Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nicolas monti

Cyberpunx: episode for doom2 finished and on idgames!

20 hours ago, Ryath (aka scwiba) said:

Figured I'd post this here since it includes a short review of Cyberpunx: I wrote a bit about five of your shorter wads from the last few years.

Thanks a lot for the care put on the wads, I didn't even know you were the guy of the other alpha's reviews.

I'm aware that many people do not enjoy my maps while others like them a lot, it surely has to do with something else than doom, a nostalgic feeling or some particular taste for irregular shapes.

One thing for sure. Amalthea with all its possible flaws it's my best wad. I feel it that way. If I try to replicate it I'll fail, there are things that happen once.

I'll take a break from mapping until I feel the urge to map again :)

Edited by nicolas monti

I'm always late lately heh but at least I can remedy to it. Fdas and some 2nd attempt recorded on dsda-Doom with cl2 cyberpnx_gaspe_fdas.zip

Had a lot of fun and I finished with saves the map I couldn't beat in the demos. I liked those electrical devices that damage you, adding and interesting hazard to the usual damaging liquids and I thought it was a very nice visual touch to have some lifts with midtextures on the sides and not just covered by walls like usual.

MAP01: It introduces some features that will be prominent in the next maps too, like the electric hazards and most importantly the cramped combats which imo are the defining style of this set. The generous barrels were appreciated to allievate a bit the difficulty in some parts.

MAP02: Couldn't miss the classic city-esque level. Not a fan of those HKs near the lifts inside the last building you have to visit, it felt too cheap against the player.

MAP03: I liked the somehow creepy atmosphere, and the alpha textures really shine to create this feeling of "something went wrong" with the mix of Doomcute realistic details and gritty environments. The BK fight was my favourite, with that surprise teleport in case you think to roomsnearby the secret plasmagun are a safe place to use to camp.

MAP04: Another cool theme with locations that have a more realistic presention but put in the spooky and almost surreal forest of tech and pipes.  This one was nasty in particural because every outdoor area is divided by the brown damaging river so you always have a limited space to use. Didn't like so much the YK fight and the ambush in the "hotel room" where you open the exit since it's almost necessary that you prepare yourself with the right weapon and right position in time if you want some chances of surviving.

MAP05: The demos aren't much worth to watch for this map because I didn't go so far. At first I tried to clean up the streets but it's very hard (you have to look for supplies while escaping the mastermind with monster roaming the streets and snipers from some buildings). Then I decided to try to explore some buildings before and it was working at first but you are fucked once you have to return outisde. I think it was an interesting suggestion to put the mastermind at the start because it spiced up what otherwise would have been to usual clean up of the street before starting to explore the buildings. It's also a very manageable map after you pass the start.

MAP06: Died in a stupid way think I could exploit that position. Funny start a bit different from the usual. Overall it's a very chill map and somehow a breather, apart the fight in the "restaurant".

MAP07: Solid gameplay, the RK is a very nasty fight and rather than the RL the SSG/CG work better. Visually the all grey-ash caves can look rather dull compared to the other maps.

MAP08: It looks very intimidating and it does a good job at being the climax of the wad. It's not as hard as I thought with a couple of moments that can be very troublesome. First at the right side of the start after you take the lift in the storage room and suddely you're facing few revs without cover, and then the RK trap that similar to some ambushes in MAP04 it falls too much into a trap where unless you have the right weapon ready you can't survive. The BK part is somehow easier if you advance carefully and anyway the traps are more forgiving, tho I killed the spiderdemon since it was giving me troubles to enter the area. For sure the most memorable part is the YK with the slaughter battle and I think the dechaked pinkies make a great job there, always appearing in front of you and blocking the way while the normal ones would likely make more easier to just circle strafe around.

MAP09: The opening fight is one of the hardest and more annoying in the wad. You can't afford to lose health to the electric hazards that cover most of the area while you have to avoid revs missiles and making sure that pinkies don't trap trap you. I found that hugging the walls worked rather well to reduce damage while going up and down, until finally I was able to pass. I was a bit bit baffled that I couldn't trigger the last fight without having to pick the soulsphere, I was already at 200% after finding a secret. The last fight was doable with some good old circle strafe while you let the cyberdemon everything, intervening only when the avs come in. It was okay as an ending.

Missed this release somehow! Still in the middle of Doom Island (which I'm loving) plus a few other WADs, but I'm looking forward to playing this!

On 12/30/2021 at 11:18 PM, nicolas monti said:

it surely has to do with something else than doom, a nostalgic feeling or some particular taste for irregular shapes.

All three for me, actually.

Between some of the midi selections and the way the levels look, it really puts me into a certain mood that is hard to describe, it feels like a childhood dream or a long lost memory.

Anyways, since I shared it already, there is an issue with M_DOOM on 4:3 aspect ratio (M_DOOM is too big and some letters get cut off). I made a patched version that simply scales down the M_DOOM resolution and adjusts offsets. It only includes the modified M_DOOM, no other files (so it requires, and has to be loaded after CYBERPNX.wad to work).

Here it is, alongside screenshots of the issue in Crispy Doom/ modified version for anyone that needs them.

As I said before, I take no credit for this modification since none of this content is mine, and it was simply a 5 minute job in SLADE, which hardly counts as any effort.

CYBERPNXM.zip

DOOM0000.png

DOOM0001.png