Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Liberation

1000 Lines 3: Community Project - V1.0 Released

Hi all, RC2 is underway although still holding fire till some more feedback comes in. Really glad to see people enjoying this, nearly up to 500 downloads which is totally awesome.

A quick note for Gzdoom players, Doom (strict) compat setting does unfortunately mess with map30. This will be fixed come the next version, but I would recommend playing with the default gzd comp setting, a fair few compat options have been set in the mapinfo anyway.

14 hours ago, Suitepee said:

1k Lines 4 when?

No plans for 1000 lines goes forth, yet.. Despite me thinking of that snazzy title just now and some discussion over using MBF21 for something one day.. I think 1k will be having a break for a year or so. But we will see :-) 

I also discovered a cheese strategy for a fight on Map10. Once you get the blue key, you can get the monsters to teleport without jumping down from the platform (and then just let them infight until the cyberdemons kill most of the enemies). I suggest making the platform lower once blue key is obtained/monsters are activated.

Hello! Not quite RC2 time just yet, however we do have a patch for people using GZDoom or Eternity engine.

Download removed, go get RC2.

GZDoom fixes:

1. New mapinfo and Language lump, intermission texts will now work.

2. Map30 telefrag is on.

Eternity fixes: 

1. New options lump, sets Map30 telefrag to on.

Please make sure to run this after 1k3v1RC1a.wad in the load order.

Just finished my playthrough, and there's a lot of great maps in there. Just like with the previous set, you can barely even tell that there was a restriction on the mapmakers. Big standout to me was Antares' entry which looks gorgeous and plays well on top. I also greatly enjoyed the hectic opening section of Bridgeburner's map.

I'm not a big fan of the custom enemies though, but that's just me. The plasma guy has a similar color scheme as the shotgunner and can deal a ton of damage when you fail to spot one, and the quick flying gargoyle is just annoying. However, the worst enemy is this one. This one right here:

Spoiler

Mv2iB4S.png

I call it the Rocket Catcher 9000.

Just finished a UV playthrough with pistol starts, and enjoyed it a lot.

- I liked the custom monsters but the gargoyles can be hard to track on darker textures... the combination of smallness and speed can make them a hit herky-jerky at times.

- The assault rifle and the reduced Lost Soul health make Pain Elementals a bit of a pushover.

- I love the fast weapon switching but Doom purists will probably not. It lets you be much more aggressive in selecting the right weapon for the situation, and some of the encounters on UV will be very difficult if you don't take advantage.
- Episode 1 was fun but aesthetically it probably feels the 1k line restriction the most. OTEX makes everything look good for the most part, but E1 just looks "blockier".

- I found episode 3 to be easier than episode 2, mainly because E2 feels tighter on ammo and health at times. Maps 21 through 28 didn't give me much trouble, but maybe I just got good by that point.

- Fuck that cyberdemon on MAP15. IMO if you want to encourage the player to let it live and telefrag it at the end, you have to add some cover around the lift so you don't eat rockets while using it.

- MAP29 has a crazy hot start (made even spicier for me since it took me 5 minutes to find the SSG which is like 50 feet from the spawn), but the rest of the map is not as much of an ordeal as I was expecting. Kudos to BB for giving the player the space and weaponry to go wild.

- MAP32 on the other hand is very much an ordeal, and the only map where I had to save more than once. If there's a way to cheese it, I never found it, and the invuln pretty much feels like a requirement to beat the third wave. Slaughter fans will love it.

- MAP30 is really creative, props for pulling it off in Vanilla. The teleport lines in the pit of the projectile hell section feel janky and hard to find though, that's definitely an area that could have used more lines (or ActorHitsFloor specials) if they were available.

5 hours ago, Liberation said:

Hey folks, time for RC2! This should hopefully be the final release prior to being uploaded onto idgames.

So you've decided not to include UMAPINFO with the episode selection?

Nice changes. Though I wish Map05 had received some changes as well. That map is kind of weak in both layout/aesthetics (mostly flat) and gameplay wise (mostly consists of just low tier enemies). Some touches to the aesthetics and monsters should do it.

Edited by ReaperAA

11 hours ago, ginc said:

- Fuck that cyberdemon on MAP15. IMO if you want to encourage the player to let it live and telefrag it at the end, you have to add some cover around the lift so you don't eat rockets while using it.

Agreed with this as well, now that I think about it. It would definitely be better to add cover around the lift.

I was fortunate to keep myself safe from the cyberdemon's rocket on my playthorugh because it didn't attack me at that point.

13 hours ago, ginc said:

1 hour ago, ReaperAA said:

Agreed with this as well, now that I think about it. It would definitely be better to add cover around the lift.

