Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
frwl

small questions...

1. according to DeePsea's Help file thing, you can put MP3s into a wad that will play in zdoom. soooooo... how? I know how to put MIDIs in, but that doesn't seem to be the case with MP3.

2. The past two WADs I made I uploaded to the ftp the way I have done in the past, and my ftp client told me that everything made it ok, but my wads didn't make it into the Newstuff, and it didn't say anything about my files in REJECTS, so, has something changed or something?

Well if you have putted .mp3 in your wad you can't upload to newstuff, it's a rule and songs have copyrights. I think it's ok if YOU make the song and encode it in .ogg format.

no mp3s? kinda sucky, since the file limit is 49.99 MB and it should be legal if full credits were given to the makers of the MP3... but I have a friend who might let me upload to his site... in exchange for a few RPGMaker2000 maps.

anyways, new DeePsea Q.
how do you set the friction ammoutns for iced sectors? I can set them to act like very slippery ice (not that MBF kind of slippery, but it is pretty fun to slide for a few miles on a sector, lol), but how do I get the friction above 100, ie. Sluge?

and why isn't there gravity effects in zdoom? I made an iced and very steep "ramp" as an experement, and it acts like it is iced, and sloped, but you can't slide down it. Am I the only one who thinks this should be in the next version?

For "sludge", you actually set the friction below 100, not above. This number is not true friction, it seems to represent more resistance to motion when it's below 100, and more sliding action when it's above 100. In DeePsea, right click on the line you are using to set friction of a tagged sector, see the Hexen args with tag number and friction amount...put the number there.

Zdoom handles slopes pretty much like level floors, with slopes up to but not including 45 degrees acting as level, you can walk up and down, or slide up and down, but you don't speed up when sliding down nor do you slow down when sliding up when "friction" is at 200. When the slope is 45 degrees or more, you cannot walk up it and you will be unable to prevent yourself from sliding down.

I think you have an interesting idea, don't know how much trouble it would be to have icy ramps make you slide down...why don't you post that idea on the zdoom forums?

1. dude, you fricking rule. saying the word Hexen reminded me that I was working with the ZDOOM project file and not the ZDOOMHEXEN file. nowonder I was having a hard time! thanx!

2. I guess I was the first one to think of the icy ramp thing in doom. what an honor i guess. anyways, I will bring it to Zdoom's attention. then if they do it, I will make a "skiing" level!

EDIT: well shit... I just downloaded the newest ZDAEMON and it screwed my Zdoom all together. great, now I get to use the next half hour downloading more stuff...

EDIT2: ok, got everything working again...
click here to see a "slippery slope" effect I made. while I might have gone overboard on the values of stuff, the effect should still be noticeable. so, what do you think?

A nice effect, but I think there may be a better way to do it. Without checking the editor, I think you have used the wind style pusher to throw you through the various sectors, regardless of whether you are on the floor or not. I noticed that jumping up in the air, I was still pushed down the slope even though I wasn't on it.

It is possible to set up the scrolling floor line type to scroll the floor, and carry any objects on it without the flat on the floor actually being moved (ie the flat itself isn't scrolled, so the sector looks normal). This might be more effective as you would only "slip" when on the floor.

From memory, you use a line type 223 and set arg 2 to 4 and arg 3 to 1 (arg 1 is the sector tag). I *think* you can use args 4 and 5 to set the x and y scroll directions and speed, or leave them at 0 and use the line direction and length to do it instead.

I don't suppose this would make it truly slippy (although you could probably do that as well) but I think it would be hard to spot the difference without opening an editor and checking the map.

I think your way is better. it does give one the "slipping" fealing, although the only problem with it in that map is that DoomGuy likes to grab the walls and slow himself down. well, I will probably use that effect in my next wad, and yall will get credit in it!