Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Vaeros

AD MORTEM - a MBF21 Halloween-themed Megawad. [NEW UPDATE: Phase 3 is out!]

Greetings, to whoever made map13 - that is some competent mapmaking, and a well-calculated challenge. My hat's off to you, mysterious anon, hope there's more where this one came from.

The pistol sounds like a ghostly voice getting off, the shotgun doesn't have any sound, the submachinegun has a cocking back sound that doesn't do anything and gets annoying quick and all 3 of them don't use any ammo. I hope you can fix these for the next release cuz they're really strange and annoying

59 minutes ago, Infected Animal said:

The pistol sounds like a ghostly voice getting off, the shotgun doesn't have any sound, the submachinegun has a cocking back sound that doesn't do anything and gets annoying quick and all 3 of them don't use any ammo. I hope you can fix these for the next release cuz they're really strange and annoying

Sounds like you're not using a compatible source port.

I discovered this WAD today, one of my friends directed it to me, saying it has some of my spritework.

It's the first time my work showed up in any WAD, so naturally I was excited :)

TLDR another person is credited as the sprites author and I don't think it's fair.

Sprites are clearly copied from my work (not just inspired by, as shown in the details below).

I'll put the details in spoilers, as they may contain, well, spoilers for this WAD ;)

Spoiler

Here are sprites credits in the supplied readme (AD_MORTEM.txt):

*Sprites*

-Green Halloween Barrels, Cacolatern, HUD by Vaeros.
-"Gargoyles, Satyr, and other decoration items" from Realm667
-''Skeletons'' from Mayhem '19 
-"Rocket w/ legs, Pumpkinhead, King boner'' by Punch you in the face man

Two sets of sprites are highlighted - Rocket w/ legs and Pumpkinhead

These sprites are something I made and released as a part of my YT video project back in May - https://youtu.be/Mpcxe81k5BQ

Direct link can be found in video's description, but I'll put it here too https://bit.ly/3bRDt4a

SP00* from AD_MORTEM.WAD are copied from pumpkinman.wad

SP03* from AD_MORTEM.WAD are copied from one of the mods involving "rocket with legs" (rwlchaser.pk3, rwlpinky.pk3 or rwlpinky.wad)

The sprites are not a 100% match, but pretty darn close.

Pumpkinman was recolored

admortem2.png.e1890b2a305436773ccc30d03c833960.png

Rocket with legs looks upscaled and retouched here and there, but otherwise stays the same

admortem1.png.6e0e1a7379cc95cb2202972467c8a527.png

I've put couple of examples above, but the same is true for all the other rotational sprites. You can compare my WADs/PK3 and Ad Mortem WAD respectively.

I wouldn't care if no credit would be given at all, but actually giving the credit to another person with no mention of me as the source - not cool!

Sorry for the lengthy post, I hope it's just an honest mistake that can be cleared up :) don't want to start bad blood or anything.

@Vaeros

@punch you in the face man

21 minutes ago, borogk said:

things

Sorry about that. Definitely didn't intend to take credit for your work and I didn't even look at the credits until now. I'm guessing that Vaeros credited me because he wasn't given any other credits and assumed they were mine. We should've compiled credits for the resources we used more thoroughly before releasing the wad. There are some other sprite credits missing and those need to be cleared up for the next version. Vaeros has been MIA for a while, but I'll give him the missing credits for what I used. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and again I apologize.

1 hour ago, punch you in the face man said:

Sorry about that. Definitely didn't intend to take credit for your work and I didn't even look at the credits until now. I'm guessing that Vaeros credited me because he wasn't given any other credits and assumed they were mine. We should've compiled credits for the resources we used more thoroughly before releasing the wad. There are some other sprite credits missing and those need to be cleared up for the next version. Vaeros has been MIA for a while, but I'll give him the missing credits for what I used. Thanks for bringing this to my attention, and again I apologize.

No worries, thanks for the response! With so many resources small oversights are inevitable.

I’d never think my one-off artwork would end up in a cool project like yours :)

Cheers!

Hi guys, have been testing this in Odamex as we work on MBF21 support. A couple things:

• rsky1/rsky2/rsky3 graphics are not properly classified as patches (between the markers in the wad). Something to fix, but I think this is the only occurrence of this. In some ports, especially as MBF21 support is added, the sky may not render correctly.
  • We didn't actually make note of the specific maps, but there are some spots that can soft lock on coop. This wad is a BLAST to play with friends but it seems like you can sometimes get permanently locked out of a room.

7 hours ago, Ralphis said:

rsky1/rsky2/rsky3 graphics are not properly classified as patches (between the markers in the wad). Something to fix, but I think this is the only occurrence of this. In some ports, especially as MBF21 support is added, the sky may not render correctly.

Sorry for randomly butting in, but ideally this shouldn't make a difference. In vanilla, all it takes to add a graphic as a patch is putting it in the PNAMES lump (the PP_ markers are just an old convention from early wad editing tools and aren't actually used), and if the wad is directly replacing the RSKY* lumps then there's no need to do anything else since those are already defined in doom2.wad's PNAMES.

If Oda is doing something different, maybe there's some old-zdoom legacy code doing something weirdly? Or maybe there's something else naughty with the wad -- on my phone right now so I can't check it out myself (what vile laziness! :P )

17 hours ago, Ralphis said:

We didn't actually make note of the specific maps, but there are some spots that can soft lock on coop. This wad is a BLAST to play with friends but it seems like you can sometimes get permanently locked out of a room.

Thanks for playing, glad to hear you had fun! Do you recall at all where these points were, even by description?

Spoiler

I must also say that Double Impact is one of my cherished favorites!

