Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SlippySlipper

How to play user WADs

2 hours ago, SlippySlipper said:

and all it does is ask which of the Official Doom WADs to load.

Exactly what you need to do. You need to select either Doom or Doom 2 depending for what Iwad that user wad was made.

This is exactly what confused me when I started!! :)

Just click on Doom2 -i it's usually Doom2 - and start playing but when the game starts, you'll see it;s the Community wad instead.

4 minutes ago, Steveb1000 said:

This is exactly what confused me when I started!! :)

Just click on Doom2 -i it's usually Doom2 - and start playing but when the game starts, you'll see it;s the Community wad instead.

I tried this. It just loads Doom 2. Or Doom 1 depending on which I click

7 minutes ago, SlippySlipper said:

What's weird is it works for Brutal Doom no problem, but when I try a new WAD it just decides to run the original WAD files

Drop brutal and the IWAD together.

or, you could set up a shortcut to launch Brutal and the dropped IWAD:

image.png.136d0ebb580ffb9a7e93e4e86f13156a.png

Target is

D:\Games\Doom\GZDoom\gzdoom.exe -config "D:\Games\Doom\Config\gzdoom-brutal.ini" -file

- set the paths to your setup of course

The key thing is the gzdoom-brutal.ini file - it autoloads brutal mod:

This setting:

[doom.Autoload]
path=D:\Games\Doom\BD\brutalv20b_R.pk3

And then loads your pwad as the -path argument.

Edited by smeghammer

A launcher such as ZDL may simplify the process: https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

Configure it with the locations of your source ports and the locations of your IWADs, and enjoy having a sensible GUI for specifying what WADs you want to load (and in what order too, which matters if you want to load multiple PWADs but which drag and drop doesn't offer much control over).

10 minutes ago, Shepardus said:

A launcher such as ZDL may simplify the process: https://zdoom.org/wiki/ZDL

Configure it with the locations of your source ports and the locations of your IWADs, and enjoy having a sensible GUI for specifying what WADs you want to load (and in what order too, which matters if you want to load multiple PWADs but which drag and drop doesn't offer much control over).

or this :-)

sorry - I like to tinker...

It pains me to see this question gets asked still.

@SlippySlipper copy-pasting your title leads me to the DoomWiki definition* of how to load stuff. One could go from there.

40 minutes ago, SlippySlipper said:

I have no idea what any of this means lol. Sorry

Then start reading the page and ask questions when you don't get something instead of instant dismissal?

You start these with the Command Prompt (Enter that in the Windows 10 search bar at the left bottom corner)

Spoiler

* What actually grinds my gears is that this shit-tier Fandom is still the first hit upon searching it. Fuck that.

You can create batch files too, it's very basic but it works. If you want feel free to use and edit this one, just replace the files names with the mods or wads you wanna play (Assuming GZDoom, you can also rename the exe to any other port)

EDIT: Place it in the same folder as GZDoom and those files so it works

Batch file.zip

Edited by Lol 6

2 hours ago, SlippySlipper said:

What's weird is it works for Brutal Doom no problem, but when I try a new WAD it just decides to run the original WAD files

the creator of the wads usually state which iwad their wad is designed for, just check what the creator said, load it into gzdoom, pick the corresponding wad and then it should work.

if it still doesnt then there is a pc problem or something

Tiny things you can do, press on the links to view the images

Spoiler

1.- Go to the windows icon and to the search bar (Ignore that my os is win 7, it will work the same on Win 10)

https://imgur.com/gallery/w3uWZ7r

2.-It will show this

https://imgur.com/gallery/v0Ai279

3.- Use the command "cd" to change to your GZDoom directory, since I use LZDoom I'll cd to said directory

https://imgur.com/gallery/rmUbCXn

4.- Type the source port name and press Tab until you see the .exe extension, then press the spacebar and add the "-file" parameter followed by the name of the wads or mods

https://imgur.com/gallery/f33vlf2

5.- Press enter and it will ask you to choose an Iwad

https://imgur.com/gallery/GpoyEh6

6.- Pick the corresponding Iwad depending on the game, whether it be Doom 2, Doom 1, Heretic, HeXen, etc. Then it will load the iwad with the corresponding mods.

7.- Have fun

Why do I feel that a video should be done for an easier explanation? Idk...call it "Starting GZDoom for dummies" or something? 

I'd do it for sure.

On 10/20/2021 at 7:44 PM, TheMagicMushroomMan said:

Can you at least provide us with your file hierarchy? Screenshots?

