Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
xdude_gamer

Doom 3 in Doom 2?

Has anyone ever remade Doom 3 in the idtech1/Doom engine? I've seen Doom 4 (which is, to my knowledge, Doom 2016 in Doom 2) and Doom 64 in Doom 2, but no Doom 3. It'd be an interestingly made piece of WAD magic if it existed.

One of the DBPs - I think it was called fear and loathing - was heavily Doom3 inspired. It’s the only thing that comes to mind.. There was a proof-of-concept was I saw 10ish years ago that successfully ported the first 10-15 minutes of Doom3 into Doom2 using ZDoom for stuff like slopes and dialogue, but I don’t know if it ever progressed beyond that.

Legacy of Suffering is inspired by Doom 3, and has tons of textures from it, too.
But the gameplay is quite different, focusing more on individual closed encounters and wave style.
It has bosses and tons of script for a heavy narrative experience with lots of especial effects.

As there are lots of narrative elements on Doom 3, the best way to achieve something like Doom 3 on Doom2 would be to use some Strife style dialoge tree to recreate it.
But since it needs lots of scripting, its better focus on a complete new game with similar features than a port, well that is what i would do if it was me who had the option to do it.

One of the WMC was inspired by Doom 3, too.

2 hours ago, xdude_gamer said:

I've seen Doom 4 (which is, to my knowledge, Doom 2016 in Doom 2)

Are you talking about the gameplay mods D4V and Death Foretold and some other that i don't remember the name?
Or is there a map per map recreation of Doom 2016 that i don't know about?

Edited by P41R47

I’ve toyed with the idea of a vanilla* Doom 3 for Doom 2 wad like D64D2 for a while now but simply don’t have the time to do it. I think it would be an awesome project and, while it would have to obviously be less faithful to the original levels than D64D2 was, I think it would be possible.

*Some sort of MAPINFO would probably be required because of the back and forth between hell and Mars, but I think just about every port besides Chocolate supports one now.

I was planning to start a Community Project related to this idea, but I wasn't planning to start it without any maps remade by myself, plus I had to make some dehacked patch to add Doom 3 monsters (few of them).

One guy have tried such project many years ago, he even posted some screenshots, but he lost interest in this plus he never uploaded his WADs (sadly).

ATvDVhDuJSY.jpg?size=640x480&quality=96&

I know for sure, the Doom3.wad must be started right at the moment when scientiest turned into a zombie. The intro map aka Mars City level can't fit the vanilla Doom project as the very first map. But it would be good as map02, already infested by demons and zombies.

30 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

I was planning to start a Community Project related to this idea, but I wasn't planning to start it without any maps remade by myself, plus I had to make some dehacked patch to add Doom 3 monsters (few of them).

One guy have tried such project many years ago, he even posted some screenshots, but he lost interest in this plus he never uploaded his WADs (sadly).

ATvDVhDuJSY.jpg?size=640x480&quality=96&

I know for sure, the Doom3.wad must be started right at the moment when scientiest turned into a zombie. The intro map aka Mars City level can't fit the vanilla Doom project as the very first map. But it would be good as map02, already infested by demons and zombies.

in fact, it can be done as a little introductory map with some scientist draw like mid textures. They don't need to be sprites if you only see them a few seconds from an especific angle.
Then when reaching the point of hell unleashing, use a linedef that changes the displayed texture for those midtexture scientist into corpses or something else...
It can be done properly.
Someone just need to jump in and lead it with clever ideas to pull it out.

I was working on a wad for this also! I donno if anyone had a chance to see progress shots, but i lost a hdd during this process and again, sadly, never got a chance to release it.. :(

There's actually a lot to be said about D3 and D2 transitions, conventions.

It seems it's been a tough time trying to make this shit happen lol.

~ To some it shouldn't happen, but to some, it might be pretty cool, if done right.. 

Edited by Mr.Rocket

26 minutes ago, P41R47 said:

in fact, it can be done as a little introductory map with some scientist draw like mid textures. They don't need to be sprites if you only see them a few seconds from an especific angle.
Then when reaching the point of hell unleashing, use a linedef that changes the displayed texture for those midtexture scientist into corpses or something else...
It can be done properly.

I have to disagree. The main rule of vanilla Doom is instant action. Running between scientists in Vanilla Doom without shooting demons - a bad, counterintuitive idea. Of course we can implement them and make a "silent" map even in Vanilla format, but this is not what could happen if id Software did a Doom 3.wad

The whole story about walking in Mars City and taking orders by the Sergeant must be written in .txt near the .exe/.wad file.

But I can agree with 1 thing - all of us, who is interested in this project - must cooperate to finally finish this conversion.

Moebius remade Mars City in Doom 2 for GZDoom. I imagine it would be an absolutely colossal undertaking to recreate the rest of the game with the same amount of detail they put into it.

38 minutes ago, Dexiaz said:

I have to disagree. The main rule of vanilla Doom is instant action. Running between scientists in Vanilla Doom without shooting demons - a bad, counterintuitive idea. Of course we can implement them and make a "silent" map even in Vanilla format, but this is not what could happen if id Software did a Doom 3.wad

The whole story about walking in Mars City and taking orders by the Sergeant must be written in .txt near the .exe/.wad file.

But I can agree with 1 thing - all of us, who is interested in this project - must cooperate to finally finish this conversion.

ah, i understand what you said before now.

IF it was made by Id, yes it would start after the zombification.

But well, a first part of the map with no monster at all, and midtexture scientist looked from a distance sounds totally inmersive and fitting.
Even midtexture dialogue, like Scypek2 did on Three's a Crowd could be useful.
There are plenty of vanilla trickery that could be exploited for great effects.
And then when reaching certain point, populate the map with demons through teleport could be interesting.

Using the D4V for this could be interesting, too.
It totally deserves a mapset for those monsters.

32 Inch Nails is a 7 level PWAD that is Doom 3 inspired (it uses RoE graphics for the title and intermission screens as well) and has combat encounters and spaces that are reminiscent of that game, feeling dark and creepy. Though I must warn MAP05 is a huge deviation from the formula and is a slaughtermap with 2000 monsters that took me two hours to do and it wasn't that great.

1 hour ago, P41R47 said:

Using the D4V for this could be interesting, too.
It totally deserves a mapset for those monsters.

Nah, save that for the eventual remake of Doom 2016 in vanilla Doom II. 😎

18 hours ago, P41R47 said:

Legacy of Suffering is inspired by Doom 3, and has tons of textures from it, too.
But the gameplay is quite different, focusing more on individual closed encounters and wave style.
It has bosses and tons of script for a heavy narrative experience with lots of especial effects.

As there are lots of narrative elements on Doom 3, the best way to achieve something like Doom 3 on Doom2 would be to use some Strife style dialoge tree to recreate it.
But since it needs lots of scripting, its better focus on a complete new game with similar features than a port, well that is what i would do if it was me who had the option to do it.

One of the WMC was inspired by Doom 3, too.

Are you talking about the gameplay mods D4V and Death Foretold and some other that i don't remember the name?
Or is there a map per map recreation of Doom 2016 that i don't know about?

D4V, yes.

What about the project that replaced all the enemy sprites with their Doom 3 equivalents? It's been a few years and now I can't find it.