Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
DemonicCrucibleFan

How do you think the Demonic Crucible would work on a Titan.

I don't think it would work, but it might. Not sure, but given how Samuel literally says "ONLY a slayer's crucible blade can stop a Titan", it's unlikely, since it seems like the Demonic Crucible is more of an energy storage/last ditch in case the attempts at corruption without the Crucible fail. 

I think it just inhibits demonic energy in some way, so once the blade is stuck, the Titan falls into a forced slumber, let's say. Because they don't die, apparently.

The Codex entry on The Crucible (Doom Eternal):

"A sacred relic of the Sentinel People, the Crucible remains one of the most mysterious artifacts known to man. Texts from Argent D'Nur reference the weapon in a revered, righteous manner; while Night Sentinels were known to employ similar energy-based blades in their armaments, the Crucible remains the only one powerful enough to reportedly slay Titans. Only the Slayer holds knowledge of this venerated sword, for only he has been known to wield it. The blade burns with ethereal heat, immediately cauterizing flesh as it slices through."

While it makes no mention of the demonic Crucible, it does seem to suggest "the Crucible" (belonging to the Slayer) is the only weapon that can kill Titans even though the Night Sentinels used similar Argent-powered energy weapons. That would suggest the demonic Crucible wouldn't kill Titans either, though I don't see reason why it wouldn't potentially harm them at least.

It can be considered a bit ambiguous anyways since the demonic Crucible in Doom 2016 was also referred to as "the Crucible". We also don't know what specific property of the Slayer's Crucible allows it to "kill" Titans that the other Argent-powered weapons can't, besides the blue light manifesting from a Titan's body, possibly a link to the Elemental Wraiths. And since we don't know the true origins of the demonic Crucible either, it's even harder to say for sure what it's actually capable of.

On 10/30/2021 at 6:48 PM, AtimZarr1 said:

The Codex entry on The Crucible (Doom Eternal):

"A sacred relic of the Sentinel People, the Crucible remains one of the most mysterious artifacts known to man. Texts from Argent D'Nur reference the weapon in a revered, righteous manner; while Night Sentinels were known to employ similar energy-based blades in their armaments, the Crucible remains the only one powerful enough to reportedly slay Titans. Only the Slayer holds knowledge of this venerated sword, for only he has been known to wield it. The blade burns with ethereal heat, immediately cauterizing flesh as it slices through."

While it makes no mention of the demonic Crucible, it does seem to suggest "the Crucible" (belonging to the Slayer) is the only weapon that can kill Titans even though the Night Sentinels used similar Argent-powered energy weapons. That would suggest the demonic Crucible wouldn't kill Titans either, though I don't see reason why it wouldn't potentially harm them at least.

It can be considered a bit ambiguous anyways since the demonic Crucible in Doom 2016 was also referred to as "the Crucible". We also don't know what specific property of the Slayer's Crucible allows it to "kill" Titans that the other Argent-powered weapons can't, besides the blue light manifesting from a Titan's body, possibly a link to the Elemental Wraiths. And since we don't know the true origins of the demonic Crucible either, it's even harder to say for sure what it's actually capable of.

We're not sure. I guess the Crucible COULD corrupt a Titan but not banish it like a Sentinel crucible. Given how the Demonic Crucible was stated to be able to corrupt everything, I'd imagine it'd be able to corrupt even things that are demonic in origin, so, corruptoception? We're not exactly sure if the Titans are demonic or not, so I'd imagine that the only way the Demonic Crucible could kill a Titan is by corrupting it. Although the blade might be able to do SIGNIFICANT damage.

Also, I don't believe the Slayer's crucible even kills Titans, just that it puts them into stasis/a coma. Samuel did say that if the blade of a Crucible was removed, that the Titan would rise again. I have reason to believe that the blade isn't really killing the titans, just immobilizing them permanently.

Maybe the demonic one would have a greater effect than just killing or "shutting it down".

Wasn't there an audio bit from a tree in 2016 stating that even the Slayer could weep at its true power?

Maybe if the demonic crucible was a weapon, it would be far more powerfull/interesting to use than the Sentinel one but with some side effects.

Like how the Sigil from Strife uses health for ammo.

Also, off topic but was thinking about how when the Dark Lord was in a sphere and a comparison to make being to Loc-Nar from Heavy Metal.

The whole thing really makes no sense.

Like if the only way to kill a Titan is to plunge the blade of the crucible in it, and leave it there forever, and only the Slayer has ever wielded the crucible, then:

• how was the Crucible blade trick even discovered?
  • how do you explain Titan's Realm? Or other dead Titans in other levels. Isn't there a level where you have to power up a broken mech's arm cannon to blast a hole through a dead Titan's guts?
  • the BFG 10K blasted a hole to the core of Mars, are you really telling me a dinky jedi sword is the only way to kill a Titan?
  • how do you explain killing the OG Icon of Sin with just a standard issue rocket launcher and some regular UAC rockets? Doomguy had no jedi sword back in Doom II.

On 11/3/2021 at 12:28 PM, Gez said:

The whole thing really makes no sense.

Like if the only way to kill a Titan is to plunge the blade of the crucible in it, and leave it there forever, and only the Slayer has ever wielded the crucible, then:

• how was the Crucible blade trick even discovered?
  • how do you explain Titan's Realm? Or other dead Titans in other levels. Isn't there a level where you have to power up a broken mech's arm cannon to blast a hole through a dead Titan's guts?
  • the BFG 10K blasted a hole to the core of Mars, are you really telling me a dinky jedi sword is the only way to kill a Titan?
  • how do you explain killing the OG Icon of Sin with just a standard issue rocket launcher and some regular UAC rockets? Doomguy had no jedi sword back in Doom II.

The only known way to defeat a Titan is to kill it with high-powered Argent energy weapons such as the Crucible or the spears and cannons of the Atlans.

Atlans are gigantic Sentinel battle mechs, resembling a likeness of an Argenta warrior clad in green armor with a horned helmet. Atlans can be armed with large spears and/or cannons fitted on the shoulders or in the hands, which are capable of killing lesser Titans such as Hell barges; this combined with their size suggests that the Atlans were created as a means of anti-Titan warfare. Though typically powered by Argent energy, the Atlans were still in service during the Argenta Civil War, which implies they can function on Sentinel energy alone. The method by which a pilot enters or leaves an Atlan is unknown, as Atlans have no visible cockpit hatches and there are no depictions of anyone entering or leaving an Atlan.

Quoted straight from the wiki

A Crucible forces whichever Titan into a torpor state like a wooden stake would for a vampire.

In a lot of works of fiction, things that cant die still go down when damaged, but they come back eventually. This is essentially that, but forces it into that state and prevents any sort of reawakening until addressed.

Look up torpor or torpidity in fantasy. Dark entity are often mystical/supernatural. The rules dont necessarily have to make sense except give into trope. Once understood, its all about the rules. 

I find it a bit more interesting that the Doom Slayer stabbed the heart of the icon of sin, outside of its body, to "interfere" its ritual. There might actually be more to it than just the Crucible itself.

Edited by Dreamskull