Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
magikal

Realism or Surrealism?

Realism or Surrealism? What type of design do you prefer in map style?
Or doesn't it really matter as long as it plays well?

Both.

I love real feeling places, believable bases, buildings and streets etc. In fact, they are probably my favourite kind of map. Something with a good hard logic to hang on to. Something that gives the enemies a reason to be there. Something about the texture use/ object placement/ whatever that just says this place could be functional.

Surreal, when done well is very good too though. A cohesive logic, even if it's an illogical logic (if you know what I mean) needs to be present IMO, but a good surreal map can be great fun.

Most of the time, I'd want to sit down and play a "realistic" map or mod, but sometimes a surreal map fits the bill perfectly.

Oh yeah, and has your avatar always blinked magikal? First time I noticed it. Creepy.

Surreal may apply to some maps, but these have to be truly and puposely strange in the way they combine textures and architecture. Like using distorted proportions and mismatching combinations that yet somehow work out... maybe some of Sandy Petersen's maps are somewhat "surreal" because he tends to defy rational themes. But a hellish or weird theme isn't necessarily surreal. Many maps can have unreal qualities without being surreal, as surreal isn't described by a theme but by a development style.

Surreal. I loved Quake's complete disregard for the laws of physics, the designers just went "it would be cool if we had *...*"

Most FPS games set in a modern reality suck. They are not not all that much fun.

Semi-realism.
Total realism sucks, but surrealism sucks too.

Hmm...
Realism is OK, if used in small doses (this is Doom we're talking about, no Counter Strike) but most of the time I prefer surrealism. Altier6 is a good example of semi-realism. So I guess all three styles work for me.

I prefer things to be at least somewhat believable as far as being a place.

I am not a big fan of following a specific theme. Themes get in the way of creative editing to me anyway.

My focus has always been on gameplay.

Enjay said:

Oh yeah, and has your avatar always blinked magikal? First time I noticed it. Creepy.

Just for the last month or so. Somebody else uses the same avatar so I subtley changed it.
I like both real and surreal if done well, but ultimately prefer surreal.

I like realism but not too much of it. Surrealism rules but only when done well, like in Unreal 2, some Quake III maps, Halo, and countless others.

I love surrealism. I especially love seeing realism morph to surrealism with little or no warning. Alice in Wonderland is a wonderful example of that. Or really, just Alice. Kingdom Hearts for the PS2 did that in several places. It's hard to pull off with an FPS, though, 'cos they're very goal-oriented, instead of environment-oriented. I just like screwing with people's heads.

DC

I love surrealism, if done with style. Thats why I love most of Doom2's levels. I give my own levels a gothic/SP_ROCK theme while going crazy with the editor and building whatever I imagine, ap_004 for example.

I like realism more than surrealism. I try and look for realistic maps and/or mods on a lot of FTP sites. Most realistic maps suck, but there are a few exceptions.

I've always thought about making a map or part of a map inverted, i.e. ceiling is the floor, all sprites except monsters are upside down and on the top, all textures flipped upside down, and maybe even the sky on the bottom. I'm sure if it was done right, something like that can really play with your mind.

Ichor said:

I've always thought about making a map or part of a map inverted, i.e. ceiling is the floor, all sprites except monsters are upside down and on the top, all textures flipped upside down, and maybe even the sky on the bottom. I'm sure if it was done right, something like that can really play with your mind.

I thought of doing that too, except just the layout of the level. I tried to convert e1m1 upside down, but I gave up.

then I played AV and saw that one map has like a "mirror" in which one half of the map is a flipped verision of the other..

I've thought about that too. Kind of a Castlevania thing. Clear the level right-side-up, then go through the upside-down version. :)

nobbjob said:

I love surrealism, if done with style. Thats why I love most of Doom2's levels.

That's exactly how I feel too.

I like alot of Surrealism, with a slight mixture of Realism. Usually when I map I aim for that, so the player can go in a surreal place (I usually tend to make hell levels), but I want them to have an odd feel, as though they could actually be there. I find that when I've had people test my levels (Deathman being one of them, and Elbryan42 has played 2 Demo levels from Dark Nexus, my project), it seems to get a good response.

surreal > realistic

...since DooM is a surreal game IMO (that´s one of the reasons why I love DooM).

Ichor said:

There is indeed an inverted version of E1M1.

My ideal megawad would have one episode of harsh realism, one of transition, and one surreal.

In a single map, I think it's important to choose one, I think both can be done well but surrealism by it's nature is much harder. Having said that, given Doom's limits, exceptional realism is very difficult effort-wise and usually requires thousands of sectors!

Sometimes it's nice if a well-hidden and well-rewarded secret teleports you to a place that is in total contrast to the map and feels like a different world. Best example off the top of my head is the area you get to in Alien Vendetta map 15 where the secret exit is located. The secret level is then themed in the same surreal way. Accomplished, exciting and rewarding.

Oh yes, Killer Colours!

* myk falls to his knees before Gemini and Ebola

pritch said:

My ideal megawad would have one episode of harsh realism, one of transition, and one surreal.

Um, I beleve its allready been done as Doom episode 1, 2 & 3.

:)

myk said:

Oh yes, Killer Colours!

* myk falls to his knees before Gemini and Ebola

yeah, that is crazy.
surreal levels make the demons seem more dangerous, that they exist in a world that doesn't make sense to humans.

plus they are more fun when high..

In general, I'd prefer realism (because not all surrealism is created equal). But I prefer the hellish style over realism. I also like levels where realism and hell are present simultaneously. You know, the decrepit, demon-infested base, but much more demonic than the E2 levels besides E2M8. E1M8 of 2002: ADO (Paradox) is the case in point. The flesh and red motif breaking into the steel and concrete creates an eerie setting. The level gets more and more hellish towards the end. I love it.

While realism has an undisputed place in a world such as one rendered in any of the Doom saga, it would not be the same without a sense of surrealism in the surroundings. As said by many here already, both mixed together equally (or as the situation would deem apropriate) would be a sucessful venture.