Sorry I can only reply so many times per day. What is file hierarchy?

4 hours ago, SlippySlipper said:

Sorry I can only reply so many times per day. What is file hierarchy?

Your folder structure in Windows Explorer.

You will soon be able to respond whenever. (Possibly now.)

@SlippySlipper The very first thing you need to figure out is what IWAD the PWAD you're trying to load was made with. This can be quickly discerned by checking out the WAD's txt file or in the information they posted on the thread if that's where you got the PWAD from. When you drag it onto GZDoom, simply run the IWAD it corresponds to (Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT). The reason why mappers will use different IWADs at times is because they want to use specific texture sets at times.

If the WAD you want to play doesn't show up immediately upon starting, this means the mapper designated the PWAD to a certain map slot that you can also find from looking at the PWAD's txt file where they will usually note which map slot it may be for. PWADs made for Doom 1 will usually say something like "E1M4" and those made for Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT will simply say something like, "MAP01" or whatever. After you've figured out what map the PWAD runs on, start the game as normal (choosing your difficulty and such) then type eg. "MAP E1M4" or "MAP MAP18" into the console using the tilde key and then press enter.

Here, I've made a video for you:

Alternatively, you can use a Launcher, but this how you can do it using drag n' drop and console commands.

Edited by Biodegradable

12 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

@SlippySlipper The very first thing you need to figure out is what IWAD the PWAD you're trying to load was made with. This can be quickly discerned by checking out the WAD's txt file or in the information they posted on the thread if that's where you got the PWAD from. When you drag it onto GZDoom, simply run the IWAD it corresponds to (Doom, Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT). The reason why mappers will use different IWADs at times is because they want to use specific texture sets at times.

If the WAD you want to play doesn't show up immediately upon starting, this means the mapper designated the PWAD to a certain map slot that you can also find from looking at the PWAD's txt file where they will usually note which map slot it may be for. PWADs made for Doom 1 will usually say something like "E1M4" and those made for Doom 2, Plutonia or TNT will simply say something like, "MAP01" or whatever. After you've figured out what map the PWAD runs on, start the game as normal (choosing your difficulty and such) then type eg. "MAP E1M4" or "MAP MAP18" into the console using the tilde key and then press enter.

Here, I've made a video for you:

Alternatively, you can use a Launcher, but this how you can do it using drag n' drop and console commands.

Thank you soooo much!!! 

13 minutes ago, SlippySlipper said:

Still can't run Tartarus for whatever reason. Not that I'm ready for it lol

Then what is going on? Please describe what you are doing, we cant imagine it.

Here's a tiny tutorial showing the "Drag-n-drop" method and creating batch files

Hope you find it useful :)

2 hours ago, Redneckerz said:

Then what is going on? Please describe what you are doing, we cant imagine it.

So I click and drag Tartaurus.WAD onto Gzdoom.exe and click doom 2 when it asks which Game to play. It comes up and just runs doom 2 as usual.

Sorry I can't describe much when it comes to computer lingo

16 hours ago, Biodegradable said:

then type "MAP E1M4" or "MAP MAP18" into the console using the tilde key and then press enter.

@SlippySlipper 'listmaps' is a useful command to know too - on the rare occasion where you don't already know what slot a map is on, or when an author doesn't specify the map slot, or if the readme is missing - it can really be useful.

Just type 'listmaps' in the GZDOOM console, and you should see the slot that the pwad is on. Then just follow what Bio had said. :)

10 hours ago, SlippySlipper said:

So I click and drag Tartaurus.WAD onto Gzdoom.exe and click doom 2 when it asks which Game to play. It comes up and just runs doom 2 as usual.

Sorry I can't describe much when it comes to computer lingo

I just did the thing you are describing. I utilized a freshly downloaded build of the latest GZDoom 4.7.1. I added Doom 2.wad to the GZDoom folder, then dragged Tartarus.wad to GZDoom.exe.

This is my folder structure:

WoYVzv3.png

I drag (Hold Left mouse button on Taratu5.wad) Taratu5.wad over GZDoom.exe. It should then display a highlight: ''Open with GZDoom g4.7.1.  Release the left mouse button. GZDoom opens.

The result is Dark Tartarus.

• Why are you clicking on Doom 2 (Assuming Doom.2.wad)?
  • What GZDoom version are you using?

It's working now! Turns out tartaurus doesn't have a different start screen. All I had to do was hit new game, select the difficulty and everything worked.