumb Cyberdemon corridor in map02. At least it was short.

Got to the bit after it, but it devolved into "hold down the BFG button". I'm not playing any further. Infight simulators are another awful trend that I hope dies out, and holding down BFG has never been satisfying.

I'm sure the other maps are good, and I can tell effort and thought have been put into these, but for me these two gameplay styles are not just frustrating, but boring. Having them back-to-back was the last straw.

Hope everyone else enjoys it.

Edited by DarkQuill : Updated

On 12/24/2021 at 9:09 PM, DarkQuill said:

Maps look nice so far, not a fan of the dumb Cyberdemon corridor in map02. At least it was short.

Got to the bit after it, but it devolved into "hold down the BFG button". I'm not playing any further. Infight simulators are another awful trend that I hope dies out, and holding down BFG has never been satisfying.

I'm sure the other maps are good, and I can tell effort and thought have been put into these, but for me these two gameplay styles are not just frustrating, but boring. Having them back-to-back was the last straw.

Hope everyone else enjoys it.

Unfortunate that you had a bad time. If you found the maps too challenging, HMP and HNTR have had a lot of work put into balancing them to make them enjoyable, and not just dumbed down. Maybe trying taking the difficulty down if you w ere playing on UV. Maybe the wad just isn't for you though :)

Have to echo some's feelings - visually stunning, but the Sunder gameplay formula is wearing thin. Worst offenders are map04 and map05 - I would temporarily quit AFTER clearing a challenge, so it's clearly not a difficulty/frustration issue. 

Made an account just to say I really freaking enjoyed this whole wad. A good challenge and visually appealing. The spooky ending at map 06 was very interesting.

My fav fight was probably the MAP03 ending and as well as the MAP03 mid fight with the damaging floor that can change with the button push. Finished it all on UV with my only struggle was MAP 05 platforming because I'm bad.

Thanks for the WAD. Looking forward to anything else you may put out!

2 hours ago, Austinado said:

@Nirvana, just to say you did a Hell of a Job here, i had alot of fun and challenge! Congrats ;)

Cheers Austin, I'll have to catch the VODs if you streamed it! Been out of the Doom loop lately.

Magnolia blue starlit.                                                                                                                                                                                                      

Awesome wad, had a lot of fun with it. Map06 ending blew my mind.

Thanks for such an amazing release.

I believe I've found a way to reliably cheese BFG fight in Map 04:

Also after I have uploaded this, I've noticed, that the way Jacek Bourne won this fight in his blind run is the same as I did it blind - by doing an awkward unreliable AVJ. But what I show in the video (AVJ + Rocket jump) can be done consistently. Still, I'm wondering now, what was the supposed strategy for this fight.

Also sorry that it's so dark, I didn't know youtube butchers original video colors and brightness so much.

Edited by Ravendesk

Yeah I'm aware of this. I believe it happened in testing a few times and I just left it in after seeing Vile and a few others do it on stream as well. Cheese away :)

Did anyone analyze how the fight for the red key works in the Map 04? (Not sure if Nirvana himself wants to explain or if he wants to keep it a problem to solve).

I just don't understand the pattern of the shutters in this fight. It seems completely random. They are open for a random amount of time or is that just me?

What's even more confusing is that after pressing the first switch, the shutters sometimes stay open forever and sometimes stay closed forever, and I also fail to see the pattern here. What does that depend on?

I tried to understand it in doombuilder, but I can't figure it out.

fw04-rkf.png

It's just a quirk of the line action I used for the shutters. They move perpetually and the stop function doesn't seem to stop them moving immediately most of the time, but I enjoyed that it was a bit random (since a lot of my slaughter encounters are fairly rigid, especially in that map) so I left it that way.

map03's red/blue lava fight has a supercharge that sometimes does not spawn in. I checked the out of bounds conveyer and it seems like it is skipping a linedef

Figured this setup a while ago but kept forgetting to make a vid. So basically a consistent SR50 setup for fw02 megasphere secret. I guess it can be useful for maxers or even for people playing this map casually.

