Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SoulHound

Random Question for Map Makers...

When you create a map that uses custom music to replace the standard Doom/Doom II music for that map slot, do you guys usually make the map first, and then add the music later? Or do you make the map with the intention to use the music choice from the start? Does it depend? Which way do you do it and why?
I'm curious to hear everyone's opinions and thought processes.

For me it really depends. Sometimes I have an idea of a map and midi, some concept and some soundtrack that just have to go together. Other times I think, "people might complain if I keep Doom 2 music, better figure something out"

Other times I'll listen to a midi and enjoy what it provokes so much that I'll get mapping.

most of the time i just listen to music or sound effects, then i get an idea for a map right afterwards. then of course i use said music in my wad.

sometimes though i have a neat idea for a map and then i think of a song to go in it

Map comes first. But very soon after completing the first area or so, I choose music, at least something that I don’t have to listen to D_RUNNIN. With my latest map for the Solar Struggle CP, I chose a catchy, fast-paced track from Mega Man 9 (which I eventually replaced with something else when the map was completed) and I think that steered how the map (or, rather the gameplay) would shape up to be: more intense combat, little less exploration and gloomy atmosphere.

Edited by RHhe82

If I have a map idea already made in my mind, then I choose a music track right away & put it before starting mapping.

If not, then after I create the first area & get the general idea of what map is gonna be, then it becomes easier to choose the track.

I add music when the map is done, because listening it all the time while checking how every change looks in-game would make me hate that track

I generally add the music after the map is done, but I am considering doing it the other way around one of these days to see what happens.

When I open up the map editor I simply just start mapping. The hardest bit is the starting area. As I add to the map I imagine areas in my mind and then add those areas. I then imagine new areas in which I can interconnect to other areas. I rarely design drafts of maps on paper. I will compose the music for the map usually before or during construction of the map, but sometimes afterwards.

When I make a map, I usually add the track first. The only reason why so early is so I don't have to listen to D_RUNNIN (or D_E1M1) everytime I test my map. I even listen to it when I build my map (Not D_RUNNIN but the track I want to use in my map. Listening to D_RUNNIN for 6 hours straight would be torture. Did you know I hate D_RUNNIN?), it gives me ideas on how to set the tone of that map, like placing more gore whenever something unsettling plays in the back.

Map first, music after for me. Thing is, I tend to listen to music while mapping and, eventually, a fitting song/midi will fit heh

Map first, try to find a music later.

I do have a pair of great midis waiting the right opportunity and mindset to make a good map for them, but eh. Feels weird to try and focus your creativity towards the feelings of a music, instead of letting things roll free. That's just me though.

I pick out a music choice about ten minutes into making a map.

I find it important that you find music that will best compliment the energy or atmosphere you're going for, and keep building the map around it.