Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Senor Cacodemon

GOG Or Steam

I already have all of the Doom games (besides rpg and stuff) on steam but I have heard a lot of people talk about getting specifically the doom franchise on gog rather than steam. Can anyone tell me why I hear a lot more people recommending gog more than steam when it comes to doom. (Maybe its just me hearing this idk)

If I had to hazard a guess, perhaps some people are having technical issues with running the Doomity port through Steam but aren't encountering that issue on GOG? But honestly, this is the first I'm hearing of such a thing, so I don't think anyone's mentioned anything like that here. Where did you hear this stuff?

The GOG versions are more consistent with the original releases, AFAIK. The Steam versions are mostly re-releases that altered the aesthetics or game-play.

I think this page speaks for itself.

The GOG versions of older games are more tailored to the end user to so that it can work without hassle, the Steam versions sometimes aren't and of course: no DRM !!

47 minutes ago, Senor Cacodemon said:

I already have all of the Doom games (besides rpg and stuff) on steam but I have heard a lot of people talk about getting specifically the doom franchise on gog rather than steam. Can anyone tell me why I hear a lot more people recommending gog more than steam when it comes to doom. (Maybe its just me hearing this idk)

No DRM, you can store and copy the Games as you wish.
You do not need a Launcher.

And as many said, many Games are patched or have some Work in them to run on modern Systems.

The GOG versions come with setup.exe and a few other files to make playing in DOS or DOSBox more complete. I don't believe GOG includes the Unity re-release, and all the extra DOS files can be downloaded elsewhere, though I don't recall where at the moment. I thought it was on doomshack.org but I can't find it now.

Mostly for their Free-DRM and more faithful release of the original product. (Some others games includes their original Manual digitilized.)

But if only to play, i like Steam more in my end, and also, the Iwads are still free DRM so you can boot it on any Sourceport.

I'll give you a better reason, Steam sucks. I recently reinstalled HL2 and even though I bought the game, have the disc in my hand w/CD key and everything I still need their permission to play it. I install it only to be told my CD key is being used by another account. Fast forward about three weeks later is when I finally get it resolved by Steam.

No other game company does this to their customers. They're so paranoid about someone stealing a game that's what 15 years old ?

In order for it to install you have to have a Steam account...period. There is no put the disc in, install it, put the CD key in and enjoy. Oh no mommy bear is watching to see if you follow all the rules.

The only reason I went through all that is it's my game, I bought it, I shouldn't need an account or their permission to install it and play it.

Gog doesn't have drm and patches old games that have compatibility issues on newer machines. They also give a bigger cut to developers than steam.

I believe GOG has the fixed version of TNT.wad. Other than that there’s not a much benefit to buying Doom there vs Steam seeing as you’ll likely just use a source port to play the game anyway.

GOG always.... no DRM, often better versions of the games, more compatible versions of the games

I have fallout new vegas and fallout 3 on both steam and gog and only the gog versions are working fully in windows 10

fallout 4 on steam seems to work fine though

12 minutes ago, Snaxalotl said:

Gog doesn't have drm and patches old games that have compatibility issues on newer machines. They also give a bigger cut to developers than steam.

gog for these reasons. no drm and better updated versions.

steam is bigger so it has more games, yeah. but when there are no big price differences it's clear where to buy.

In many cases I'd say GOG because no DRM, but in the case of Doom I went with Steam because I run Doom with source ports anyway (thus no DRM regardless of where I get it from) and I can connect the source ports to Steam and have Steam log my play time.  It really depends on what your preferences are and what you think of Steam as a whole (although I have some reservations about it, my experiences with Steam have so far been predominantly positive).

The DRM issue isn’t really relevant for Doom because you can use the iwads with whatever port you want. 

I believe the Steam version also includes both the modern version and the unaltered iwads so you can use whatever version you like.

2 hours ago, Gibbon said:

1. The packages are historically accurate instead of steam's patched versions. 

2. No DRM.

You haven't used Doom on Steam, have you? Because 1 is outright false and 2 is also true to the Steam version.

As far as Doom franchise is concerned, Steam is actually better.

• Doom
    Steam +: comes with the so-called Unity port, which allows to grab TNT and Plutonia for free. Original DOS Doom.exe and original untouched Doom.wad are still there, too.
  • Doom II
    GOG +: comes with Final Doom and the Master Levels in their original form
    Steam +: comes with the so-called Unity port, which means it also comes with Final Doom and No Rest for the Living, but in their official add-on form.
  • Final Doom:
    GOG +: bundled with Doom II instead of being a separate buy if you want the original version; distributed in the so-called "Anthology" version which has some bug fixes
  • Doom 64
    Steam +: the game is not at all on GOG
  • Doom 3
    Steam +: the original Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil is still around, while GOG only has the BFG Edition.
  • Doom (2016)
  • Doom Eternal

8 minutes ago, EANB said:

I believe the Steam version also includes both the modern version and the unaltered iwads so you can use whatever version you like. 