15 hours ago, Xaser said:

Sorry for randomly butting in, but ideally this shouldn't make a difference. In vanilla, all it takes to add a graphic as a patch is putting it in the PNAMES lump (the PP_ markers are just an old convention from early wad editing tools and aren't actually used), and if the wad is directly replacing the RSKY* lumps then there's no need to do anything else since those are already defined in doom2.wad's PNAMES.

If Oda is doing something different, maybe there's some old-zdoom legacy code doing something weirdly? Or maybe there's something else naughty with the wad -- on my phone right now so I can't check it out myself (what vile laziness! :P )

Fantastic. Thanks for the insight @Xaser. I'm not sure why the issue is popping up then, but will explore it further.

5 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Thanks for playing, glad to hear you had fun! Do you recall at all where these points were, even by description?

Hide contents

I must also say that Double Impact is one of my cherished favorites!

We'll be running through it again many times so I'll try to get more concrete info. The library area of map05 was one of them, the cyb at the beginning of map10 presented a bit of an issue on respawn but not technically a "soft lock", and players got stuck in-place at the beginning of map13 on respawn but im not sure why at a glance. Also, thanks for the kind words and glad you enjoyed it! 

Just as a follow up, the sky thing does appear to be an Odamex behavior because the skies were not defined in the mapinfo for those maps (nor by a linedef transfer, etc). It's something that will be "fixed" in Odamex, but it might be worth defining the skies with the mapinfo keys as well as it's possible some engines will fall back to a default sky as the new editing features are standardized.

Hello. In Vaeros's absence, an anon from /vr/ stepped up and compiled some map updates and various other fixes for an unoffical v4. Includes the DecoHack source like I promised a while ago. If you'd like to play Ad Mortem I'd recommend this version for the time being. Feel free to report any bugs that still may exist.
Here are two download links:
https://mega.nz/file/erwV0IbC#LE6uNgNAXh8CkxNhZpFxY3cxMWrS6_eaO92ZdotUfho
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ng9rgx5l77wkofs/AD_MORTEMv4.zip/file

So

I've attempted running both V3 and V4 in both the lastest 64-bit and 32-bit versions of GZDoom. I'm stuck with this weird glitch where the sounds on the weapons are totally broken and my ammo doesn't actually go down when I shoot. 

36 minutes ago, CryptidWorks said:

So

I've attempted running both V3 and V4 in both the lastest 64-bit and 32-bit versions of GZDoom. I'm stuck with this weird glitch where the sounds on the weapons are totally broken and my ammo doesn't actually go down when I shoot. 

Sorry to say, but GzDoom doesn't yet support all of this MBF21 stuff, so you'll have to play it in something like DSDA.

Probably Graf will eventually add support for it, but if not, then a GzDoom patch can eventually be devised, providing replications of missing behavior. I could potentially do one of those, but it'll be no time soon, I'm very busy with my own project and I've got a lot of people waiting impatiently for me.

36 minutes ago, ChopBlock223 said:

I'm very busy with my own project and I've got a lot of people waiting impatiently for me.

94 Protons?

1 hour ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Sorry to say, but GzDoom doesn't yet support all of this MBF21 stuff, so you'll have to play it in something like DSDA.

Probably Graf will eventually add support for it, but if not, then a GzDoom patch can eventually be devised, providing replications of missing behavior. I could potentially do one of those, but it'll be no time soon, I'm very busy with my own project and I've got a lot of people waiting impatiently for me.

Downloaded DSDA with the launcher and got it working 

Thanks

I've been testing out AD MORTEM on GZDoom's dev builds, and it seems they've been ironing out the kinks of their MBF21 support. I immediately notice the gun sounds doesn't bug out compared to the stable version. I can't make anymore in-depth tests, as I've been busy with other things.

On 3/3/2022 at 8:01 PM, punch you in the face man said:

Hello. In Vaeros's absence, an anon from /vr/ stepped up and compiled some map updates and various other fixes for an unoffical v4. Includes the DecoHack source like I promised a while ago. If you'd like to play Ad Mortem I'd recommend this version for the time being. Feel free to report any bugs that still may exist.
Here are two download links:
https://mega.nz/file/erwV0IbC#LE6uNgNAXh8CkxNhZpFxY3cxMWrS6_eaO92ZdotUfho
https://www.mediafire.com/file/ng9rgx5l77wkofs/AD_MORTEMv4.zip/file

Do you know if there were any subsequent updates to this wad that would have moved toward "finalizing" it? Ad Mortem is great and it deserves an official /idgames release.

2 hours ago, Ralphis said:

Do you know if there were any subsequent updates to this wad that would have moved toward "finalizing" it? Ad Mortem is great and it deserves an official /idgames release.

The way I recall Vaeros putting is it that he wanted to wrap it up for this Halloween. Hopefully he'll return and be part of doing that, I had this map in mind I wanted to do last year but just couldn't due to bad time management and mapper's block, and I know Vaeros had more weapon reskins in mind.

The looming threat of continuing Ad Mortem puts fire in my ass, let's hope I'll have 94 Protons Of /vr/ in shape by then.

5 hours ago, ChopBlock223 said:

Hopefully he'll return and be part of doing that

Even if he doesn't, there's plenty of anons willing to take charge in his absence and finish what was started. Stay tuned.

2 hours ago, Ralphis said:

do either of you know if there are some credits floating around right now for who contributed/made some of the custom sprites and textures?

There's a newer unofficial version of Ad Mortem with updated credits, should have everything. Didn't get around to posting it here for a while because I'm not the one who made it.

https://mega.nz/folder/e7Al3RyJ#5wvEjr9AupzvZzTcYDqFzg

I just want to point out that the WAD works pretty fine and it's playable with the latest version of GZDoom. I hadn't checked that out before, My bad!