The thread just got bumped, so I might as well just say this.

When I first played MAP01-MAP02 of Fractured World, I felt neutral about it. I thought it was just a wad full of difficult fights. After beating the first two maps, I didn't touch the wad for almost three months.

But then, I decided to give this wad another try because I was bored, so I played MAP03. It was an awesome map and that was the point when Fractured World started to intrigue me. I continued playing until MAP06. I also decided to replay MAP01-MAP02 and somehow I found them much more enjoyable than the first time I played them. I didn't know exactly why I felt meh about this wad at first, but now it's one of the best wads I ever played... The fights are challenging and creative (I mean, really creative, they are quite gimmicky in interesting ways). Whenever I keep dying, there is always this beautiful visual that always keeps me company and encourages me to continue. I love the style of this wad overall and it even greatly inspires my own mapping philosophy (I haven't made many maps so you probably don't know me, but anyway...)

I just wanna say-- Thank you for making this great wad.

10 hours ago, Ravendesk said:

Figured this setup a while ago but kept forgetting to make a vid. So basically a consistent SR50 setup for fw02 megasphere secret. I guess it can be useful for maxers or even for people playing this map casually.

This is basically the setup I use, though I just eyeball it. Great video though, will hopefully make it a bit less awful for people :)

18 minutes ago, Dubium said:

The thread just got bumped, so I might as well just say this.

When I first played MAP01-MAP02 of Fractured World, I felt neutral about it. I thought it was just a wad full of difficult fights. After beating the first two maps, I didn't touch the wad for almost three months.

But then, I decided to give this wad another try because I was bored, so I played MAP03. It was an awesome map and that was the point when Fractured World started to intrigue me. I continued playing until MAP06. I also decided to replay MAP01-MAP02 and somehow I found them much more enjoyable than the first time I played them. I didn't know exactly why I felt meh about this wad at first, but now it's one of the best wads I ever played... The fights are challenging and creative (I mean, really creative, they are quite gimmicky in interesting ways). Whenever I keep dying, there is always this beautiful visual that always keeps me company and encourages me to continue. I love the style of this wad overall and it even greatly inspires my own mapping philosophy (I haven't made many maps so you probably don't know me, but anyway...)

I just wanna say-- Thank you for making this great wad.

This is cool to hear! Glad that you decided to give it another go and that it grew on you. I did try to make the fights relatively unique and attempted to have at least one larger scale, more memorable fight per map, so glad that worked for you. Good luck with the mapping!

Just got through MAP02 on HNTR with saves and it's been giving me flashbacks to my playthroughs of Stardate 20X6 and 20X7. Some really creative fights in here and the aesthetics are right up my alley so far. That fight in MAP02 in that cramped platforming area that gets flooded with cacos, revs, and a couple mancubi and PEs really brutalized the hell out of me though. The fight near the optional purple/magenta area also gave me quite a bit of trouble. Personally I really liked the cyberdemon corridor, I'm guessing it was directly inspired by a similar fight in SD20X6 MAP03?

2 hours ago, tm512 said:

Just got through MAP02 on HNTR with saves and it's been giving me flashbacks to my playthroughs of Stardate 20X6 and 20X7. Some really creative fights in here and the aesthetics are right up my alley so far. That fight in MAP02 in that cramped platforming area that gets flooded with cacos, revs, and a couple mancubi and PEs really brutalized the hell out of me though. The fight near the optional purple/magenta area also gave me quite a bit of trouble. Personally I really liked the cyberdemon corridor, I'm guessing it was directly inspired by a similar fight in SD20X6 MAP03?

I was thinking about Magnolia map01 while playing that fight. :P

I downloaded this a while ago but never got around to playing it, finally got to dip into it and my god is it good even if UV is beating my ass currently and I'm too proud to take a lower difficulty. LMAO Aesthetic is right up my alley too, 10/10.

I can't help but wonder what the midi is called that's played on the level end screen? The Doom Wiki lists everything except that one. Idk where it's from or who did it but it sounds incredibly lovely