That's correct. I can't check right now, but I recall the original IWAD's are in the "base" folder of the UDoom/Doom 2 Steam install directory.

4 hours ago, DuckReconMajor said:

Do all the ports that check the Steam directory for IWADs also check GOG paths?

Basically they all do, if they look for install paths at all.

12 minutes ago, Midnight_00 said:

A lot of us just recommend GOG on principle over Steam because of the lack of DRM. If you just want to use source ports though, Steam is fine if you already have those versions. Doom 64 is DRM free on Steam by the way; go on the PC Gaming Wiki for details.

Wanted to add this to be fair:

Steam has Games without DRM, even if much less as Gog, it depends only on the Publisher.

Steam offers also good Services for me as a Customer.

From something simple as a Refund, Cloud saves, big Picture, in home streaming, development to make Windows Games run on Linux, the Money they take from Publishers serves also us as Customers well.

Gogs Galaxy Launcher has a nice Implementation for Libaries of other Stores.

I think both are good Stores and Customer Orientation.

Others out there aren't really.

1 hour ago, Edward850 said:

You haven't used Doom on Steam, have you? Because 1 is outright false and 2 is also true to the Steam version.

To me, an historically accurate package is the DOS binaries and dosbox.  Users can then put the WADs where they want to play in their source port of choice.

Since it comes with the Unity port, it isn't to me, a historical package.  Regardless of what is or isn't 'untouched'.  It also moans when trying to install on Linux/Mac Steam Windows games (even though Doom can be played on them) this is also a form of DRM.  Let me download what I want without telling me otherwise.

Now I know Doom64 is on Steam and you may support it for this reason, but Steam in principle is just DRM garbage and (being a GNU maintainer) I'll always go for the more free choice.  In this case, it is GOG.

1 hour ago, Gez said:

• Doom 3
    Steam +: the original Doom 3 + Resurrection of Evil is still around, while GOG only has the BFG Edition.
  • Doom (2016)
  • Doom Eternal

Thats true, of course. It will take some years for the newer Dooms to hit GOG, if at all. 

As one can see from the opinions here, most people aren't happy about drm, and prefer updated versions that work out of the box on modern systems. 

Regarding the classic doom games, I have them on both platforms AFAIK but I don't use the original exe anyway, just the iwads with ports. 

14 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

To me, an historically accurate package is the DOS binaries and dosbox.

Luckily, the Steam version has both!

When you launch Doom via the Steam client, it'll ask you to choose between Unity Doom or DOSBox Doom, so it's a win win.

19 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

To me, an historically accurate package is the DOS binaries and dosbox.  Users can then put the WADs where they want to play in their source port of choice.

Uhm. That's exactly what it provides.

image.png.53b7aea2feacf61e483f89f43b4930cc.png

Even the hashes match DOOM2.WAD DOOM2.EXE:

image.png.2f0db5e9cb8d3eaa1129a664db8d09a5.png

2 minutes ago, Edward850 said:

Uhm. That's exactly what it provides.

image.png.53b7aea2feacf61e483f89f43b4930cc.png

Good, but it's still from steam and thus to download it you have to pass through DRM.  My point 2.

You can't cherry pick.

11 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

Good, but it's still from steam and thus to download it you have to pass through DRM.  My point 2.

You can't cherry pick.

How is downloading from Steam any different from downloading from GOG? You have an account you need to log into, and then that login provide you with downloads. Where's the different part come in? The resulting downloads (of the DOS content explicitly, don't know what the Unity port does) aren't protected or encrypted in any way.

31 minutes ago, Gibbon said:

It also moans when trying to install on Linux/Mac Steam Windows games (even though Doom can be played on them) this is also a form of DRM.  Let me download what I want without telling me otherwise.

This isn't as well known, but the Steam Client and SteamCMD can download depots of any platform: 
https://www.reddit.com/r/Steam/comments/78b0ue/how_to_download_stuff_for_a_different_system_os/
https://developer.valvesoftware.com/wiki/SteamCMD#Cross-Platform_Installation

Edited by Edward850

I use Steam all the time. GOG sounds like it might be better sometimes. Steam has a bunch of background programs (RIP RAM) but it's perfectly fine most of the time.