Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
bofu

Tips for taking attention-grabbing screenshots?

Question

My maps don't get a lot of notice or traction. The feedback I get from people who play them is really good, and I've been told they look good (at least for limit-removing, vanilla texture maps in Doom format), but I have trouble getting people to actually download them in the first place, and I think it has to do with the screenshots I take. In general terms, how do you take screenshots of your maps to catch people's attention? Even if a map was designed for limit-removing port compatibility, do you take screenshots in GZDoom or something? Do you focus on architecture, or do you focus on gameplay? Do you turn on freeze/noclip and move around the map freely?

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

5 answers to this question

I tend to go with a more cinematic approach with screenshots. To get the weapon out of the screen you can make the hud disappear (usually using the + button) and switch weapons, taking the screenshot in between the swap. Play through your map and find what areas you're most proud of be it with architecture or whatever. Spend some time finding a good angle that shows monsters, items, key elements of the environment, etc. I'd recommend using GZDoom for screenshots only if it's made for GZDoom or you just want to use mouse look in a screenshot. If you're using multiple screenshots to show off your map, make sure there's variety in them. If it's a mapset or megawad, make sure to show off a few different maps. If it's one map, make sure to show off distinct rooms and areas. Even have few with gameplay to show a general impression of the fights. If your map focuses on its architecture and visuals, maybe turn on no monsters for a screenshot and try to capture as much of it as possible (and make sure to disclose that no monsters was used). And the last thing, try to get the sky in at least a few shots, it just adds to the picture a whole lot especially if it's an impressive looking sky.

1 hour ago, Spineapple tea said:

To get the weapon out of the screen you can make the hud disappear (usually using the + button) and switch weapons, taking the screenshot in between the swap.

Or just set r_drawplayersprites to 0 if you're using (G)ZDoom.

In GZDoom I like to use console commands fly and freeze. The first one makes you fly, so you can take the pic from anywhere and the other stops everything, including projectiles. So if you want some action in the snap, you can freeze the moment and then see it from a different POV. You can even bind these to a key and use it instantly.

On 10/29/2021 at 9:08 AM, bofu said:

My maps don't get a lot of notice or traction. The feedback I get from people who play them is really good, and I've been told they look good (at least for limit-removing, vanilla texture maps in Doom format), but I have trouble getting people to actually download them in the first place, and I think it has to do with the screenshots I take.

Do you have any examples beyond the one thread on Doomworld? 

Checking that out, your screenshots are fine. They show good qualities like solid architectural craft, they show an identity, and they seem to hint at the gameplay style. The screenshots are huge. I'd shrink them a bit, maybe array them in a 2x2 grid. But apart from that they are fine. 

Your thread is a designated work in progress. Being a WIP will limit the audience to playtesters (a lot of people are looking more for finished projects). Threads like these rarely get much more attention than what you've received, which actually is a fair amount for a month. It's a fine thread imo.

If your project were an actual release, I'd suggest not leading with a big block of text. That is kind of the W&M equivalent of a story starting with nothing but infodump. Wads and Mods is a really busy place. 60 seconds of reading an OP to find out if you're interested might not seem like a lot, but scale that to someone scanning through 20-30 threads and yeah it's a ton.

Here's some good release OPs:

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/122115-megawad-tarnsmans-projectile-hell-rc2/

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/125529-wormwood-the-horror-boom-comp-halloween-maps-by-ribbiks-and-me/

Here's a good hefty one: 

https://www.doomworld.com/forum/topic/124224-uprising-megawad

The Uprising one also contains an important piece of wisdom. It should be easy for a reader to identify the gist of what your wad is. "Uprising is a narrative driven DOOM2 megawad ..." is right there very early. Notice how the gameplay changes, which is optional reading, are spoilered to save vertical space.

Again, your thread is fine, being a WIP -- but if you've been starting release threads like that somewhere else, it's worth changing it up.