Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Karsios

Community project: Dante's journey

Just now, magicsofa said:

Even though it is possible to enable and disable these features on a map-to-map basis, you should have a really good reason if you make use of it, and chances are your best reason is still not good enough. Switching between jumping and no jumping in the middle of gameplay is a massive difference for the player, which could really bust the immersion, especially if there was a message about it. For a thematic set of maps that are supposed to have continuity, it is expected that there will either be jumping or no jumping throughout the whole experience.

I don't think jumping and crouch should really be allowed. Isn't Dante's stuff all about going up stairs and down hills all the time?

Is the maps being a circle a requirement or is it more of a preference or recommendation?

5 hours ago, MrTAD said:

Is the maps being a circle a requirement or is it more of a preference or recommendation?

must

On 10/24/2021 at 1:01 AM, Karsios said:

Hell is described as a cone shaped caver composed by 9 circles, Purgatory is a terraced mountain (some sort of circles) and heaven as celestial spheres (more circles). So... each map must be circumscribed in a circle (take a look to Sunlust map 28 as an example).

44 minutes ago, Karsios said:

must

So would that also mean Map01 would be affected by this or is that fine without?

I have finished designing it and I want to know if there's anything else I'd need to change about it before I send it in.

Edited by MrTAD

54 minutes ago, MrTAD said:

So would that also mean Map01 would be affected by this or is that fine without? 

I have finished designing it and I want to know if there's anything else I'd need to change about it before I send it in. 

Map 01 (The forest of error) and... also map 11 (purgatory's gate) needn't to follow the "circumscribed in a circle" rule since they aren't hell circle, purgatory terrace or celestial sphere.

For future appointments, please reclaim your slot first before mapping.

Also I'll write you what I've sent by PM: Don't post the map or screenshots until it gets greenlighted by me and a playtester. In general I won't reject a map as long as an honest effort has been made.

3 minutes ago, Karsios said:

For future appointments, please reclaim your slot first before mapping.

Yeah, my bad. I started it after the project idea went out and I got completely lost in it.

12 hours ago, magicsofa said:

Even though it is possible to enable and disable these features on a map-to-map basis, you should have a really good reason if you make use of it, and chances are your best reason is still not good enough. Switching between jumping and no jumping in the middle of gameplay is a massive difference for the player, which could really bust the immersion, especially if there was a message about it. For a thematic set of maps that are supposed to have continuity, it is expected that there will either be jumping or no jumping throughout the whole experience.

Meanwhile I totally agree with you I definitely won't force "jumping allowed" because some mappers (including myself) won't design the map thinking about it. In fact, it will be disabled by default unless the mapper motivates it. But I also don't want to restrict the possibility in case a mapper bring up a nice map where jumping is required in an interesting way, so this is up to the mapper.

You don't have to agree with me, it's your project. But if you are not going to pick one or the other, that means you don't agree. My position as a veteran player, mapper, and harsh but fair critic is that this kind of rule-switching mid game is unacceptable. If you had some very specific reason for it - like, jumping is enabled most of the time, but there's one level that is supposed to be a giant magnet that the player is stuck to - then it might be forgivable. Even then, I would be asking, why did they need this magnet level? Does it really add to the experience? More importantly, does it add so much to the experience that I don't mind being given a jump button and then have it taken away from me? As a player this is very annoying. Again, it's your project, you can do whatever you want. I'm just trying to warn you that this idea will be heavily ridiculed by any serious reviewer and most casual players too. It would be even worse to have no jumping allowed, and then suddenly one random map requires you to jump, with no explanation other than "we didn't want to have to think about it." I know I'm kinda playing project-police here, so let me reiterate that you don't need to listen to me at all. However, if you go forward with this then you should expect lots of reviews that say "Jumping and then no jumping? WTF?"