As the proud owner of that Cyberdemon on Map 15, the only thing I will say is this: you don't have to stand around the lift waiting for him to shoot you.  You can activate it, run away from it, and then run back onto it before it raises. 

3 hours ago, rfomin said:

So you've decided not to include UMAPINFO with the episode selection?

No, not at all! Ok, I did forget slightly, but that can go in with the V1.0 along with the demos etc etc (I will also credit you). 

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Some touches to the aesthetics and monsters should do it.

I think we could probably squeeze a few tweaks in, I will have a look later and have a chat with the mapper.

a very fun mappack 
and its also nice to see these levels being made with limits and still look great 

1 hour ago, Bauul said:

As the proud owner of that Cyberdemon on Map 15, the only thing I will say is this: you don't have to stand around the lift waiting for him to shoot you.  You can activate it, run away from it, and then run back onto it before it raises. 

Lowering the lift and backing from it is easy. The harder part is timing the lift so you get on it just as it is about to go up again. Slight timing miscalculation can result death here.

7 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

Lowering the lift and backing from it is easy. The harder part is timing the lift so you get on it just as it is about to go up again. Slight timing miscalculation can result death here.

Good. It's supposed to be a challenge. :P

On 11/24/2021 at 3:04 AM, Bauul said:

I did manage this a few times, its not crazy hard... but it is easier to just save ammo (via berserk and infighting) and kill the bastard before using the lift :)

Also, maybe I was just a little salty because one of the times I left him alive, he sniped me in the final arena

I know that this is hasn't even reached a final version yet. But given how fun the maps are and the fact that these are vanilla maps, it would cool to see 1000lines3 added to the unity port as an addon.

2 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

added to the unity port

That'd require some work to sort out textures based on images of dubious origin. Certainly doable and I'd love to have some OTEX representation on there, but it's a non-trivial effort. 

I played through the other two 1k lines. This will be the first 1k lines that I don't play.

Dehacked ruins mods. I was willing to forgo my monsters changes but I can't even load up a weapon mod because I get a fatal error when trying to load claiming that the TFOG sprite is apparently missing. I'm used to some fuckery when trying to combine mods and dehacked but I can't remember the last time I couldn't even load a mod.

10 minutes ago, Bryan T said:

I played through the other two 1k lines. This will be the first 1k lines that I don't play.

Dehacked ruins mods. I was willing to forgo my monsters changes but I can't even load up a weapon mod because I get a fatal error when trying to load claiming that the TFOG sprite is apparently missing. I'm used to some fuckery when trying to combine mods and dehacked but I can't remember the last time I couldn't even load a mod.

why does this preclude you from playing the set? you can just.... idk... play it vanilla...?

Edit: PS- don't make me tap the pinned post.

6 hours ago, RomDump said:

Love the music change to map 16. So much more bouncy.

Since Influx was very Descent-like (which was my intent) and didn't quite work with the episode theme, we've decided that using Pathfinder was a much better choice in the end.

Hey folks, just dropping in a new hotfix for 1k3rc3.wad, this is for GZDoom only and fixes the plasma zombies cell drop pick ups giving the players bullets and not cells.

Please load it after 1k3rc3.wad.

I think, I have discovered a bug on map 04.

On prboom complevel 2 the revenants near rocket launcher do not rise high enough. As a result, kills-100% cannot be obtained.

It is also a bit sad that backtracking on this map is impossible.

13 minutes ago, Azure_Horror said:

On prboom complevel 2 the revenants near rocket launcher do not rise high enough. As a result, kills-100% cannot be obtained.

Thanks for the bug report, will certainly be checking this out and getting it fixed. Thank you.

The back tracking is something that is down to the mapper tho, but it might get looked at again.

This probably isn't a huge deal, but I just realised that there is no GLDEFS lump (dynamic lights) for new monster projectiles in GZDoom. Again, not a huge issue because most enemies I have noticed have correct projectile lights and the only ones that don't have dynamic lights at all are the new yellow (imp/caco/gargoyle) projectiles and the flame projectiles.

If could take a look into implementing this if you want, but I won't be able do implement it before next Friday (due to real life stuff).

3 hours ago, ReaperAA said:

I could take a look into implementing this if you want, but I won't be able do implement it before next Friday (due to real life stuff).

Ok nvm, I actually managed to make these: 1k3rc3_dlights.zip

This should also be compatible with Zandronum. Only one issue is that the projectiles thrown by flame tower don't have dynamic lights, because I was not able to implement them due lack of decorate entry for this projectile

However, the flame projectiles of Hell Scorchers (which are identical in looks to the flame tower projectiles, but otherwise a different entity) have their dynamic lights implemented.