Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BrassKnight

Mappers, what was your biggest project?

Just something that came pop in my mind a while back when I saw some of the crazy stuff people made in the Doom Pictures Thread, stuff someone wouldn't imagine being in the Doom engine. So it got me thinking "These guys must have done a lot of maps to get this far." so now I ask, what was the biggest project that you've made or atleast the project that your most proud of? It can even a single map or a contribution to another project if you want.

In terms of sheer time and effort, for me it's unsurprisingly Elementalism.  I've probably put in 10+ hours on it each week for the past four years. 

It's actually pretty close to being finished, so it'll be nice to finally have people be able to play it rather than me just talk about it!

I'm surprised I had Phocas Island 2 come out as well as it did. Some of it was different pieces cobbled together and I somehow made it all work. I miss those days of being completely absorbed in working on a project. These days I can't seem to work on something more than a week or two, maybe once a year or two.

Simple question, simple answer, my biggest project is

My biggest project is my college campus mod which I started 20 years ago in December 2001 for Doom2 and then extended to Zdoom & Gzdoom. 

MAP15 of Mutiny for sure. It was a blast working with dt_ on that one, learned a lot about layout design while making it.

I'd also like to mention MAP10 of Nova II that I did with Impboy, my first collab map and I still love the fact that most of the map was made at a 45 degree angle.

Dancing in the Abyss has been my biggest undertaking so far, while it was supposed to be just a mapset, it's ended up becoming a total conversion with a lot of bits and pieces left to go, but well worth all the love.

Man on the moon. This is my best released (hehe) creation but, as far as unreleased creations, I have 2 maps that I'm extremely proud of ;) 

The DeadTech community project, which has consumed me from mid-late 2019 till yesterday, but was the most fun I've had so far with some awesome people and was a valuable learning experience.
But I have something bigger on the horizon of the TC flavor and hoo boy, that .....might take some time.

If we're including WIP projects, it will definitely be Dwelling. Single, extensive, gothic MBF21 map, to be brief. It's a revamp of Demonkind's Dwelling and I've been slowly working on it since April this year.

As for released, it's hard to say as a good number of my stuff lately have been small single maps and community project contributions. I'd say the biggest undertaking so far was my previous mapset Bloodbath; a month or two putting together eight difficult maps. There's a LOT of stuff in there that should've been fixed, but I consider it groundbreaking for me, as it's where I experimented with strategic, gimmicky gameplay and making large vistas with only the stock textures. It's also where my largest map to date lies - MAP06: Against the Spirits, and it was pretty much where I started to gain traction and get some actual playtesting. Only my second mapset...and from earlier this year...god, I hate time.

Of course, these wouldn't be here without various support and feedback in this community. :)

For me, it's Frantik DM - my deathmatch megawad.

Definitely took the longest out of the projects I've done thus far.

Eschatology, easily.  It's the one I'm most proud of so far, and one that I've put the most work into. 

As far as finished projects go, probably Umbra of Fate.  It's a single map, but I sunk a HUGE amount of work into it and it remains my most personal work.  SoTNR may have taken longer overall, but UoF had probably double the work put into it.  I'm also far more proud of UoF for some reason.  Eschatology is probably the only project I've done that has surpassed it in terms of energy put into it.

If it counts, I was the former organizer of the How I saw '95 community project, then quit over stress happening at school.

For me since i'm still new to mapping, I guess the biggest project would be Booked and G-theme wad. those are the only ones i have contribution to so far.

Yes i'm happy that i did maps just to prove that i can make maps and someday make insane maps with insane architectures......and maybe a shit ton of flame boi's and spooky boners.

4 hours ago, Chopkinsca said:

I'm surprised I had Phocas Island 2 come out as well as it did. Some of it was different pieces cobbled together and I somehow made it all work. I miss those days of being completely absorbed in working on a project. These days I can't seem to work on something more than a week or two, maybe once a year or two.

I really love that wad. Very inspiring and incredibly interesting and fleshed out. I feel the comments on burnout, if you aren't careful it comes for us all. Thanks for all your work. 

Biggest project I did was BoomHor back in 2015, which was basically 14 DOS Boom-compatible maps of pain. I was originally going to make a full megaWAD before losing interest near the end of 2015.

I will warn you all, that bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. Some of these maps are just filler(UMAPINFO doesn't exist in the original DOS Boom), some of these maps are too random and unorganised, and all of these map are broken to some extent. Also I changed some of the enemies to annoying 2015 memes. Don't expect it to rerelease here anytime soon.

Still, though, there is no contest in terms of what the biggest Doom project I've ever done is. As I've decided a year later to prioritise quality over quantity, this one old map pack is most likely going to stay the biggest Doom project I've ever done... ever.

For me personally, Arceon, even tho it's a really small mapset, it was developed on and off in a period of 2 years (it was my nanowadmo project for 2020 and 2019 heh), the last map fell a bit into magnum opus syndrome, which took me a couple of months to complete and it exhausted me from doom once i was done with it for a while. 

That said, it's the project im most proud of, since it reflects the type of gameplay i enjoy the most

25 Years on Earth (One Year Late Edition) is probably the most cumulative work on any one project, being a full megaWAD and all, but Warpzone, Virus (the shareware Episode 1 and the monster pack for ZDoom Wars) and “Coils of the Twisted Tale” (Quicky 2, laughably) felt like bigger projects. Particularly Virus, with all of the crappy pixel art.

Turns out smaller, bite-sized maps don’t just feel easier and quicker to play through, even in bulk.

mmm there's an hour threshold with my Doom work which when crossed means the project's abandoned, even when I'm still thinking about it. most of what I've released has been made quickly and escaped the gravity of my own constant re-evaluation

some projects I've tanked by looking at them for a thousand hours: drawing down the moon, tivauri, my own zekhmet maps (five attempts), the greyknurl

I spent two months on this. That's the longest time I've ever spent on anything with my short attention span

Anything else no more than a week

I'm personally working on a deathmatch wad that unites all my previous wads and improves them just for DM.

I am also working on GRAVED and it's cool. I like  it.