Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyborggeffien

CHJBombay Episode 1 (update 05-18-2022)

Here is a Doom Mod that is made specifically for GZDoom and Free Doom Phase 2. It has nine normal levels and no secret levels. Below are screenshots from the mod - one from each level.

YpOmCNp.png

tAFnW7L.png

kWTeJiC.png

bBzRRcC.png

3HM75X3.png

PgfZ1DL.png

pHrzMVN.png

rYz6jff.png

NrJYI1O.png

Mod tested in: LZDoom v3.8.8. It is also designed for GZDoom.

Map Format: UDMF

IWAD: Freedoom v0.12

Map Numbers: MAP01-MAP09

Combability:

• Freelook should be turned on
  • Dynamic Lighting is used throughout the mod, so Hardware Rendering should be used

New textures?: A few.

Gameplay style?: Run and Gun.

The name of the mod is CHJ Bombay Episode 1. I started on this project back in 2010. In 2020 I decided to revamp the levels from the first episode and release them.

May 18, 2022: This mod is still a work in progress. Therefore I will not be uploading it to the idgames archive until it is considered complete. Some monsters are in ambush positions, or they will teleport into the area when an item is collected, a room is entered, etc. Large groups of monsters have been removed in MAP06 and MAP07. There are some other changes in this mod too.

Please give me feedback on this mod. Thanks in advance!

Work in progress on Mediafire: https://www.mediafire.com/file/md6gpll89ymyvr6/CHJBMBYE1.zip/file

Edited by Cyborggeffien : Updated CHJBombay Mod, WIP on Mediafire

I tested CHJBombay Episode 1 chjbmbye1.wad with LZDoom on Unholy Massacre, I did not complete the WAD. After completing MAP01 on Bring on the Pain, I increased the difficulty to Unholy Massacre, and I was able to complete MAP01 - MAP06. Long story short, these maps are not complete. Large sized maps that are very empty. Health & Ammo items all over each map. Enemies are not able to attack you, because enemies appear to be stuck within invisible boundaries. The green water pools that are full of enemies present no challenge to the player. I see a large amounts of "copy and paste" areas in the maps. Every map actually plays the same. I wanted this WAD to succeed, but I only see repetitive design. These maps were designed for either coop gameplay or certain DOOM2 mods.

I have made some improvements to the levels. The invisible boundaries have been removed. The slime pits are still there however the monsters have been removed. Some decorative items have been added. Dynamic lighting has been added in some of the areas, particularly with lamp and some burning barrel objects. I also added four new monsters types into the mod. This reply may be a little late, and I'm close to releasing the improved project.

CHJBombay Episode 1 has an update. Changes include:

• Dynamic Lighting in some of the levels
  • Four new monster types
  • The "Invisible Boundaries" in the levels blocking monsters from reaching the player have been removed

Link to original thread: 

Merged.

Rule of thumb: post in your existing thread instead of starting new threads to announce updates. Exceptions are rare; like, when a WIP, dev, or announcement thread becomes a full release, it can be good to start a new thread for the proper release.  

I completed Maps 1 - 5 in CHJBombay1 with LZDoom on Extreme Carnage. This Freedoom mod plays about the same as before. Removing the invisible monster boundaries in the map has improved the gameplay of the maps. Adding the new enemies has increased the difficulty of the map. These enemies are overall unbalanced, because of faster attack speeds, and harder to shoot hit boxes. Imagine chaingunners with more health, throws bombs, and are not stunned by the chaingun. I do like the level layout of the maps. I prefer larger levels that do not need to be very detailed. My recommendations, spread enemies throughout the maps instead of 1 large area in the maps. Place enemies in ambush locations instead of out in the open. Enemies that search for the player in a large area will eventually meet in the same spot if there are not obstacles blocking the enemies.

May 18, 2022: This mod is still a work in progress. Therefore I will not be uploading it to the idgames archive until it is considered complete. Some monsters are in ambush positions, or they will teleport into the area when an item is collected, a room is entered, etc. Large groups of monsters have been removed in MAP06 and MAP07. There are some other changes in this mod too.

Link on Mediafire: https://www.mediafire.com/file/md6gpll89ymyvr6/CHJBMBYE1.zip/file

This is probably the 4th time I have tested CHJBombay MAP01 - MAP06. My eyes have seen enough of these maps. The only difference I noticed with the maps with the latest patch would be monster placement, and number of enemies in each map. If you want me to edit a map in CHJBombay to show you how a DOOM map should play, let me know. You have been working on this project for a long time, I do not want to see you to travelling in circles for years in a hot desert.

At FireWarden1000: I think it may be a good idea to edit a map in CHJBombay to show me how a DooM map should play. It may give me an idea on how I should edit maps in the future.

The overall map layouts in CHJBombay are believable, and well designed. Actually, the map layouts are much better than the maps I have tested since I started using the Doomworld forums. You are losing in the gameplay department, because all of the enemies are always out in the open. Give me at least 1 - 2 weeks to build a playable map. I would say at least 4 - 8 hours of map development should be enough for 1 map.

I'm about to throw in the towel on the CHJBombay MAP01 redesign, because there is way too much open space in each area of the map. To build a real DOOM map, I need to add details to each area of the map, otherwise the map will be very empty, and not complete. I do not have a story line either, that means I have to build each area from scratch. I am only going to build the first half of MAP01 in CHJBombay. I will let you know when I am done with the map, I would say at least 2 more weeks of development.

Thank you for your advice, time and effort, but yours and my playing styles are very different. I think it is a good idea to leave the mod the way it is.

Okay, I will close down the project. I will use the remaining map designs for the CHJBombay-TEST project for other projects I have planned. If I were to build MAP01 in CHJBOMBAY 100%, I would estimate at least 30 Hours of map development to complete the development of the map. Not 8 Hours as I said before. I had to build a carbon copy of MAP01 using Eureka DOOM Editor, because CHJBombay is packaged in a PK3 file. If I made adjustments to the map size of MAP01, the map will not resemble MAP01 in CHJBombay, and will be a completely different map. If you change your mind or need help with any other projects, you can always reach out to me.